What's new

Traveling to Ireland / Shaving Internationally

Good afternoon all,

I am traveling to Ireland in 2 weeks and was planning on bringing my shaving gear, minus blades with me. I am only taking a carry on, so a checked bag is not an option. Many have warned me that I can't even take my DE disassembled without risk of TSA taking it.

So my question is what is my best option? Ideally I'd use a DE of some sort, but I don't want to buy one in Ireland, only to have it confiscated. Some have suggested buying a single edge disposable when I get in Ireland. I figured the B and B community would know best!

I just use my old Trac II. Not as good, but close. Then, of course, the brush, soap/cream, A/S is fine as long as the cream and A/s is within the rules.

I just use my old Trac II. Not as good, but close. Then, of course, the brush, soap/cream, A/S is fine as long as the cream and A/s is within the rules.
So you can bring a disposable razor in a carry on? I might shop for a nice single blade if that's the case.

So you can bring a disposable razor in a carry on? I might shop for a nice single blade if that's the case.

I'm not sure. I would imagine if it's a cart form factor as my Trac II is. You can travel with other carts too including the current ones with a zillion blades :out:.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I know lots of people take along a BIC metal. We don't travel light, unfortunately, so we always have checked bags. We haven't lost any luggage for years... In fact, when I used to travel for business quite a bit, the airlines only lost one bag. When I was filing the claim, the guy at the desk, when he saw the folding suit carrying bag was deep red, told me.... I doubt you'll ever see this bag. Most of those folding suit carriers are black or navy blue... This one would stand out. It's likely drugs were smuggled in your bag as it would be easy to identify... And he was right... it never did show up.

I have heard, but don't quote me on this.... if you take a three piece razor... dis-assemble it and scatter the pieces among your stuff, it will usually get past TSA, but there are no guarantees, of course. DE or SE razor blades will get confiscated unless someone is lax about their job.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I cannot comment on either your departure or arrival airport security. I will be flying domestically within Canada this summer and the rules that I found on the Canadian website forbid a safety razor blade on the plane (among other things, of course). They allow cart razors as long as you can take the cart out. So, something like a Gillette Fusion, Gillette Excel, Mach3, Atra, trac II, etc.

I'm guessing that a disposable razor (like a BIC as an example) is forbidden since you cannot take the blade out (and it's not a cart).

I will be flying with a carry-on only and won't be able to send blades by mail. I got a Trac II handle and tried it, it's all right but I might skip a day or two while over there.

I'm not thrilled about it but I understand.

Bic Metal or your favorite cart / disposable.
Else, if you insist on using a DE, perhaps you take on a Feather Popular and a tuck of blades from Shaving.ie and have it delivered to your hotel.

I have traveled all over the world with a tech in my carry-on.

You should no problems, as long as you don't have the blades on you. Do you have a source for blades when you arrive? Otherwise, no use taking the razor.

I have traveled all over the world with a tech in my carry-on.

You should no problems, as long as you don't have the blades on you. Do you have a source for blades when you arrive? Otherwise, no use taking the razor.
Yes I can get blades easily, there is a shaving store in Dublin with many blade options.

When traveling with the razor, do you separate each part / do you scatter the parts throughout your bag?

I cannot comment on either your departure or arrival airport security. I will be flying domestically within Canada this summer and the rules that I found on the Canadian website forbid a safety razor blade on the plane (among other things, of course). They allow cart razors as long as you can take the cart out. So, something like a Gillette Fusion, Gillette Excel, Mach3, Atra, trac II, etc.

I'm guessing that a disposable razor (like a BIC as an example) is forbidden since you cannot take the blade out (and it's not a cart).

I will be flying with a carry-on only and won't be able to send blades by mail. I got a Trac II handle and tried it, it's all right but I might skip a day or two while over there.

I'm not thrilled about it but I understand.
A disposable is ok in a carry-on

@Jake Morris, I know leaving Dublin a DE razor without blades can be taken. Done it a few times myself. I think your issue will be leaving the US (as you mentioned TSA). They seem to be inconsistent at best based on a few threads on B&B. I can't comment first hand on Shannon if that's where you're leaving Ireland from.

There are a few places in Dublin to get DE blades If you choose to bring a DE. If you're stuck, PM me and I can give you enough blades for your stay.

If you want any info on Dublin, let me know.

61mN+oiZAWL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

images (1).jpeg

A lot of people like these for traveling with their carry-on....

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Just don't take one and treat yourself to a nice barbershop hot towel shave (or two) while your there ;)

This is what I prefer on my European travels 😆

Yes I can get blades easily, there is a shaving store in Dublin with many blade options.

When traveling with the razor, do you separate each part / do you scatter the parts throughout your bag?
I keep the top and the baseplate together, but wrapped in a tissue to protect each piece. Then the handle is right there with it.

Mind you, this is a ten dollar tech. I consider that disposable if need be, and worthy of any security gamble.

Just don't take one and treat yourself to a nice barbershop hot towel shave (or two) while your there ;)

This is what I prefer on my European travels 😆

My favorite place in Dublin is The Waldorf Barbershop on Westmoreland Street! I'd recommend anyone visiting Dublin to go for a cut or a hot towel shave.

It's a wonderful little spot.. the original shop opened in 1929 and it still has most of the original furniture and equipment etc.. old vintage barber chairs, period correct decor, jazz and ragtime playing in the background.. its a basement shop, through a door and down a flight of stairs and when you arrive at the bottom it's almost like stepping back in time to the 1930s.

Many famous people have been to the Waldorf. As far as I'm aware, Frank Sinatra even had his hair cut there when in Ireland. However, the prices aren't as extortionate as one might expect.. maybe a bit higher than average but you know, the whole experience is worth it though. Especially if you're just there for a one off while in Dublin. They seem to be running 50% discount for new customers, wash and cut 20 euro, hot towel shave 20 euro.

Plus the shop is not just all appearances.. when I went there they were fantastic barbers and I'd imagine they still are, they have a reputation. I used to go there for my 50s rockabilly pompadour.. that was a few years ago when I still had hair. 😆 I would highly recommend booking.. as if you simply walk in off the street you could be waiting half a day.. especially if you wish to wait for a specific barber.

I'll attach a link to the site, specifically an interview with the master barber, Liam, who has since passed away. Linda, Liam's daughter continues the tradition today. She was really passionate about it, she would be researching and reading old barbering books from a hundred years ago.

I think folks on here may find it interesting read: The Godfather of Barbering | Waldorf Barbers - https://www.waldorfbarbers.shop/2

Picture:

proxy.php

Top Bottom