What's new

Your favorite finisher?

For me, It's a toss-up between three Coticules and two vintage green Thuringians. I find the Thuringians to be really great to use for touch ups and to maintain edges. A typical progression for me of late is bevel setting on a Chosera 1K, Coticule, and then on to the Thuringian for a heavenly edge!

I've used:
Coticules (La Veinette, Deep Rock, Stamped Droescher Choice, Dressante, Grise)
Labeled Eschers (yellow green, dark Blue)
Various unknown purple, black, green slates
JNAT
Charnley
Zulu Grey
Unknown Yellow Hard as hell stone
Brown "special stone" escher
BBW

My go to is probably the "Unknown hard as hell yellow stone". Gamma sold me a great JNAT and Nagura set, but I haven't had the time to experiment with it since having a kid. I'm assuming I'll eventually get some killer edges off it. But to be honest right now I love the edge with my Lakeside Barber hone, which if you want to count barber hones as finishers is the best edge I can get out of all of those.

trans arki & c12k.

In addition to my Zulu & coticules which I've been using as of late (also have a c12k and Welsh slates which I don't use as much), I also have a small Surgical Black Ark.....it's about the size of a barber's hone but I've never used it to finish. I think I will give it a try but I don't know the best way to go about using it. Do I just do a bunch of laps on plain water? (I know it's a slow stone), or do I use oil?

OMG..... You guys certainly have a lot of stuff. I plan on buying a new straight, strop and at least a finishing stone come aroung June. What would be a good option that will not kill the bank?

OMG..... You guys certainly have a lot of stuff. I plan on buying a new straight, strop and at least a finishing stone come aroung June. What would be a good option that will not kill the bank?

Lots of people swear by their Chinese 12k's & I really like the edge that mine gives....They can be had for short $$ in many cases...($25-35)...That's just one of many choices, though...I'm sure others will chime in :)

Thanks again for the advice you seem to give me. lol! There are a lot of things out there. I guess I should just make a seperate post when the time comes for adivce on what to get.

Thanks again for the advice you seem to give me. lol! There are a lot of things out there. I guess I should just make a seperate post when the time comes for adivce on what to get.

Hey no prob! :)

Yeah, there are a lot of choices. The thing is, different finishers give different types of edges, so it's all about personal preference (YMMV). I have bought & sold a lot of different finishers before I found what I liked. For a while it was synthetics (Norton 8k, Naniwa 12k), but I got rid of those once I discovered the wonderful world of coticules. I held onto my c12k as it's easy to use, and I LOVE my Zulu because I've found it can enhance a coti edge without sacrificing that trademark coticule feel...

Hey no prob! :)

Yeah, there are a lot of choices. The thing is, different finishers give different types of edges, so it's all about personal preference (YMMV). I have bought & sold a lot of different finishers before I found what I liked. For a while it was synthetics (Norton 8k, Naniwa 12k), but I got rid of those once I discovered the wonderful world of coticules. I held onto my c12k as it's easy to use, and I LOVE my Zulu because I've found it can enhance a coti edge without sacrificing that trademark coticule feel...
So far have one finisher coming my way - Zulu Grey based upon what I have seen recently.
Thinking about working back from there and the coticules appear the way I am going to go.
What do you use or what would you recommend to just maintain your edge as opposed to setting the bevel?
Only asking as I noticed you moved some stones after you picked up the Coti.

Myron

What is a Zulu?

PM sent... :)

So far have one finisher coming my way - Zulu Grey based upon what I have seen recently.
Thinking about working back from there and the coticules appear the way I am going to go.
What do you use or what would you recommend to just maintain your edge as opposed to setting the bevel?
Only asking as I noticed you moved some stones after you picked up the Coti.

Myron

I just use a coticule for touch-ups...they really are the best all-around stones there are IMHO...

I've used numerous barber's hones, Norton 8k, C12K, Tam O' Shanter, Water of Ayr, Llyn Idwal, Charnley Forest, y/g Escher, Dark Blue Thuringian, 7 different coticules, a J-Nat, CrOx and diamond spray.
I usually finish on a coticule. Occasionally I use the dark blue thuringer after the coticule as it seems to improve a few blades and I'm experimenting with a Shuobudani Asagi.

And for touch ups? Slurry too?

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I've found that finishing on a "misty" (read: Thin) slurry can impart a nice smooth edge. What I've been doing lately to finish is similar to "undilucot", where I will raise a misty slurry & do 30 x strokes, then refresh the slurry & finish with 30 more x-strokes. At first I wasn't getting good edges, but I found it was because my slurry was too thick...

Hi

i have think aboud, what is my best / favorite finisher, and i can not pick only one, it depens on my feeling on that day and on the steel. Here are some of my favorite ones:

Escher Yellow green, gives a verry nice smoth edge on each steel
Wakasa Suita, this sone is amazing its verry fast and ultra fine i love it mostly on hard steel
Coticule, i have an huge vintage one, its ultra hard and makes a verry mirrow finish on the edge, the shaves are amazing.
after all, i love my Naniwa 12000 This sone is easy to use workes on every steel but it gaves the edge not the special touch the naturals are given the blade.

For me i prevere natrual finishers and stones, becouse the different feeling and the hard way to get them in nice quality

injoy honing

Have used the following stones/stuff to finish with/on:

Norton 8k
Naniwa Junpaku 8k
Naniwa SS 10k
Naniwa SS 12k
Chosera 10k
Black Surgical Arkansas
Translucent Arkansas
Hard Arkansas
Hindostan
Some kind of Candy Jasper
Coticules: La Grise, La Petite Blanche 1x, La Dressante 4x, La Grosse Juane 1x, La Verte 2x, Vintage La Rosa Brand 1x, vintage Pike Brand 1x, Les Latneuses Hybrid 3x.
BBW, recently mined and vintage, several of each.
Chugs - 4x - none were 12k
SRD Labeled Thuringian
Unlabeled Alleged Thuringians - several
Eschers - green, light-green, yellow green, greyish, blue, blue green, orange
Purple Welsh Slate
Black/Green Welsh Slate
Dragon's Tongue Welsh Slate
Charnley Forest
Unknown Slates from Europe - several
Diamond Spray - .25 um & .1 um with various substrates
Several Barber's Hones
Crox - .5 um, various substrates
Jnats: Nakayama Kita & Asagi Awasedo, including 4 branded Marukas, Okudo Asagi, Okudo Asagi with Namazu, Takashima Karasu, Ozukus of various flavors, Okudo Suita, various unknown unstamped stones, Wakasa Asagi, Ozuku/Shiroto Kita and Asagi, and possibly some others that I can't remember.

There may be a stone or two that I'm forgetting, but that's most of them.

At this point in time, I prefer to hone on Jnats. My favorite one? Too hard to say. I have several & I like them all.
I know the SB Ark well - it's a brilliant finisher but I haven't used it much recently. It's probably my favorite stone overall because I've had it forever. The edge off of it is to die for.
I love using Cotis and Thuringians. Those edges are very special. I have two of each right now.
There are/were no orange Eschers. I was just foolin around.
You are the right person to ask an opinion
What is a real difference between translucent ark and Ozuku
Which stone performs better in you personal opinion ?

Top Bottom