What's new

Your favorite finisher?

I prefer to hone on Jnats usually but I don't have a favorite 'finisher'. I have a hard time calling a Jnat a finisher because of it's latitude vs other stones I've had that were dedicated finishers.

At the moment, I have two 12k synths, both are proven capable 'finishers' - Nani SS 12k & Shapton Pro 12 (15k for the US edition). The Nani squeaks past the Shapton but they both can finish an edge. Both improve 8k edges well enough to notice in use and see on a scope.
Those 12k finishes are theoretical though, I don't actually use a 12k to finish, it's the first step in the 'finishing sequence' for me, if I am going that route. I can put the Shapton 10k GS in that slot too, even though it's just a hair behind the other two. I might consider it to be a better 'jump stone' sometimes though. I might prefer shaving on the 10k edge sometimes too. But Just because I 'can' finish on a stone, that doesn't mean I am going to finish on it, and then they are 'pre-finishers'.

When I consider an Escher, I like them well enough but I won't use it to finish all the time, it might precede an Ark. I might finish with it, but after a Coti usually. Or maybe one of those Scotch hones.
Or something like 2k or 4k synth, TOS, 8/10 or 12k synth or Coti, Escher.

So for me, it's more complicated than 'best finisher' - more like favored finishing sequences or progressions.
Even with Jnats, there are choices of similar complexity to roll with.

What kind of les lat is it? Where was it sourced?

It came from Esty.

6980E955-046F-4385-A480-E11A7A9CDB9E.jpeg

It came from Esty.

Yeah, I've seen a few that looked like this. have not used/tested/tried one though. Haven't had a LL Hybrid in a while. But I have owned many LL hybrids over the years. All of the "older' examples were killer finishers. Have had a few newer ones that were, seemingly, not so killer - but they looked a good bit different than yours.

Reactions: Wid
My favorite currently are these two jnats, really easy to use and feel great. My all time favorite finisher would be Arkansas however. And my 10k naniwa Kagayaki rarely fails to provide a great shave.

20221015_105951.jpg

This is such a perplexing question to answer because every shaving edge is a composite of all the fingerprints that preceded it…

I tried the Les Lat on my edc. The yellow side is scary fast. I suppose I’ll keep it around just for knives.
The hybrid side can benefit from a little surface prep. I have used mine with knifes just to realign the edge when I don't want to do a full sharpening. I use an Atoma 1200 to rough up the surface. Then I use it with just water.
I have not experimented with other types of surface prep yet.
This hybrid side can also be used with other types of nagura to speed up the stone. Doing so doesn't seem to do much good for the edge, but I feel there is something to explore there.
A little surface prep and some slurry speeds up the stone considerably. It leaves a scary sharp edge on kitchen knifes.

I tried the Les Lat on my edc. The yellow side is scary fast. I suppose I’ll keep it around just for knives.

This is why I think I'd like them, the LL slurry stone I have gives me the impression that it'd just be smoking fast as a whetting stone.

Last edited:
The title of this thread is fun I think, because ‘favourite’ isn’t necessarily synonymous with ‘best’. For example I find Thuris hard to love because they're uninteresting to look at. Favourites tend to have something else as well as being good, stuff like these...

A Charnley for a pittance at a small market in Tavistock on a fun day out with my sister:

145808-0F70CC7C-0D27-40CC-91B1-E885740DAEE8.jpeg

The Fiddich River, Moughton, and Nantlle Valley stones are rare and utterly beautiful:

177102-IMG-9240 (1).jpg

145781-IMG-3682.jpg

The Tavy stone I gave to @Legion was exceptional and the result of a huge amount of research and effort:

IMG_7483 (1).jpg

And this Salmen Silkstone which belonged to my grandfather:

155242-3B769A28-84BE-4922-A1AF-F3EE05EBFB74.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
The title of this thread is fun I think, because ‘favourite’ isn’t necessarily synonymous with ‘best’. For example I find Thuris hard to love because they're uninteresting to look at. Favourites tend to have something else as well as being good, stuff like these...

A Charnley for a pittance at a small market in Tavistock on a fun day out with my sister:

View attachment 1570621

The Fiddich River, Moughton, and Nantlle Valley stones are rare and utterly beautiful:

View attachment 1570624

View attachment 1570623

The Tavy stone I gave to @Legion was exceptional and the result of a huge amount of research and effort:

View attachment 1570620

And this Salmen Silkstone which belonged to my grandfather:

View attachment 1570622
That Tavi (as well as being a lovely gift) is a great finisher. That is a favorite for sure. And my silkstone, although it doesn’t have the province of @cotedupy s, is also really good.

How could you choose a favorite? They all have their charms.

If you want, you could send it to me and I'll play around with the hybrid side to see what kind of edges I get from it and if they can match the edges off my LL hybrid? Just cover postage.

Top Bottom