What's new

Your SWMBO and your shaving.

All this made me wonder. What are you guys faced with at home regarding your SWMBO and shaving? Indifference? Quiet acceptance? Support? Or anger at how much money we all spend and how much bathroom we hog? :tongue:

I'm curious. An interested SWMBO is all new to me.

i'd say my wife shows both indifference and quiet acceptance. she knows I enjoy it and always comments on how smooth and nice smelling my face is after a shave, but when I talk about it she tends to ignore me. I bought her a blue lady gillette last 2 summers ago and she doesn't use it. I even put a fresh blade in it for her months back but it's been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. she did buy me some new shaving cream for me to try out so I have to give her points for trying.

Quiet support with a touch of indifference. Definitely not supportive in my efforts to expand my den and uncannily seems to know when new goods arrive. I think she misses the simple days when I shaved quickly in the shower with a cartridge and had just one cream and one aftershave to worry about.

I thought I may have won her over when I acquired a like new Lady Gillette TTO, which she used frequently until making a wonderful gash on the back of her calf one morning. She still has not forgiven me for using the styptic on that one. :001_rolle The Lady Gillette was quickly sold.

But all in all I happen to be one lucky guy and could not think of a better person to shave...er...share my life with.

My SWMBO of 33 years has seen so much nutty stuff from me over the years that she just shrugs and tolerates. She does like my smoother face, but overall I would have to say benign indifference. I have tried not to take up much counter space and have put most of the paraphernalia in the cupboard, so she does really see all that much more stuff around. That has probably helped.

She never bothers me about money, so long as there is more coming in than going out she is content. Mostly, when a new package arrives she just says things like, " what did you get today", coupled with things like "you have more than enough shaving cream to last longer than your life expectancy.:001_rolle"

Of course, she likes this much better than my guns, banished to the safe in the garage and not allowed in the house, bird hunting outings and some of the other things I do.

My wife is in the "quiet acceptance" stage. She occasionally wavers to the "vocal objection" stage if I spend too much on the Bay.

She complained for a time about how much time I spent on B&B, however I was vindicated last night when I took her with me to Dollar General and spent less on two generic aftershaves than we were looking at spending on one bottle of "real" Old Spice. :thumbup:

Trying to put together a PIF package for her Stepfather's birthday. It's not until June, so I've got time yet. My mother in law is looking at it this way: He occasionally treats himself to a barbershop hot lather shave for $35 a pop. Giving him the ability to do the same for himself every single day will probably be worth the effort.

DH has put up with my acquisition of Lush products, so I am more than happy to support his shaving. He's an engineer, so I'm used to his love affair with well-made tools. (I approve, actually- my Dad's a welder, so I was raised with an appreciation of tools.) I love the close shaves he gets now- no more feeling like I'm cuddling a hedgehog when he skips a day- and, when he's willing to share his "me time, " it's nice to spend time with him while he's shaving. It's a lot of fun to watch, and making lather is pretty fun, too :)

My wife thinks this is all rather silly, I'm guessing, but since I haven't spent that much on it (yet - I'm just starting out) she hasn't done more than roll her eyes.

My wife is a little suspicious, because of the inital cost...8 razors, 4 soaps 7 brushes, 5 mugs...But I told her that the AD will fade slowly and it will save us money in the long run....and its still cheaper than my other ADs...Guns and Watches....:thumbup:

That's a keeper!

Mine tolerates it as long as it doesn't overtake her shelves or shared space and any money spent on it is mine (we have a joint account too). She thinks it's obsessive, but having dealt with several other obsessions int he past, she just figured "here we go again...". She's pleased with the results though.

I decided to do something radical. I asked my wife. :lol:

Her response, in bullet form

• You smell nice
  • You have too much stuff
  • It's no weirder than any other weird thing you've done
  • I think the meditative aspect of shaving is good for you
  • You are less prickly
  • You ask me strange questions, sometimes

I decided to do something radical. I asked my wife. :lol:

Her response, in bullet form

• You smell nice
  • You have too much stuff
  • It's no weirder than any other weird thing you've done
  • I think the meditative aspect of shaving is good for you
  • You are less prickly
  • You ask me strange questions, sometimes

Is my wife pulling double duty here? Those bullet points were eeirly similar to what she said (heh heh..."what she said..."), except I'm afraid some day her comments will be accompanied by ACTUAL bullets...

