What's new

ATT SE1 vs ATT SE1

Having had the aluminium version of the SE1 for a good few months now I think it's pretty much the best performer from my 40 or so DE and SE razors. This got me pondering whether I should get the stainless steel SE1, or opt for an alternative AC-type razor from another producer, like Blackland (although the latter would be very expensive here in the UK).
So, does the stainless steel SE1 shave in pretty much the same way as the aluminium version, or are there perceptible differences which would make it worth my while to buy one? Any thought welcome.

I also have the aluminium SE1. Gives a very good shave with P-30s. I have the 6C which I use on R4. Gives a very good shave with 7 o'clock Yellows. The two of them sit on my shelf next to a couple of Ever-Ready 1912s. When I go to shave I look at all of them and pick up the ER 1912. It's loud, it makes music.

So my answer would be to pick up an ER 1912 on eBay for probably around £5-6 shipped, get some Personna PTFE blades from Connaught (I bought 200) and see what happens from there. If you're like me it will be a revelation. If you already have a GEM or an ER I can't answer your question.

IIt's supposed to be the same exact razor head as the SS as far as I know. I had to get use to the extra weight. I to feel the SE1 the best razor I've ever used. I chose not to buy the Vector, I've used many SE razors and don't think anything is better than the SE1. One review said the Vector was milder/less efficient than the SE1.

There's not much difference between the Hawk, SE1, El Jefe, General and Cobra. I find the SE1 to be the best and think the Vector will not offer anything better. The SE2, Asylum RX and from what I heard about the Claymore, they're more aggressive razors.

For me, from the reviews, if I bought the Vector, I would have a razor that's close in performance to what I already have.

For me, from the reviews, if I bought the Vector, I would have a razor that's close in performance to what I already have.

Thanks for the input. I have wondered about the Claymore V3 for something different from what I already have, but it's out of production atm and it seems there's some doubt over whether a V4 will ever be made.

Thanks for the input. I have wondered about the Claymore V2 for something different from what I already have, but it's out of production atm and it seems there's some doubt over whether a V3 will ever be made.

I agree with rabidus here - many of the AC razors are pretty similar in mechanical design, and the ATT SE1 is a good example. You may not get anything substantially different unless you're talking about a Paradigm or an Asylum. Do you have a GEM style razor yet?

Though I've never owned either the SE1 or the Aluminum SE1 I have owned both the Aluminum and still have the Stainless General and can verify the shave is a night / day difference in both smoothness and efficiency. From what I have read in past posts about the Aluminum and Stainless versions of the RazoRock Hawk, (I've owned the Aluminum), it is exactly the same.

With that said my take would be that there would also be a difference as such in the Aluminum and Stainless SE1's just the same. There aren't many reviews between the Alum / SS SE1's to compare out there but I did find a couple in a search for the aluminum version....

ATT Aluminum Single Edge razor first shave
Comparison of ATT Calypso SE1 vs Razorock Hawk v1

Though I've never owned either the SE1 or the Aluminum SE1 I have owned both the Aluminum and still have the Stainless General and can verify the shave is a night / day difference in both smoothness and efficiency. From what I have read in past posts about the Aluminum and Stainless versions of the RazoRock Hawk, (I've owned the Aluminum), it is exactly the same.

With that said my take would be that there would also be a difference as such in the Aluminum and Stainless SE1's just the same. There aren't many reviews between the Alum / SS SE1's to compare out there but I did find a couple in a search for the aluminum version....

ATT Aluminum Single Edge razor first shave
Comparison of ATT Calypso SE1 vs Razorock Hawk v1

The difference between a light razor and a heavy one is "pressure"! We get stuck with a technique from either side!

If you get use to the light razor and find the heavy one too aggressive, you probably didn't adjust for the heavier weight and lighten your touch.

If you're use to the heavy razor and find the light razor too mild, you probably didn't just and use more pressure.

I have been guilty of this, we get stuck with our technique and expect every razor to conform to our technique instead of learning the new razor and adjusting our technique to get the best out of it.

The night and day difference is more than likely from two different weight razors used with the same exact technique! IMHO...

The difference between a light razor and a heavy one is "pressure"! We get stuck with a technique from either side!

