What's new

Your Single Most Important DE Shaving Tool?

My vote is for the razor but all components are necessary for a decent shave. I can use most blades, most soaps are capable of providing a lubricating layer and I can used canned product (like Barbasol) or brushless cream to mitigate the need for a brush.

Without a good lather, any razor blade will do your face in. That renders the razor itself a variable. Not all creams/soaps lather equally, some being better than others. Some brushes make better lather than others.

So... I think each of these variables are essential tools that together have the ability to give an exceptionally wonderful shave. Can not go without any.

So which do you think would give a better shave:

1. Top quality soap and brush and a cartridge razor?

2. DE razor and canned shaving foam?
I sort of hate to admit it but I get fantastic shaves from my Merkur 15C and canned Proraso foam. It's a lazy choice, but an effective one.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Each of those items plays a vital role in the traditional wet shave.
Take any one away and it is not a traditional wet shave. In fact, take one of two of those away and it isn't even a shave.

It's like my old instructor days when we used to discuss whether people should be graded on a percentile or a straight "pas or fail";

You are tasked with making a pot of coffee.
If there are 10 steps to making a pot of coffee, one of which is putting grounds in the basket, and you forget that step -
Should you get a 90 percent or a fail?

I think this comes down to the definition of "important".

Some here are taking it as "most required" and clearly, no shave can occur without a blade.

Some are taking it as 'given you do have all of these, which one most impacts your shave by using one you rank better/best'. I think, most generally, this would be the soap or cream.

For me, it's the thing that takes the shave from a functional activity to something I really enjoy and look forward to. For me, this is the brush. I love a big, soft, luxurious brush. The feel of it on my face. Obviously made even more enjoyable when used with a really great soap, but I'll stick with "the brush"!

Ken

Say what you want the most important tool, is the Tool holding the tool :lol: with out you or me there would be no Wet Shaving!

Not the first to mention this but it is my right hand.

After that the blade; with a cheap drugstore brush & soap and a half-decent razor I can still get it right but when the blade sucks, the shave does as well.

Top Bottom