My own SWMBO (gf) has mixed opinions. When I first got into it with the purchase of a simple setup consisting of a Merkur HD, a cheap boar brush, and a puck of bay rum soap she initially thought it was neat because it reminded her of her dad's old wetshaving routine. Then the AD's hit and she wondered why I have so many different creams and rolled her eyes. Then the GTown scuttle came and she thought it was a pretty "bowl" and went into hiding about further shaving comments.

Then the straight razor bug caught hold and at first she was like :eek:and told me not to hit the jugular in my neck and asked why I went to straights when I had my other razor (the DE). I told her I like the shave I get from the straight and I like the period of meditation I go into as I use it and she said "nah, I think you just want to look like a badass with that thing in your hand". Haha.:thumbup1:

Hi

My ex gf who broke up with me cos she moved abroad. She asked me to teach her how to use the DEs. This in it was a bit tough as girls shave their legs as well as their under arms unlike us guys who just shave our faces. It was simple enough how to shave the legs as theres not really much to do about it. the blades didnt require to be in certain angles as its just shaving along the surface. Whereas the underarms were a bit tough. Girls have to almost swivel their heads to see thier under arms and then therefore be able to shave that area, with the DE it was tough trying to work different angels to get the closest shave.

So my question to you all are that did anyone of you have to teach your partner how to use DEs? What methods did u use?

Quiet acceptance is a good term for my wife's current view. In comparison to my other obsession, which is ducking hunting, it is way, Way, WAAYY, cheaper.

My biggest supporters are my grandchildren who are fascinated watching Grampa shave They range in age from one (1) to eight (8). The 8 year old grandson like's bay rum AF and the 2 year old granddaughter likes Tabac cologne. The 5 year old granddaughter can make lather with the best of them and I'm not sure what the one year old grandson likes the best yet, he's still in the lets throw lather around the bathroom with the brush stage.

I'm not sure what the one year old grandson likes the best yet, he's still in the lets throw lather around the bathroom with the brush stage.

Sounds like me trying to get a decent lather still. :blink: I'm getting better though, seems like I was going too dry. (Tallow soaps FTW!)

Legion

Staff member
Hi

My ex gf who broke up with me cos she moved abroad. She asked me to teach her how to use the DEs. This in it was a bit tough as girls shave their legs as well as their under arms unlike us guys who just shave our faces. It was simple enough how to shave the legs as theres not really much to do about it. the blades didnt require to be in certain angles as its just shaving along the surface. Whereas the underarms were a bit tough. Girls have to almost swivel their heads to see thier under arms and then therefore be able to shave that area, with the DE it was tough trying to work different angels to get the closest shave.

So my question to you all are that did anyone of you have to teach your partner how to use DEs? What methods did u use?

I recently gave her her first DE leg shave. I was not game to attempt any other part of the body as I was a bit scared of accidents. I just made the lather, prepared her skin, did a couple of passes. All the time explaining what I was doing and why. She prefers waxing for any other parts of her body and can take care of that herself :blush:

Oh, and if you really want to get them enthused, let them pick from the wide variety of products you have collected. This makes it more fun and "girlie" for them. It'll be like opening up a whole new world of cosmetics that they never knew existed.

My girlfriend walked into the bathroom today, and with a big smile, said: This opens many possibilities for gifts!:thumbup:

She never knew what to get me, that is until now.

My girlfriend walked into the bathroom today, and with a big smile, said: This opens many possibilities for gifts!:thumbup:

She never knew what to get me, that is until now.

Just wait..she'll eventually become so annoyed with your incessant faceturbation and discussions on the merits of tallow vs. glycerine, your encroachment of product overflow into all the free bathroom surfaces, and your habitual sneaking of Aqua Velva into the shopping cart that you MAY just come home one day to find it all in the trash...

My wife doesn't understand it but as long as I'm happy with it then she'll support it. As we use seperate bathrooms I can take up and much room and make my bathroom as blokey as I like. She knows I've spent a fair bit on money on it in the last few weeks (she pays the credit card bills) but we're at the stage in life where we can afford it so she doesn't mind.

My wife thinks "it's cool". She even asked me to get her a razor after seeing results on my face. I got her a lady gillette and she totally understands my draw. Although she does not have any desire for all the stuff she tells me she understands and gives me the thumbs up. She is in! :thumbup:

Have any of you guys had to teach your gf/wife/artner how to shave using the DE? If so would you be able to tell me how you went about it please

cheers

Top Bottom