What's new

Soaps That Punch Above Their Weight

or price! Start a list of bargain soaps that perform better than others that demand a premium price. I’d contribute but this is all new to me! Looking to the brethren for some direction for future purchases! Thanks!

Arko, undoubtedly. Price vs performance, and longevity.
Palmolive stick.
Also, using a synthetic brush will make your soaps last longer than boar or badger brushes.

or price! Start a list of bargain soaps that perform better than others that demand a premium price. I’d contribute but this is all new to me! Looking to the brethren for some direction for future purchases! Thanks!

I made this list of soaps I'm going to start buying after the Sabbatical is over. I've only tried the Williams and Cremo. They are both excellent. I plan to 3017 each soap before buying the next one on the list.

1. Williams (3 pucks - 50 gr. apiece)
2. Cella
3. Arko shaving stick (2 pack -75 gr. apiece)
4. Tabac Original refill (4.4 oz.)
5. Proraso Green (5.2 oz.)
6. Proraso Red (5.2 oz.)
7. Theophile Berthon Hard Shaving soap (3.52 oz.)
8. Cremo Lathering Shave Cream (Notes of Bourbon, Vetiver & Oak) (4.5 oz.)
9. Cremo Lathering Shave Cream - Sandlewood (4.5 Oz.)
10. TOBS shaving soap stick-Sandlewood (2.5 fl. oz.)

I'm going to put forward a contrary view here - get better soaps whatever they cost. One really good soap like SV, Pre de Provence, Grooming Dept., Eufros will give you more pleasure than five cheap ones. I couldn't wait to get rid of the "beginners" soaps I blindly purchased - Tabac, Cella, Proraso, Arko... Totally false economy. I just don't see it. These are mass-market scents while the best artisans have subtle scents and often use real essential oils rather than synthetics.

Depending on how much you're looking for scent vs performance, Arko would be right near the top if you're just looking for the performance (I don't mind the scent at all, but you wouldn't buy it for the scent by any stretch).
If you can get a good deal on Proraso products, they won't let you down.
I'll also put Tabac forth, because while not "cheap", you won't find much that will perform better than it, and it's definitely affordable, much more so than other "elite" soaps. What I'd recommend is price comparison shopping for Tabac and then pulling the trigger when you find a good deal for it, don't just buy it right off the bat. Arko will tide you over until you find a good deal for it. :p

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Good thread!

Stirling's excellent for the price point.

A $1 Williams puck will last longer than you want it to ...

AA

Nobody is an experienced shaver if they haven't used Barbasol. For traveling, it beats packing a wet brush. Gillette Foamy is another option.

Because I have a scientific/engineering background, I love experimenting. I have shaved with everything from shampoo and conditioner, canned gels and foams, bar soaps, creams, croaps, traditional hard pucks and artisan soaps. I evaluate new products every month.

Whether lower priced alternatives are a good value depends on your needs and preferences. I look for a soap that is easy to load, easy to lather (even in hard water), has excellent primary and residual slickness, has excellent cushion/protection, and has excellent post-shave moisturizing and conditioning without requiring another aftershave product. The only products that have excelled at all of those criteria have been artisan soaps, although some others have excelled at many of the criteria, but not all. For example, Mitchell's Wool Fat has wonderful slickness, cushion and post-shave feel, but many folks find it difficult to lather, including me. If it lather's in your water, it is a great soap, but it is not inexpensive.

The best non-artisan product in my den is Cremo shave cream. It is my go-to product for travel. It is inexpensive, yet is easy to load and lather (its a soft cream), it has excellent slickness, decent cushion and very good post shave feel. I consider it to be a product that hits beyond its weight class, but it is still a lightweight compared to most of the artisan soaps in my den. Thus, I only use it for travel.

RazoRock puts out some good soaps anywhere from 2.99 to 9.99. Several are tallow. They don't use the latest and greatest bases that are so popular now;
(they also cost 20.00+) but they perform pretty good. XXX, Mudder Focker,and several others are fine soaps that will give you a fine shave with money left over.

Hi,

A few of my picks for this list would be,
Haslinger, Tobac, RazoRock croaps, Arko, and Conk Naturals.

I have used a fair number of "high end" soaps and artisanals and have enjoyed them a lot. But I find myself heading back to the old standbys simply to stop chasing the latest and greatest. When I get my small pile of excess soap herd thinned, I hope to pick just two from that list to just use and enjoy.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My repeat purchase list, currently consists of just Palmolive sticks and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Scents don't deliver much of a benefit for me, and can be invasive and detracting from the shave. Performance during and after matter more to me, and both these soaps deliver.

I get 200(ish) shaves from a £0.50 Palmolive stick, and 500(ish) shaves from a £7.00 cake of Mitchells.

Top Bottom