What's new

Soaps That Punch Above Their Weight

Because I have a scientific/engineering background, I love experimenting. I have shaved with everything from shampoo and conditioner, canned gels and foams, bar soaps, creams, croaps, traditional hard pucks and artisan soaps. I evaluate new products every month.

Whether lower priced alternatives are a good value depends on your needs and preferences. I look for a soap that is easy to load, easy to lather (even in hard water), has excellent primary and residual slickness, has excellent cushion/protection, and has excellent post-shave moisturizing and conditioning without requiring another aftershave product. The only products that have excelled at all of those criteria have been artisan soaps, although some others have excelled at many of the criteria, but not all. For example, Mitchell's Wool Fat has wonderful slickness, cushion and post-shave feel, but many folks find it difficult to lather, including me. If it lather's in your water, it is a great soap, but it is not inexpensive.

The best non-artisan product in my den is Cremo shave cream. It is my go-to product for travel. It is inexpensive, yet is easy to load and lather (its a soft cream), it has excellent slickness, decent cushion and very good post shave feel. I consider it to be a product that hits beyond its weight class, but it is still a lightweight compared to most of the artisan soaps in my den. Thus, I only use it for travel.

I shaved with zote laundry soap. Worked really well. :lol:

Stirling, for sure.

The other one that surprised me is RazoRock's "What the Puck?" soaps. These are hard, triple-milled non-tallow soaps. Not my usual cup of tea. But these soaps are really nice; you just have to load a bit longer to get the appropriate amount of soap into your brush (compared with soft tallow artisan soaps that many people are used to). At one point they were selling these things at ridiculously low prices; I can't remember for sure but I think it was three pucks for $8.99? And because they are triple milled, they will last a very long time.

I just checked the site. They are $5.99 each or all three for $11.99. Still a ridiculous bargain. The scents are orange, lime, and barbershop. Very straightforward scents, so if you are into complex, cologne-type scents these soaps won't float your boat.

Stirling, for sure.

The other one that surprised me is RazoRock's "What the Puck?" soaps. These are hard, triple-milled non-tallow soaps. Not my usual cup of tea. But these soaps are really nice; you just have to load a bit longer to get the appropriate amount of soap into your brush (compared with soft tallow artisan soaps that many people are used to). At one point they were selling these things at ridiculously low prices; I can't remember for sure but I think it was three pucks for $8.99? And because they are triple milled, they will last a very long time.

Yep. The wtp lime is one of my favorite hard soaps. I was putting a divot in the middle until my acquisition disorder relapse. There was a holiday sale a while back where individual pucks were like $2.88.

Here are the choices so far. I didn't include Razor Rock because there are so many choices. I will soon. People spoke highly of the red choices. The blue ones were my choices based on the description.

In my opinion, getting a KG of Cella is a right of passage. I can always use it to caulk windows or something.

I forgot Williams and Cremo. I have a duplicate. I'll fix that later.

@Pepin, would this be considered a group buy for the Sabbatical? (Just kidding.)

1 Arko Shaving Soap Stick, White, Pack of 2, 75g each $5.49
2 Best Shaving Soap - Made with Glycerin, Shea, Mango & Cocoa Butters - Moisturizes & Soothes Face - Help Prevent Razor Burn - Light Floral Scented Shave Soap / 3.5 oz. Men's Skincare by Van Der Hagen $4.99
3 CELLA Shaving cream Soap - XL GIANT Size - One Kilo Box 1000GR - almond shave creme - Fills cella container 12 times !! $31.99
4 Col. Conk Bay Rum Shaving Soap 3.75 Ounce Large $9.99
5 Gentleman Jon Sandalwood Shave Soap; Glycerine 2.25oz $7.99
6 HASLINGER Aloe Vera Shaving Soap, 1 Pound $11,99
7 Henry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap with Shea Butter & Coconut Oil. Long Lasting 3.8 oz Puck Refill. Mens Shave Soap. All Natural. Rich Lather, Smooth Comfortable Shave. For Ladies and Gentlemen. $12.97
8 La Toja Shaving Stick $5.60
9 Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Refill Soap $15.94
10 Palmolive for Men classic shave stick $3.19
11 Palmolive for Men Classic Shave Stick :-: 2 Pack Value $9.25
12 Proraso Shaving Soap in a Bowl, Refreshing and Toning, 5.2 oz $10.00
13 Tabac Original Shaving Soap $8.89
14 Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap Stick, Sandalwood $17.50
15 Théophile Berthon Hard Shaving Soap with White Clay & Shea Butter, Made in France, 3.52 Ounces $12.90

TOTAL $156.69

Last edited:
I think I'll start working on the list tomorrow. I already have #1 and #2. I may order #3 and #4 tomorrow. My plan is to rotate the four soaps a week at a time. I'll buy another one when one of the soaps is gone.