If you get use to the light razor and find the heavy one too aggressive, you probably didn't adjust for the heavier weight and lighten your touch.

If you're use to the heavy razor and find the light razor too mild, you probably didn't just and use more pressure.

I have been guilty of this, we get stuck with our technique and expect every razor to conform to our technique instead of learning the new razor and adjusting our technique to get the best out of it.

The night and day difference is more than likely from two different weight razors used with the same exact technique! IMHO...
I can't really argue with what you said and agree that the weight of each razor played a role, for me at least and can't speak for anyone else, but I found that the SS General just felt more comfortable to me than the Aluminum version.

As to the quality of shave, (efficiency), this is where I am talking as to night / day difference, the Aluminum left me needing to shave within 24 hrs and with the Stainless I don't need to shave for at least 48 hrs!! That to me is a night / day difference and I'm not the only person that thinks this way. I have read posts from a few people that feel the same way. The Aluminum version shave just couldn't come close to the Stainless version in terms of lasting. As to the design of both versions, they are identical so technically they should be near identical in quality of shave but they weren't even close.

When we're talking weight, what handles come into this? A fair comparison would be exactly the same overall weight, but with either the aluminium or the SS head. So in other words, the SS would have a lighter handle and a balance point more towards the head, while the aluminium version would have a heavier handle and a balance point further down the handle. I would have to do that comparison to know whether a SS head made that much difference in itself. The balance would be different, but would the solidity/blade rigidity be the same or different? Those are the two factors I'd see coming into it.

the Aluminum left me needing to shave within 24 hrs and with the Stainless I don't need to shave for at least 48 hrs!! That to me is a night / day difference and I'm not the only person that thinks this way. I have read posts from a few people that feel the same way.

What I'm trying saying is, if you were to apply the right amount pressure with the aluminum version, you can get the shave to last just as long without losing any comfort!

I prefer a heavier razor to use a lighter touch and I can add more pressure when needed.

Many people will add a heavier handle to a Tech head and say the razor is more efficient than with the light handle, the only thing that changed was the weight. The added weight was more pressure in it of itself, which added to an increase in efficiency.

@Stan at ATT says the the only difference between the aluminum and stainless steel is the weight.

I say, The difference in results will be determined by technique.

Last edited:
@Stan at ATT says the the only difference between the aluminum and stainless steel is the weight. The difference in results will be determined by technique.

Stan's an engineer, I assume, and that's an engineers answer. I don't see a "night and day" difference unless the total weight was different, i.e. lighter razor versus heavier razor. Keep the overall weight the same and I don't see "night and day" happening, though maybe something more subtle.

Stan's an engineer, I assume, and that's an engineers answer. I don't see a "night and day" difference unless the total weight was different, i.e. lighter razor versus heavier razor. Keep the overall weight the same and I don't see "night and day" happening, though maybe something more subtle.

I edited my post!

What I'm trying saying is, if you were to apply the right amount pressure with the aluminum version, you can get the shave to last just as long without losing any comfort!

I don't agree with this at all as I had tried to use more pressure to get better results and I had the opposite effect with quite a bit of irritation and discomfort to go along with it... The only pressure that worked with the aluminum is the same as with the stainless, close to zero pressure. Just let the razor glide across the surface.

I used the Aluminum version for several months and maybe longer and can attest that as my technique got better, so did the results, or so I thought. Though at the end of using the aluminum version it wasn't until I shaved with the Stainless version that I immediately noticed the difference. I wouldn't say that right away I was not needing to shave for 48 hrs but it was at least 30-36 overnight. That I would consider night / day...

Do I believe this has to do with the weight difference and technique as opposed to one or the other, yes and no!! Yes because physics tells me so in being heavier its going to shave more aggressively but, no in the sense of I did absolutely nothing in changing my technique at the time. Same light touch and same shave pattern and or direction. It was exactly the same and wasn't until earlier this year that I really noticed the shave lasting longer and longer. I'd say it wasn't until comparing the shave side by side with my Ti Timeless .95 SB that really made me take notice of how long the shave was lasting.

