What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

My review from yesterdays shave ......

Well I'm sure we've all read/watched the reviews and notes that people have written and presented on Yaqi's solid brass CNCd Final Cut Razor. There was a fairly unanimous opinion that it was terrific, brilliant, awesome and many other superlatives used in describing how well it was made and how terrific the shave was !

Well this beauty will blow all that came before right out of the water!

Yes, it's CNCd, yes, it's fully stainless steel, and yes its highly polished, but when you bring all those factors together it brings the Yaqi Ultima adjustable to a totally different, much higher plane!

Trying to describe how smooth the operation is and how comfortable the shave was is almost beyond words. Maybe someone more eloquent could manage it after they've experienced it as I have.

The first thing I noticed was the fit and finish,…… Is stainless steel more accurate to machine than brass because it harder? I don't know but the tolerances certainly seem even tighter. Threads are butter smooth as isthe adjustment. The blade mounted perfectly with no "wiggle" room whatsoever, perfect alignment!

The geometry is the same but seems even better and the shaving angle is more than intuitive, it's just there! The high polish helps the razor to just glide effortlessly (much the same as the Yaqi Sentinel for those that have used it). This is undoubtedly the best of all of Yaqi's adjustables, little wonder they call it the Ultima.

it's certainly the ultimate Yaqi razor I have tried and as you know I've tried many different Yaqi products!

I can't say much more about this razor as it has left me speechless and in awe of how far Yaqi have come in their professional progression.

Thank you again Grace and Yaqi for allowing me to be one of the first to experience this razor. To me it's at the pinnacle of how far they've come over the last few years. Please keep it up, and for those who understand Chinese, 加油!!!
Where can you buy the Ultima?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tuesday, May 30th 2023

Razor : Yaqi TFC adjustable, 2 pc - Mfg 2021>, well thought out adjustable and it has a similar design as the 1930's French Gibbs adjustable but the Yaqi TFC takes regular Gillette blades where the Gibbs took proprietary blades. This little razor works very well and I received a excellent stellar shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Personna red(2) sharp and smooth with great longevity. Top tier blade.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum with sage and cedarwood, nice scent of Bayrum with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Bali" 24mm 3band silvertip badger, heavenly pillow like soft tips, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG (3) + ATG(3) + pickups (4 setting)= excellence.
Post shave : Witch hazel beard wash + Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood:001_wub: + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2) 1 10.545.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent stellar shave with my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Personna red blade.
SOTD May 30 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

One thing about Yaqi is that their products are worth the money. Are they the best? No, but the price is inexpensive and they are better than a lot that cost more.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Ultima just arrived. As I gifted my Yaqi pin stand to a friend, something I regret now, I had to steal the Rex Envoy pin stand. It's overly large and not really fitting.

But well, let's focus on the razor: alignment checks out, the mechanism works. The razor can be dialed up to 6.9, "7" being the minimum "1" position. I hope you can follow.

Unfortunately I will need at least 1 more day of growth, I scraped away some stubble already, but a proper first shave has to wait a bit longer, sorry.

It got delivered packaged in transparent foil, paper wrapped around, all that in a for this tiny razor mich oversized fancy box that must have been made for a mich larger razor or brush.

This said, it's a very fine razor, just take a look! 😀✌️
YaqiUltima.jpg

@Shaun asleep wake up, it's 1. D-Day 2. the Yaqi has landed, too.

My friend, I checked for your report at 8 am and found no shave report.
Then my head's morning mist cleared and I figured out that yesterday's tomorrow is actually today - so I decided to give you some extra time.
Needless to say I am dissapointed at the lack of a full shave report. :p

It does look nice but I'm not too sure about the handle, I like something grippier - criss-crosspaterned.

I know you hated the Ambassador, glad you're giving another adjustable a try.

P.S. I actually forgot about D-DAY. Shameful, I know. And I pride myself in being an absolute WW2 nutter.
Please feel free to punish me by defurring me with your Ultima.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
P.S. I actually forgot about D-DAY. Shameful, I know. And I pride myself in being an absolute WW2 nutter.
Please feel free to punish me by defurring me with your Ultima.
No worries, I am looking forward to the shave as well.