Williams Mug Shaving Soap, 3 Count $6.82
2 Cremo Lathering Shave Cream, Specially Formulated for Use With a Brush for a Luxurious Shave, 4.5 Ounces (Watch out for monthly subscription) $7.99
3 CELLA Shaving cream Soap - XL GIANT Size - One Kilo Box 1000GR - almond shave creme - Fills cella container 12 times !! $31.99
4 Best Shaving Soap - Made with Glycerin, Shea, Mango & Cocoa Butters - Moisturizes & Soothes Face - Help Prevent Razor Burn - Light Floral Scented Shave Soap / 3.5 oz. Men's Skincare by Van Der Hagen $4.99
5 Col. Conk Bay Rum Shaving Soap 3.75 Ounce Large $9.99
6 Gentleman Jon Sandalwood Shave Soap; Glycerine 2.25oz $7.99
7 HASLINGER Aloe Vera Shaving Soap, 1 Pound $11.99
8 Henry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap with Shea Butter & Coconut Oil. Long Lasting 3.8 oz Puck Refill. Mens Shave Soap. All Natural. Rich Lather, Smooth Comfortable Shave. For Ladies and Gentlemen. $12.97
9 La Toja Shaving Stick $5.60
10 Mitchell's Wool Fat Shave Refill Soap $15.94
11 Palmolive for Men Classic Shave Stick :-: 2 Pack Value $9.25
12 Proraso Shaving Soap in a Bowl, Refreshing and Toning, 5.2 oz $10.00
13 Tabac Original Shaving Soap $8.89
14 Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap Stick, Sandalwood $17.50
15 Théophile Berthon Hard Shaving Soap with White Clay & Shea Butter, Made in France, 3.52 Ounces $12.90
16 Arko Shaving Soap Stick, White, Pack of 2, 75g each $5.49

Nobody is an experienced shaver if they haven't used Barbasol. For traveling, it beats packing a wet brush. Gillette Foamy is another option.

I would rather pack a brush and soap that use either of those. They have not served me well in the past and I would see no need to go back to them even for convenience.

Stirling, for sure.

I picked up these when there were $8.99 for all three. Talk about punching above their weight!!! I have soaps I paid more for, but these are definitely in my rotation. They lather well and are slick.

Value is measured by how much the soap gets used, if you dont like a soap for whatever reason it is not a good vaule.

Here are a few that perform much better than other soaps that cost a lot more:

Shannon's Soaps
Ballenclaugh
Viking
Southern Witchcrafts
Perfectly Natural
Smitten Soapery
Turtleship Grooming
Stirling
Victory Shaving

I'm going to list 10 USD or under. These are the only ones I've tried. However, Stirling Soap beats all the ones I'm listing, but not the price;

1. Williams
  2. Colonel Conk
  3. Proraso Red/Green
  4. Arko Stick/ Puck
  5. Derby Stick/ Puck

Last edited:
Great contributions! Thanks for your replies... I’m wondering why no one has mentioned Razorock P.160. I’ve read stories about it’s history and tweaking over the years to evolve into one of the finest soaps. And @ 5oz for $5.99? Why no mention?

FF13E5DC-1394-4344-A1D8-ADDD8F729898.jpeg

Last edited:
Murphy and McNeil can't be beat right now for the quality, quantity (5.5oz tub), and value ($17). Its a top tier artisan soap that can give all the big names a run for their money.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great contributions! Thanks for your replies... I’m wondering why no one has mentioned Razorock P.160. I’ve read stories about it’s history and tweaking over the years to evolve into one of the finest soaps. And @ 5oz for $5.99? Why no mention?

View attachment 951650
Great question. It is a steal. Awesome deal. I have the older vegetarian version, and it shaves/smells like real p160,IMO. I’m sure the new tallow version is spot on.

Top Bottom