I don't think that even if I had the aluminum version today that there would be much of a difference, if any difference at all from the 24 hrs I was at. I just felt that with an immediate difference in efficiency from the 1st shave with the stainless version, what was I to gain by keeping the aluminum version sitting on a shelf collecting dust and sold it as it wasn't of any use to me anymore. Any and all razors from my journey that I never received the quality of results as I do today were sold off immediately as I saw no reason at all to keep them. I'm just like that!!

Again, I can somewhat agree with you, but at the same time, not fully as it was several months before my technique really improved with the stainless version to get to where I'm at today and it is a difference that I can only describe as night and day...

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking in circles now and think maybe the thread could benefit more if this doesn't continue for now... I gave my observations to the OP and will leave it at that...

I don't agree with this at all as I had tried to use more pressure to get better results and I had the opposite effect with quite a bit of irritation and discomfort to go along with it... The only pressure that worked with the aluminum is the same as with the stainless, close to zero pressure. Just let the razor glide across the surface.

I used the Aluminum version for several months and maybe longer and can attest that as my technique got better, so did the results, or so I thought. Though at the end of using the aluminum version it wasn't until I shaved with the Stainless version that I immediately noticed the difference. I wouldn't say that right away I was not needing to shave for 48 hrs but it was at least 30-36 overnight. That I would consider night / day...

Do I believe this has to do with the weight difference and technique as opposed to one or the other, yes and no!! Yes because physics tells me so in being heavier its going to shave more aggressively but, no in the sense of I did absolutely nothing in changing my technique at the time. Same light touch and same shave pattern and or direction. It was exactly the same and wasn't until earlier this year that I really noticed the shave lasting longer and longer. I'd say it wasn't until comparing the shave side by side with my Ti Timeless .95 SB that really made me take notice of how long the shave was lasting.

I don't think that even if I had the aluminum version today that there would be much of a difference, if any difference at all from the 24 hrs I was at. I just felt that with an immediate difference in efficiency from the 1st shave with the stainless version, what was I to gain by keeping the aluminum version sitting on a shelf collecting dust and sold it as it wasn't of any use to me anymore. Any and all razors from my journey that I never received the quality of results as I do today were sold off immediately as I saw no reason at all to keep them. I'm just like that!!

Again, I can somewhat agree with you, but at the same time, not fully as it was several months before my technique really improved with the stainless version to get to where I'm at today and it is a difference that I can only describe as night and day...

I don't know, maybe I'm just talking in circles now and think maybe the thread could benefit more if this doesn't continue for now... I gave my observations to the OP and will leave it at that...

I think your post will be very helpful, thanks!

The geometry is identical.

The aluminum is one of my favorite shavers.

The stainless was very difficult for me to use. Too heavy. Felt like all blade. Couldn’t ride the safety bar or the cap.

It just depends what you like.

The head design of the Windsor has been changed. The head is a touch longer to cover the blade tabs. The cap extends over more of the blade reducing the blade exposure. This results in the blade being held in a more rigid fashion reducing blade flex. This leads to a smother shave. Hope this helps.

The head design of the Windsor has been changed. The head is a touch longer to cover the blade tabs. The cap extends over more of the blade reducing the blade exposure. This results in the blade being held in a more rigid fashion reducing blade flex. This leads to a smother shave. Hope this helps.
I think you have DE & SE mixed up here. This is about the SE1 A/C Windsor model that was just changed from the classic line. The only change that was made to the razor was the lather holes in the base plate versus the slots in the classic line... There are no blade tabs on the A/C type blades...

Classic line base plate
proxy.php

Windsor line base plate
upload_2019-5-27_9-15-7.jpeg

proxy.php

Rather than buying the stainless steel SE1 I acquired the Vector, which became available from a UK vendor. I think there is a perceptible difference in feel and handling characteristics between it and the SE1, if only because of the Vector's very narrow head. This took a bit of getting used to, but once I did I found it even more manoeuvrable and easy to use than the SE1. Paired with a Feather Pro Super blade, to give a bit of added blade feel, it gives a smooth, close and enjoyable shave.
I don't want to overplay the benefits of the very narrow head on the Vector, because the SE1 is by no means a lumbering beast, but there is a small gain there with the former. Whether the fact I don't have to use my free hand to move my nose slightly to one side or the other when using the Vector justifies its cost is a YMMV thing.

Top Bottom