Very off-topic, but I beg forgiveness from the mods :ouch1:, this is a channel that is not covering the shaving habits of soldiers during the first 24 hours of the invasion: https://youtube.com/@D-Day24Hours-sm5pe
But highly recommended nevertheless, it's a special issue of the World War 2 in real time channel.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The Ultima just arrived. As I gifted my Yaqi pin stand to a friend, something I regret now, I had to steal the Rex Envoy pin stand. It's overly large and not really fitting.

But well, let's focus on the razor: alignment checks out, the mechanism works. The razor can be dialed up to 6.9, "7" being the minimum "1" position. I hope you can follow.

Unfortunately I will need at least 1 more day of growth, I scraped away some stubble already, but a proper first shave has to wait a bit longer, sorry.

It got delivered packaged in transparent foil, paper wrapped around, all that in a for this tiny razor mich oversized fancy box that must have been made for a mich larger razor or brush.

This said, it's a very fine razor, just take a look! 😀✌️
View attachment 1666509
Very nice looking razor, enjoy!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I already shaved a bit dry, I just could not resist... yeah, that works. But now I am forced to clean that up tonight, cannot show up tomorrow like this. A proper shave will happen tonight, just a few hours, stay tuned.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Yaqi Ultima / BIC Platinum

This razor is the stainless steel version of the Yaqi Final Cut, a razor that copies the design of the Gibbs/Rex Ambassador razor lineage.

It is not fully polished, inside the head some machining circles are visible, but the exterior and quite some more parts got fully polished. The razor can be dialed up from "1" to "6" and above, with "6.9" being close to the "1" the dial begins with.

It has, true to the design, quite some exposure, so it is also capable of cleaning under the nose of a low "1" setting. This made me realize starting at "4" and dialing up to max soon after was rather unnecessary in my case and rather caused some after shave burn later.

The handle has a spiral pattern, while it is not slippery, it is a far cry from the pattern on the Rex Envoy/Ambassador handles. It is also rather short, true to the heritage, but Rex offers longer handles by now, too.

I wasn't convinced by my Rex Envoy at all, the part I loved most about it were the handle and the massive razor stand, but it is supposedly a mere ~3 setting on the Ambassador, I found it quite harsh. Yeah, I dunno. I still can't quite understand the praise for the Envoy or Ambassador. Though I also heard the Envoy and the Ambassador are more different than one would assume.

This razor was also quite aggressive when dialed up to max, but bearable and it worked better for me. Rex owners may now throw stones at me.

The Ultima seems sold out already, but the brass version and the chrome version are still available and allow a cheaper trial run if someone is on the fence. The Ultima redeemed the Gibbs design for me, I was seriously doubting it was ever that good.

I must admit I also bought it because I was on a nostalgia trip on that day when I saw old SSI RPGs like Pool of Radiance and Eye of the Beholder, Fantasy and Pacific General on sale on Steam. Guess what, I also liked the Ultima RPGs by Richard Garriott a lot. The Yaqi Ultima brought me closer to finding the Codex of Ultimate Shaving Technique. :letterk1:

Excellent, a shave report at breakfast!

I dont think I have heard you say good things about adjustable razors before, so it must be good. 🤪

the brass version and the chrome version are still available and allow a cheaper trial run if someone is on the fence.
I have been thinking about the chrome version, because the knurling's more attractive. But I already have the Heritage collection shaving Gibbs replica which, according to Gus is very similar. (or more alike than different, if I recall his exact words correctly).

Too bad you never tried the Ambassador. I will keep telling you it's a fine shaving machine. Though I am still not sure if you'd dig the suction feel it seems to exhibit, perhaps the Envoy has this as well? Anyhow I'm sure this polished gem has none of that and sails smoothly across the face?

P.s. Your SOTD picture seems to have dissapeared. 😛

P. P.S. Get off that RPG Mill and start playing CS:GO to prepare for CS 2 launch this summer break!!

Top Bottom