What's new

Final Setup

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For those who’ve been around a while, what is your final setup? I’m not talking desert island setups where you have to chose from your existing stuff what you would be forced to use exclusively for the rest of your life.

I’m talking about, of all the stuff you’ve tried over the years, what have you settled on as your go to items on a regular consistent basis. I’m talking real life, where you still have and occasionally use other stuff, but your final setup is what you always come back to, or restock, or reach for instinctively. It’s the setup that you could actually use exclusively for the rest of your life if you had to, but you still try other stuff and appreciate it all the more.

For me it’s:
EJ89 razor
Feather blade
Omega badger brush (can’t remember model)
Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap
Speick after shave
I tossed Tabac shave soap in the picture because it runs tag team with MWF.

19B4278A-EC98-4442-A578-9CDB2E53DAEF.jpeg

Many of you may not be there yet, or even want to be. That’s OK. For me, when I first came to B&B fifteen years ago, this was kind of my goal. Over the years I tried a lot of shave stuff and had a lot of fun. There were many distractions and even a sabbatical or two along the way and finally this is what a mountain of stuff boils down to for me.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Still searching and having fun trying things out. I do come back to Proraso Soaps quite often. I have not “settled down” yet. Thanks for sharing and for supporting the forum for 15 years.

For those who’ve been around a while, what is your final setup? I’m not talking desert island setups where you have to chose from your existing stuff what you would be forced to use exclusively for the rest of your life.

I’m talking about, of all the stuff you’ve tried over the years, what have you settled on as your go to items on a regular consistent basis. I’m talking real life, where you still have and occasionally use other stuff, but your final setup is what you always come back to, or restock, or reach for instinctively. It’s the setup that you could actually use exclusively for the rest of your life if you had to, but you still try other stuff and appreciate it all the more.

For me it’s:
EJ89 razor
Feather blade
Omega badger brush (can’t remember model)
Mitchell’s Wool Fat shaving soap
Speick after shave
I tossed Tabac shave soap in the picture because it runs tag team with MWF.

View attachment 988214

Many of you may not be there yet, or even want to be. That’s OK. For me, when I first came to B&B fifteen years ago, this was kind of my goal. Over the years I tried a lot of shave stuff and had a lot of fun. There were many distractions and even a sabbatical or two along the way and finally this is what a mountain of stuff boils down to for me.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

Van der Hagen Razor with short handle
Astra SP blades
Williams Mug Soap
Cremo horsehair brush

I only spent $97.11 and about five months to find my version of perfection.

Still figuring it out. What I do know, though, after going down the "premium razor" rabbit hole, is that price and "premium" mean nothing.

That said, Tabac soap, Grooming Department preshave and the .84 Gamechanger are front runners.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

These seem to be the items I come back to the most the last couple of years. As you said I do use other items but these are the ones I come back to the most.

Whipped Dog synthetic brush
Parker 97R razor
Nivea shave stick (fairly new item but I love it.)
Captain's Choice Bay Rum aftershave

I could live with just these items if I had to.

Nivea_WD.JPG

These seem to be the items I come back to the most the last couple of years. As you said I do use other items but these are the ones I come back to the most.

Parker 97R razor

I used a sample size of the Captains Choice aftershave and I was very impressed.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Still searching and having fun trying things out. I do come back to Proraso Soaps quite often. I have not “settled down” yet. Thanks for sharing and for supporting the forum for 15 years.

No worries. No one says you have to settle down.

Final setup?

[cue maniacal laughter and public health employees approaching with nervous caution]

I know, right. For me, it just sort of happened. I think the Simpson Chubby was the last straw. I’d heard its praises sung for years and once I finally got one it just sits there unused. That Omega that I picked up in Barcelona is the style that I have always preferred and being able to select it from a large stock in a quaint shop makes it even more special, besides simply outperforming every other brush that I’ve tried.

Van der Hagen Razor with short handle
Astra SP blades
Williams Mug Soap
Cremo horsehair brush

I only spent $97.11 and about five months to find my version of perfection.

Very frugal.

Still figuring it out. What I do know, though, after going down the "premium razor" rabbit hole, is that price and "premium" mean nothing.

That said, Tabac soap, Grooming Department preshave and the .84 Gamechanger are front runners.

The value of quality is definitely subjective. Sometimes premium just means higher end materials and of course if made in smaller quantities the price is much higher. Some people don’t mind paying for those extras, but I agree that it is not an indicator that it will perform any better.

