What's new

Any good tobacco base creams

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Italian soft soaps (croaps) sometimes are referred to as creams by their manufacturers.

Vito's makes a Tabacco cream. I've never tried it though.

Croap means in between a cream and a soap—also referred to as a soft soap. It’s exactly what it sounds like—not as hard as a hard soap (such as a puck of Tabac), but not as soft as a cream (such as Proraso from a tube). Consistency wise, it’s probably closer to a cream.

Ok. I never realized how much is involved in wet shaving. I thought it was razor de or straight. Brush bowl soap and aftershave. Easy but no the rabbit hole doesnt have a bottom that I can see.

I'm realizing that. Especially with sharpening. I can put a razor sharp edge on my Japanese kitchen knives no prob. But straight razor sharpening and polishing is making my head spin. I will just keep paying to have them honed while I am learning this. I dont want to waste money buying **** that won't work.

Italian soft soaps (croaps) sometimes are referred to as creams by their manufacturers.

I tried a sample of Vitos Tabacco from Connaught Shaving and to me, it smelled almost identical to the Vitos Eucalyptus cream except it wasn't mentholated. I would not have guessed it was supposed to be a tobacco scent if I didn't know what it was called. It was a decent cream but I wouldn't really recommend it. YMMV.

vito's tobacco is great, albeit somewhat greener rather than smokey or pipe tobacco.
not sure if it's still available.

vitos truefitt hill kai art of shaving lavender may 23 2018.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Ok. I never realized how much is involved in wet shaving. I thought it was razor de or straight. Brush bowl soap and aftershave. Easy but no the rabbit hole doesnt have a bottom that I can see.

Your initial thoughts are correct, after all it's just shaving. Where it gets complicated is that everyone has differing preferences; soaps, creams, slickness, scents, razor type, brush type, alcohol based AS, balms, not to mention skin types, sensitivities, budgets, etc., etc. All of the posts offering help are great, from the posters perspective.

Asking for advice, while often helpful, can indeed lead one down a rabbit hole. In the end you can only experiment and find what works best for you, personally. Enjoy the journey. And remember, it's only shaving.

It's not really a tobacco scent, especially if you're looking for a deep, rich "Cavendish" kind of aroma that a lot of folks attribute to tobacco. To me, it almost seemed citrus-like and fresh. Good cream, though. I have two tubes' worth of experience with it.

I think your best bet would be to look at some of the smaller artisan soap offerings. But they might not have much in terms of actual creams.

Don

Top Bottom