What's new

Your SWMBO and your shaving.

Legion

Staff member
OK. I have found myself in a pleasant, but interesting, situation.

I have started dating a new girl about a month ago. She lives in another state but we have both been traveling a fair bit and have been able to spend a nice amount of time together. She is a wonderful girl, for many reasons, but one that might be of interest to you guys is that she is absolutely FASCINATED with my whole shaving routine.

This is quite a revelation to me as my ex merely shook her head, grumbled about how much space my stuff took up in the bathroom and once bought me an electric shaver to "speed me up in the morning".

My new SWMBO comes running when she sees me getting ready to shave. She insists on watching the whole process, asks about which razor I am going to choose today and why, asks if she can choose my soap or cream for that day and has pestered me to let her take photos of what she called "an art".:confused::biggrin:

She has also bought me some nice shaving related gifts. Yes, I know, she is too good to be true. While I am sure there is a certain amount of "new relationship, trying to please" going on here, it is certainly nice to have a partner supportive of my interests.

All this made me wonder. What are you guys faced with at home regarding your SWMBO and shaving? Indifference? Quiet acceptance? Support? Or anger at how much money we all spend and how much bathroom we hog? :tongue:

I'm curious. An interested SWMBO is all new to me.

sounds great, mate - hang on to her!

My gf is all for it, she likes watching me shave and picking out what im going to use. Shes bought some some great kit, too.

My lady doesn't pick my products and generally rolls her eyes when I am doing the actual shaving. She does, however like to appraise and approve my handiwork for the night when I emerge from the den. I think it would be easier meeting someone when you ALREADY do this odd thing we do, than being in a relationship and developing the ADs. Makes it more of an interesting quirk than an odd development.

Sounds like you've got a mrs that appreciates the art of shaving. Good work!

My SWMBO has also taken a fascination in my newly found Passion for DE wet shaving. The fact that she loves collecting antiques is an even bigger plus!

I have even got her asking me to buy her a de razor so she can try it on her legs

My wife likes it. We don't have to spend money on fusion blades anymore and I can shave more often. I don't look like a "mountain man" as much anymore in her words.

My SWMBO is in love with wet shaving. I need to get her, her own set up. She keeps trying to steal my red tip, lol. Now I just need to get her to support my habits..... financially :biggrin:

SWMBO likes it. She finds it interesting, but doesn't really blow hot or cold. The way she put it was, "I (she) get something out of this hobby." What she appreciates is the end result. Although, now that I think about it, I have found her watching me a couple times...

I started wetshaving after we met. At first, she was curious what attracted me to wetshaving, but that was about it. She never had an, "I can't understand it" moment. Of course, shaving for me was a problem in the past (sensitive skin, heavy beard), so maybe that factors in. I don't know.

Overall, I'd say she's been pretty good about it. But then again, she's pretty spectacular overall.

My wife is sort of on the fence. She accepts that the routine makes me happy, and definitely has an opinion about scents and creams (e.g., that Trumpers' violet smells like "old lady" :lol: :crying:).

I don't think she'll be buying me any display cases anytime soon, but after 16 years together, I don't think this new hobby/obsession is going to jeopardize the relationship. :cool:

Wifey finds my 'new hobby' (as she calls it) amusing. She never bothers watching cos I always insist that the bathroom door be kept shut so that the heat does not escape! She loves the results of the shave tho :001_tt2:

i started using a DE while with the gf, at first she didn't get it, 'why would you use something from 1968?? you're meant get NEW technology!!'

after that she was pretty good about, sometimes a bit jealous at how much care/excited i get about it all :p but then she wanted to watch and learn what it was all about!

interesting how it comes full circle.

the more i think about it...the more strange it is that some girls don't get it! although i my ADs aren't really that bad...just the one razor, one brush, one cream and two soaps...

that'll change soon enough, we'll see what happens then!

"Don't kiss me, go kiss that screen or that weird looking brush."

That is what she just said to me. The other day she said you spend so much time shaving to look good (I shave three times a week! :confused:). I cuddled up to her and explained that the way I shave has nothing to do with wanting to look good, even though it does make me look good because I am not putting chemicals but rather natural ingredients on my skin. I explained that it is really relaxing, a chance to do something for myself and very pleasant. I told her that the smell of the creams and the feel of badger or boar hair was amazing and that this is a luxurious thing. I wanted to get her to smell the creams and soap but she told me not to worry about it. I don't think she gets it yet!

You are kinda lucky your girl is into your wetshaving.

Aaron

OK. I have found myself in a pleasant, but interesting, situation.

I have started dating a new girl about a month ago. She lives in another state but we have both been traveling a fair bit and have been able to spend a nice amount of time together. She is a wonderful girl, for many reasons, but one that might be of interest to you guys is that she is absolutely FASCINATED with my whole shaving routine.

This is quite a revelation to me as my ex merely shook her head, grumbled about how much space my stuff took up in the bathroom and once bought me an electric shaver to "speed me up in the morning".

My new SWMBO comes running when she sees me getting ready to shave. She insists on watching the whole process, asks about which razor I am going to choose today and why, asks if she can choose my soap or cream for that day and has pestered me to let her take photos of what she called "an art".:confused::biggrin:

She has also bought me some nice shaving related gifts. Yes, I know, she is too good to be true. While I am sure there is a certain amount of "new relationship, trying to please" going on here, it is certainly nice to have a partner supportive of my interests.

All this made me wonder. What are you guys faced with at home regarding your SWMBO and shaving? Indifference? Quiet acceptance? Support? Or anger at how much money we all spend and how much bathroom we hog? :tongue:

I'm curious. An interested SWMBO is all new to me.

Two questions. When are you getting engaged and does she have a sister?

She sounds like she is worth her weight in gold. Congratulations!! :thumbup:

Mines a dud by the way, her "what are you doing in there" me "shaving" her "STILL, HURRY UP!" me "want to watch me shave" her "um no why, im going to go watch TV"
Quotes are taken from my real life :thumbdown

My wife sort of thinks it's cute and pretty much politely ignores the whole deal. Though she did recently buy me some Acqua di Parma so she might be sort of coming 'round...

My girlfriend will like it when she gets back in town, I think. She used to complain about my scratchy stubble before I started wet shaving. I didn't shave every day when I used the canned goo and M3.

My wife supports it and often picks out scents of ASB and shaving soaps for me. She loves Tabac the best! As long as I keep the costs down she's very happy. She also likes me clean shaven, so shaving everyday is a win for everyone.

My sig.other is perplexed by the obsession and time it takes, annoyed by the proliferation of gear—she'll periodically gather together everything she thinks she/me/we don't need and throw it all out—and enjoys the results.

My wife was all for it...

... until she found out how expensive some of the products can be.

She goes from "oh, great! You'll save more money buying blades than cartridges" from, "are you kidding me? $100 for a brush and another $75 for products?!?" :rolleyes:

The first time I tried the DE, she hands me an old towel and says, "use this since you're probably gonna bleed". Nice girl, she is.

Top Bottom