Parker 97R razor

View attachment 988220

Nice picture, thanks for sharing that. And yes, you still get to use other stuff. :thumbsup:

Razorock SLAB - only razor i've used since the end of 2014. The last of the three razors i've purchased in 45 plus years of shaving.
Big Bruce synthetic brush, Razorock as well.
Polsilver blade - managed 100 shaves from one blade, works for me
White or green Proraso Soap
3P Aftershave balm
dave

Last edited:
No, no finality yet. Or ever. I have a few things I use every shave: a Utilemud shaving bowl, a vintage Floris brush rebadgered by Whipped Dog five years ago, a Fatboy, Gillette Silver Blue blades. I even have 30s Listerine froggy blade bank.

Being on a sabbatical, I am using hard lots of creams and soaps and AS splashes. Some are emerging as favorites, but not just one: MdC Rose is best, but I love LPL Rose de Pushkar, Soap Commander Love, Tcheon Fung Sing Bergamotto Neroli, Speick cream. Aftershaves: D. R. Harris Pink, 4711 cologne, Fine Italian Citrus, Speick. See? Too many for a final software setup.

I’ve been a bb member for 12.5 years.

I use a different soap every day. I could go months without a repeat.

That said, Razorock 24 barrel brushes are what I use most.

Rockwell 6S and blackland blackbird are my go to razors.

Anything platinum from PPI is my go to blade.

That's a great set up. Many beginners start with the EJ89 ( I did) and then ask what the next upgrade. Funny how after 15 years your choice of razor is an EJ89. The EJ89 is an awesome razor and you do not need to upgrade.

For me it's this set up

Weber or Filarmonica
Shavemac 3 band Silvertip
TOBS Avocado
Fine Aftershave- Platinum or Lavender

My two favorite Schick Injectors, and SOC Boar Brush. Stirling is my favorite soap.

Clayton
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I’ve been at this for the past 5 years and still haven’t figured out my “go to” setup.

However, I’m definitely leaning towards it including a Schick injector (my E4), a Semogue boar brush and maybe a tub of TOBS.

Again, I’m still figuring it out.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That's a great set up. Many beginners start with the EJ89 ( I did) and then ask what the next upgrade. Funny how after 15 years your choice of razor is an EJ89. The EJ89 is an awesome razor and you do not need to upgrade.

For me it's this set up

Weber or Filarmonica
Shavemac 3 band Silvertip
TOBS Avocado
Fine Aftershave- Platinum or Lavender

I like your observation. I have been desirous of a fancy SS razor for some time. I just haven’t given it priority because I haven’t felt a need other than simply wanting to have one. I do have a SS handle on my DE89 because it came as a free gift with one of my orders and I do prefer it over the original DE89L handle.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I’ve been at this for the past 5 years and still haven’t figured out my “go to” setup.

However, I’m definitely leaning towards it including a Schick injector (my E4), a Semogue boar brush and maybe a tub of TOBS.

Again, I’m still figuring it out.

There’s a lot of enjoyment that goes into figuring it out. I sometimes wonder if I didn’t just get distracted by other things in life and this is simply where my shave journey has settled in.

Interesting thing though. Every single shave reminds me of all the good times and great interactions I’ve had here on B&B.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My two favorite Schick Injectors, and SOC Boar Brush. Stirling is my favorite soap.

Clayton
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics!

After all these years I still don’t have an injector.

EJ89 razor and silvertip brush, both come from Chrome Bulbous set.
Soap: Nùavia, with Martin de Candre in tow. Or vice versa.
Post shave: Jack Black Double Duty, Saponificio Varesino Pro Victis for occasional rougher shaves.
Blade: haven't found yet. Shortlisted are Personna and Bluebeard's Revenge. Merkur blades are mentioned.
IMG_0283.JPG

Oy. I have been at this since '66, tho only the last few years as a shaving maven. We over think this whisker reduction business a lot, probably. Retired, I have time for such things these days. I mean, how many times a day can I check the Dow?

Razor: I am pretty happy with my nickel over brass Schone OC. ($20 from Alrossa.)

Brush: really like my Muhle STF and Omega premium boars (Connaught).

Soaps: MWF, D.R. Harris lavender, Cade are all swell.

Blades: Polsilver, Gillete yellows are top tier for me.

Aftershaves: AV Musk is my #1, but I am a less is more guy when it comes to scent.

If you were to force my hand and make me pick one set up to stick with, instead of enjoying the immense variety of quality products on offer, I would likely go with the following:

Karve CB razor with an OC "B" plate
Feather Blades
Omega Boar brush
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigar Soap, Balm, Splash and Cologne
Thayer's Witch Hazel Cucumber
Nivea for Men Sensitive Skin Balm.

Top Bottom