What's new

Zamak Smack Down

I just smacked the short side of my Muhle razor head on the side of my sink, while I was shaking it for a dry. It sounded like a good thud to me. Is it only a matter of time? Would rot occur without visible signs on the chrome plating?

I knew something like this was going to happen sooner or later. I was really hoping just later. MUCH LATER!

A good drop can sometimes snap the head from the handle but I think this is more common on the EJ razors.

The Zamak usually rots and breaks down only when it comes in contact with water. If the finish is in good shape then you shouldn't have any rotting going on inside. The smallest imperfection even the size of a pin hole in the finish will let in water and start the process of rotting from the inside out. The Muhle razors cost a bit more and seem to have a little nicer finish to start with so the Zamak issues are much less common with this brand.

If it didn't snap the head off of the razor and you have no visable signs of damage to the finish you likely did no long term damage to the razor by banging it on the sink.

I prefer stainless myself but the R41's are such good shavers that many are very loyal.
Since many Muhle heads are available for purchase separately for somewhere in the $25 range so a lot of guys will put aside a R41 head (or two) as a backup because they are such excellent shavers.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are OK. Rot also happens when the plating flakes off and water gets in that way.

I would go ahead and get a vintage Gillette for the day when the Muhle does crash. The Gillette is nickel over brass and will last forever.

There are really only two kinds of Zamak razors - those that have rot and those who will get it.

If and when the head fails, buy another. My EJ89 head is about 3.5 years old now. When it goes, I'll buy another just because I like how it shaves.

A good drop can sometimes snap the head from the handle but I think this is more common on the EJ razors.

The Zamak usually rots and breaks down only when it comes in contact with water. If the finish is in good shape then you shouldn't have any rotting going on inside. The smallest imperfection even the size of a pin hole in the finish will let in water and start the process of rotting from the inside out. The Muhle razors cost a bit more and seem to have a little nicer finish to start with so the Zamak issues are much less common with this brand.

If it didn't snap the head off of the razor and you have no visable signs of damage to the finish you likely did no long term damage to the razor by banging it on the sink.

I prefer stainless myself but the R41's are such good shavers that many are very loyal.
Since many Muhle heads are available for purchase separately for somewhere in the $25 range so a lot of guys will put aside a R41 head (or two) as a backup because they are such excellent shavers.

I have an extra R41 head, along with a Grande handle/head and a R102 handle/head. It took a bit of time to get good and efficient with the Muhle "open comb" heads, but they are great teachers and keep you focused.

Sounds like you are OK. Rot also happens when the plating flakes off and water gets in that way.

I would go ahead and get a vintage Gillette for the day when the Muhle does crash. The Gillette is nickel over brass and will last forever.

There are really only two kinds of Zamak razors - those that have rot and those who will get it.

I would not go the vintage route, but I already have a ATT razor fund started. I hate to think like this, but given the multiple, excellent threads on ZAMAK I have read here on B&B, a SS razor seems to be the absolute best way to go if one truly loves the "classic wet-shaving" art.

Never hurts to have a spare! Or two... Or three...

Yep, I have 1 spare. I guess it's a philosophical long-term spending decision on the ZAMAK/SS issue.

B&B is one hell of a source for information on wet shaving.

It sounded like a good thud to me. Is it only a matter of time? Would rot occur without visible signs on the chrome plating?
Unlikely for rot given what you've stated but we can't guarantee anything one way or another. You could have also weakened part the Zamak that could lead to trouble down the road but, again, no telling for certain.

I hate to think like this, but given the multiple, excellent threads on ZAMAK I have read here on B&B, a SS razor seems to be the absolute best way to go if one truly loves the "classic wet-shaving" art.
Best is always highly subjective and there plenty of people that truly love wetshaving with a Zamak DE. If you want stainless then get stainless but don't assume that there's only one way to wetshave with a DE. If I didn't have my AS-D2 I'd still be using my DE89.

Last edited:
Muhle razors are really tough. I've dropped mine from maybe 1.5m on the floor, of course floor was wooden and luckily razor was with plastic cap on the head, but nothing happened. People always talking how fragile zamak razors are, but i couldn't say that about my R89. It had some accidents even before that, still healthy and happy.

Keep using it and inspecting it after you shave for signs of pitting.

Chrome plating is pretty tough stuff so you should not have issues from a single thump.

As long as the plating is intact you'll be fine. I dropped an EJ DE89 I had once and dented the side of the head. It was perfectly fine otherwise. No plating loss and no other ill effects.

Zamack has been used to make safety razors for nearly 80 years. There are lots of vintage Merkurs still in service. I have a Tech with a zamack top cap that is over 60 years old that is just fine.

Keep using your R89 with confidence. If anything ever does happen to it, you can replace it without breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Takeshi - "Best is always highly subjective and there plenty of people that truly love wetshaving with a Zamak DE. If you want stainless then get stainless but don't assume that there's only one way to wetshave with a DE. If I didn't have my AS-D2 I'd still be using my DE89."

I also love shaving with my zamak DE's which I stated above. Best is highly subjective unless you are talking about the quality of material used in making a product, which I pretty much alluded to in the course of this conversation. Thus, my use of the word "best" was directly related to construction quality and possible greater longevity. I bet your Feather AS-D2 has a nice, solid build. Do you worry about the possibility of rot if you ding it? Do you stock up on extra heads just in case?

Keysersoze, turtle and Foyle - Thanks for the votes of zamak confidence. Time will tell, it always does. I will keep a sharp eye on the razor head in question.

Peace!

Just keep it dry after you use it and it'll fine. You could completely remove the chrome plating off a zamak razor and if you used then dried it off it would still last, its just the laying there in the water and soap scum after using it day after day that starts to wear of these razors. I prefer to use a clean razor everyday so the extra 2 minutes it takes to do a quick toothbrush cleaning and a paper towel dry off is well worth the added benefit of not having to worry about my razors.

Just keep it dry after you use it and it'll fine. You could completely remove the chrome plating off a zamak razor and if you used then dried it off it would still last, its just the laying there in the water and soap scum after using it day after day that starts to wear of these razors. I prefer to use a clean razor everyday so the extra 2 minutes it takes to do a quick toothbrush cleaning and a paper towel dry off is well worth the added benefit of not having to worry about my razors.

I also quickly dry mine after each use, but only thoroughly clean them with a toothbrush and dish washing liquid about every 2 weeks. I agree, keeping them dry and fairly clean sounds like a good idea. It certainly can't hurt!

Peace!

Top Bottom