What's new

The Little Convertable

Had to go to town, and when we pulled into a parking lot, we spied a place near the door, and beside a little convertible, that had the top down.

"I wonder if they locked the doors," I said.

My wife didn't think that was funny. "It's too cool to ride with the top down, anyway.

When we got out, I couldn't tell, at a glance if the doors were locked. But I could tell it had personal items and shopping bags full of goods in the seats and floorboard.

Did I mention the top was down?

My wife and I had some comments about that, and we went inside. When we came out, the driver of the little convertible was there. Based on the lack of drama, we assume everything was still in the car.

My wife and I exchanged a glance and laughed when the driver drove away. I suppose that she was blond didn't mean anything.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I've owned a lot of convertibles over the years , two things I learned
1. Never leave anything in the car only the trunk
2. l never lock it , they will slice the top to get in
don't ask me how I know

My dad left the top of his Jeep off for several winters. He looked like a bloated tick in Birkenstocks when it was below zero Fahrenheit. Giant down coat giant wool gloves and socks and the Birkenstocks. But he was happy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don’t lock my car. And I think we take honesty for granted these days. I think MOST people are honest and won’t bother an unlocked car. When I park I walk to the store. Past hundreds of cars. And I don’t think twice if they are unlocked, or if their convertible tops are down. Pretty sure 99% of people think the same. And if that 1% of people really want to rob you, a lock car is not going to stop them.

My dad never locked his car and I asked him one day why not. He simply said “I don’t have anything in there worth stealing. And if someone wants it I’d rather not have a broken window to replace”. Makes total sense to me. I keep basically loose change in the car. I’d rather not replace a window over loose change.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can understand what you mean about broken windows. They are a pain to replace. Here in Australia some states have laws about locking your car. If they find it unlocked they can fine you for it. It is not just a small fine either, it is well over $100.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We have a convertible. Obviously we try not to leave anything of value in plain sight if the top is down. But when locked, it will alarm if someone sticks their hand into the interior.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'm more worried about them stealing my wife's little convertible than the stuff in it. It's a 1SB with less than 4K miles.
IMG_0805.JPG

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don’t lock my car. And I think we take honesty for granted these days. I think MOST people are honest and won’t bother an unlocked car. When I park I walk to the store. Past hundreds of cars. And I don’t think twice if they are unlocked, or if their convertible tops are down. Pretty sure 99% of people think the same. And if that 1% of people really want to rob you, a lock car is not going to stop them.

My dad never locked his car and I asked him one day why not. He simply said “I don’t have anything in there worth stealing. And if someone wants it I’d rather not have a broken window to replace”. Makes total sense to me. I keep basically loose change in the car. I’d rather not replace a window over loose change.
That’s the way I think about it. Replacing windows is expensive.

Around here, drunk college kids will try to sleep in it. Of course, they will get sick at some point.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lock it. Twice we've had "youths" stealing stuff; MO: they just try door handles and move on.

Remember the footlocker scene in "Full Metal Jacket": Gunny wasn't wrong.

AA

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
Car Break-Ins Hit Record High of Nearly 30,000 in San Francisco for 2018 and they arrest just 1.7 percent

I've owned a lot of convertibles over the years , two things I learned
1. Never leave anything in the car only the trunk
2. l never lock it , they will slice the top to get in
don't ask me how I know

Quoted for truth. I never left anything of value in my MG, and most of the time if weather permitted the top and windows were left down. Convertible tops for MGs were around $400 back in my heyday for the material, and the labor to put one on doesn't even bear thinking about; I've done it before, which is why it doesn't bear thinking about. I can only imagine what a replacement top for a newer car would cost nowadays. If they're going to break in, I'd much rather them open a door or break a window, not cut the top.

Top Bottom