What's new

Some additional provenance re the Busch Sohn razors

Some of you may have seen my recent photos of this twin set. The Walbusch and Bakelite Busch Sohns are classy and well-designed slant type razors. These Bakelite descendants or siblings of the unique adjustable slant are illustrated in the catalog noted in this posting.

Here's a nice sales brochure from that era -- sometime pre-WWII when this razor was available via postal mail and likely in a number of retail shops. No amazon.com. No Internet shopping. Real brick & mortar opportunities.

Pictures worth 1000s of words...
full

full

Could you create these with a 3D printer? Interesting to see the 3 dimensionality of the actual razors next to the catalog images.
full

full
full

full

I enjoy discovering the background and the additional provenance of these razors!

Gorgeous posters, razors and information as always, Jake! - Where on earth did you dig out that brochure, not to speak of the immaculate razors?!

Gorgeous posters, razors and information as always, Jake! - Where on earth did you dig out that brochure, not to speak of the immaculate razors?!
Like for many of us, eBay has been my friend. And I have had some helpful researchers -- finding me opportunities and items where I would have never looked. Thanks for your acknowledgements!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great razor information and History of a different era and the perfection they went to with the tooling of the day to make these razors out of Bakelite or plastics. Thanks for taking a moment and showing some great razors over the last two years I have been on B&B forum.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great stuff, Jake. They are made of pollopas, I think it's a little different than bakelite -- lower temperature urea resin vs phenolic(?) although both are thermoset plastics. Lots of household products made from it during the thirties. But I'm no chemist or plastic engineer.

Great early slants!

proxy.php

Great stuff, Jake. They are made of pollopas, I think it's a little different than bakelite -- lower temperature urea resin vs phenolic(?) although both are thermoset plastics. Lots of household products made from it during the thirties. But I'm no chemist or plastic engineer.

Great early slants!

proxy.php
Pollopas? Thanks @nemo! I had no idea that was a plastic-like product. Thanks for the education. Non-petroleum based plastic, but does it decompose? Is it compostable? Not that I'm about to compost these razors.

A small brochure -- I may have shared this previously -- to complement the other images I've shared re this Busch Sohn razor. Interesting to learn that it's NOT Bakelite -- but a different innovative material: pollopas. If anyone can translate this, I'd appreciate reading what you discover. I'll see if Google translate can interpret this version of German.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

This is actually a pretty smallihs insert, about 3" x 4". Probably something given away with the razor -- maybe also as an advertising brochure on the counter of the shop.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
So the first page reads:
Strangely enough...
There is no gentleman who complains about the burden of toothbrushing. On the contrary, you are looking forward to it, because it leaves a feeling of freshness. But shaving! Almost everyone feels it as a daily agony! And yet, like brushing teeth, it can be a pleasant body care that leaves only a feeling of freshness. But: you have to do it right!

Old Hippie

It's advertising. I'll get to the rest of it in the next day or so...

(Was working on it, missed one page and got all messed up.)

O.H.

It's advertising. I'll get to the rest of it in the next day or so...

(Was working on it, missed one page and got all messed up.)

O.H.
Thanks O.H. Very interesting copy. Maybe we can use it when we develop our next razor. Or just to wonder about the marketing geniuses who developed their copy in the dark ages of the twentieth century! Looking forward to reading more -- when you have time.

Old Hippie

Page Two:
The experienced barber does not buy inferior razors! He knows that the price advantage of "cheap" tools is usually only apparent. Often they become more expensive in use, apart from the fact that only a good razor for good shaving is good.

For the smart self-shaver, therefore, only a good and expedient apparatus comes into question. Of course, the razor blade must be good, because two who do a job together, must complement each other well.

The razor does not have the purpose to smooth the skin, it is already smooth. Only the whiskers must be cut off. The easier this is, the more pleasant it is. A straight cut scrapes and squeezes. For gentle shaving, therefore, only the slanting cut works well, because it cuts gently. In the Walter Busch Son razor, the blade is strongly held straight in the head. By this the razor achieves the gentle slanting cut by itself.

Old Hippie

Page Three:
To cut the whiskers off smoothly, it is enough for the razor blade to glide easily over the skin. Stronger pressure does not result in a smoother shave but irritates the skin. The Walter Busch Son razor is therefore light. Due to the correct weight distribution, it is well and safe in the hand. The material used is particularly pleasant for the skin, it never feels cold.
The Walter Busch Sohn razor transfers the benefits of the razor-blade to the machine. The innovative bending of the blade creates the pleasant, elastic cut. The cutting ability of the blade can not be impeded, for instance, by cut whiskers, soap scraps or such like because these accumulate in the large foam grooves, which are easy to clean.

Page Three:
To cut the whiskers off smoothly, it is enough for the razor blade to glide easily over the skin. Stronger pressure does not result in a smoother shave but irritates the skin. The Walter Busch Son razor is therefore light. Due to the correct weight distribution, it is well and safe in the hand. The material used is particularly pleasant for the skin, it never feels cold.
The Walter Busch Sohn razor transfers the benefits of the razor-blade to the machine. The innovative bending of the blade creates the pleasant, elastic cut. The cutting ability of the blade can not be impeded, for instance, by cut whiskers, soap scraps or such like because these accumulate in the large foam grooves, which are easy to clean.
Thanks for taking the time to do this translation O.H. Very impressive and very cool copy. Imagine if they were also making youtube videos!

Old Hippie

Page Four:

Some uncertainties in the language on this one. I've included words in [brackets] to indicate where I'm stepping away from a technically-correct translation to a more colloquial, possibly more understandable translation.

The Walter Busch Son razor is also suitable for the [untrained, beginning, novice] self-shaver. Toothless protective bars ensure absolute safety against injuries when the blade cutting edge is exposed. The double guidance of the device gives the blade the right position on its own accord. [I think they're referring to how the blade is held in the head.]
The Walter Busch Son razor shaves just as good and pleasant as the [straight razor] in the hand of a [trained] barber - only it's safer.
Only good [parts] are good for good shaving. Many believe the consumer is best served by the fact that they [can] always [find goods] cheaper. That is not even so difficult! It is [needful to make sure to have quality in] goods of steel, [as well as to have] careful processing and careful control. Of course, [otherwise] the good of the blade suffers.
Should not it be more appropriate to use good blades that are more comfortable in use, but not more expensive?

Old Hippie

Page Five:
Despite its low price, the "Real" Walter Busch Son blade is manufactured without considering the cost, as is correct for achieving the [highest] attainable good. Therefore, the "Real" is so pleasant and durable. Inaccurately or inadequately worked razor blades certainly lead to failures. To avoid disappointment, sophisticated self-shavers use the "Real" Walter Busch Son blade.
The Walter Busch Son razor must be properly screwed together.

Not correct!
Right!

Old Hippie

Page Six:

Some hints for self-shavers.

1. [Prepare] thoroughly, using warm water if possible.
2. After inserting the blade, screw the device together until you notice a noticeable resistance.
3. The blade cuts softer when you dip the clamped blade into warm water immediately before shaving.
4. When shaving, pull the skin a bit [tighter]. [The] shave [is] smoother and gentler.
5. Hold the razor so that the "nose of the upper part" ("guide on top of the cap" I assume) just touches the skin.
6. Shave in even strokes with very light pressure. In individual places, [such as] chin and upper lip, it is expedient to [hold the razor sideways and] shave from right to left, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom