What's new

Grooming Dept club

Agreed. Chatillon Lux and Maol Grooming are two vendors who make alcohol-based aftershaves that have a balm-like quality. I'm sure Mo can figure it out, too.

You're on point Scott. I believe Mo can figure it out. Hopefully sooner than later. But, I'm still gong to dive in and give one or two of his splashes a go. The alcohol would have a welcomed ingredient for my needs. We'll see how it goes once released.

Happy shaves to you brother... :punk:

My package from Grooming Department arrived today. Along with a new soap, the package contained a pre-shave compound and skin serum. Impressive customer service.

upload_2019-6-10_14-17-51.png

I've enjoyed each of his products so far. The quality of GD is elite. I expect his AS to be the same. Looking forward to the release!

One reason why GD gets all my money. I shaved with my fougère this morning and it has such amazing feel and I love the scent.

This soap is to hard to get. It’s always sold out

There are two soaps in his store right now that have been available since early May and 6 new ones to be released on Friday. The notion that these soaps are hard to get is an old one when he didn't produce as much. Now his batches are over a hundred per and he seems to be releasing several soaps at once.

Yesterday I received a replacement for a Grooming Department shaving soap. Included in the package was a product labeled Pre-Shave. Full disclosure: I did not order nor pay for this product and was not asked to review it. You can read about how this came to be by going here. Look at posts #156 and 162 for the background.

This is what the product looks like and the paper that came with the pre-shave:
Pre.jpg GD Instructins.jpg

At one time I used pre-shave oil every day. However, for the past three years, I have rarely used any oil or other product.

I washed my face with Neutrogena Liquid face soap - which is part of my normal procedure. [I shower after I shave.] I loaded my brush with soap. The soap I used is a mixture of Wilkinson and DeVergulde shave sticks that I have grated and put into a container. I used the same soap for the past few shaves. My razor was the GEM 1912 with a GEM PTFE blade which was used four times previously. I followed the instructions and dampened my face with water. I then put my finger in the pre-shave mixture and took out a small amount of the mixture. My finger and hands were wet. I rubbed my face and neck with the finger and then massaged my face and neck with my hand for about a minute. I was surprised at how slippery my face felt after a while. I then took the loaded brush to my face and lathered up. The pre-shave mixture did not have any adverse impact on the lather. The razor glided over my face on the first pass and I could not feel the blade even though the blade had four shaves on it. I then dampened my face and neck in between each pass and applied lather. I did my usual four-pass shave. The razor glided over my face with each pass. The slickness this pre-shave has is quite remarkable.

When I used cold water to clean my face I could still feel the slickness. I decided to use an alum block to see the results and I got zero sting from the alum.

I will use this product for a while and try different razors and soaps. However, I am very impressed with the first use of this product.

Attachments

• GD Instructins.jpg
    GD Instructins.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 64
Nice Review! Good to hear about this product. I personally don't ever use preshave products. This makes me rethink that decision.

I have been using the GD preshave for several months, and enjoy it a great deal. I notice a significant improvement on slickness & post shave feel, regardless of what soap I’m using. Thank you for the nice review, I agree with you about the preshave. I’m glad to see you rubbed it on your damp face for a long time. The effects improve the longer you rub/lather on your face.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-18-19.PreShave.GD.Vespers.Peacock.640.JPG

Grooming Dept Preshave makes all soaps better and it makes Grooming Dept soaps even better than they already are in my experience with the products.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Something that isn’t mentioned at all when talking about this product is how good a deal it is. It lasts a LONG time. I’m not even 1/10 of the way through a jar of it and i’ve been using it every shave (i.e. every 2 days) since February. One jar will easily last two years. I bought two and actually regret not waiting to buy the other. Simply because i don’t want it to go bad before i can finish the first one! Seriously though i’m quite impressed by how much you get for the price.

Every time I check Grooming Department's website, every flavor of pre-shave is sold out!

@Macduff -- feeling PIFfy?

In fact i am mumble! I’ve been PIF’d a razor, brush, soap and blades since i’ve joined this forum and because i have a pretty lean kit (by choice) i have yet to be able to PIF anything despite wanting to. Just send me your address and i’ll ship it out to you this week. It’s an unused 4oz jar of cedarwood and lime.

Top Bottom