What's new

Yaqi adjustable razor

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I’ll be picking up the Yaqi Ultima if and when it’s available again.
Now that will be an interesting comparison of two Gibbs-based razors. The thing I like the most amor my Envoy is the pattern on the handle and the stand, but if it is an Ambassador on 3-3.5, hmm, not really a favorite. But then, some also said the Envoy might look like a fixed Ambassador and arguably has the same geometry, but would still feel differently. I doubt we can find one person with all 3 razors, but you would have at least Ambassador and Ultima to compare.

P.S. I damn like the Yaqi Harlequin even more than the Ultima, I think you would likely find it too aggressive though.

After reading all the positive reviews about the Yaqi Final Cut, I purchased a chrome/gunmetal model from the Yaqi store this mid June and put it to task at the end of June when I received it. The plating is very good. It looks well made but has a “Weishi-like” feel to it when you pick it up and turn the knob to lock down the cap.

Shave 1: Gillette Silver Blue (on its second and potentially sharpest use)
Overall this Yaqi was completely dissimilar in face feel to the Rex Ambassador or Pearl Flexi. It was harsh with an aggressive feel. It felt like the whiskers were resisting the blade. The balance point is right on the adjuster and not behind it. I shave at 2/1/3 on the Rex Ambassador and 3/2/4 on the Flexi for a consistent BBS and the Yaqi was down at 1.5/1/2 and not comfortable. Yes, it did produce a BBS but it didn’t cut smoothly, had resistance and lacked the “safe” feeling I get with the Ambassador and Flexi. The shave resulted in alum bar feedback, some visible irritation and one cut just at the rhinal columella of my nose at setting 1. I used the lowest setting on the Yaqi for the atg under the nose and 2 for the other xtg and atg passes.

Shave 2: Dorco Prime (on first use)
As the GSB didn’t pair well with the Yaqi, I used a new Dorco Prime blade as it performs great in my other razors. I had to stop before the wtg first pass was finished at the 1.5 setting because of the harsh feeling and blade/whisker resistance. Yup, I got a tiny nick on the wtg pass. I finished the shave with the Flexi. Wow, I think I now really know what smoothness means and the Yaqi just doesn’t have it for me.

Shave 3: Ok, this time I used a new PermaSharp at the lowest setting of 1. What a terrible shave. I felt for the proper cutting angle (new shaver) and only let the shaver lightly touch my face as I do with my other razors. The results were harsh with lots of resistance. I only did a partial wtg pass and received two cuts right off the bat. I finished the rest of the shave with a Wunderbar.

Overall: The Final Cut I have is an extremely harsh shaver. There is no shaving “Zen” with its use. To my eyes, the gap is quite large at setting 1 and is very similar in size to the blade gap of a Rex Ambassador at 5. The shaver appears assembled correctly, no bent parts, the adjusting plate is flush to the bottom and the blade gap is even on both sides (after some minor fiddling).

I have only seen a couple of reviews about how aggressive the Yaqi was for them but discounted those reviews due to the overwhelming positive reception for The Final Cut. Something must be wrong with this last release of the razor. Perhaps the lower sale price on the Aliexpress Yaqi store was due to a less than properly manufactured product.

To me, this Yaqi is truly an unpleasant face nicker and destined to live out its remaining life in the dark corner of a drawer next to the Futur clone (which is better than this Yaqi). Maybe I got a dud or the newest run isn’t up to spec but I’m glad I didn’t opt for the brass or wait for the stainless steel version.

So…just a horrible shaver or did I get a dud?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, July 6th 2022

Razor : Yaqi TFC adjustable- Mfg 2021>, nice all range razor, this razor is based off the legendary Gibbs 1930's adjustable razor variants, Yaqi TFC takes standard Gillette blades where the Gibbs took their proprietary blades and is a joy to use. Excellent close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette Astra SP (3) sharp and smooth with great longevity.
Soap : TOBS Sandalwood, very nice herbal sandal wood scent 5-6/10 strength with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Lucky dice" 26mm fan brown whiskers synthetic knot, excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Won this on there live sale many months ago and it is rare to see Yaqi fan knots so it must of been a test specimen and it is wonderful with the big handle, glad I lucked out winning it.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(3) + ATG(3) + pickups(4 setting).
Post shave : witch hazel beard cleanse of residual soap + Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood+ a dollop of Geo F Trumper sandal wood skin food.
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi TFC adjustable with a Astra SP blade.
SOTD July 6 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I put in a Feather in the Yaqi and shaved at a steep angle and the results were better. Pulling was reduced with the Feather. I did get a BBS but getting there was not as pleasant as with a Flexi.

I am wondering if the gaping on this Yaqi Final Cut is the same as on others. This is a picture at setting #1. Is it consistent with others? Looking at Ron R's picture, his 3.5 looks like less of a gap than my 1 but that could be the angle the picture was taken.

1688755116700.png

Hmmmm. I measured the gap on mine and it is also about 1mm. I tried a steeper angle today and received transitory and liquid redness. So, this Yaqi and I currently aren't the best of friends. As always, YMMV.

I think I figured out my quality of shave problem. The plate the blade rests on has been cast unevenly one one side and results in a gap between the blade and cap. On the other side of the razor the cap touches both sides of the bottom plate. The blade may not be fully clamped at times and that may be causing some of the poor cutting results I have been experiencing. If I rotate the cap the fit looks better.

1688863851927.png

Glad you found there really is an issue. Base plate could be bent or the threaded tube isn't pressed in straight. Pull it apart and make sure there's no gap, if there is you might be able to press it tight. Or it could be the cap post is bent. Hopefully you get Yaqi to replace if it's not an easy fix.
Image of the pressed tube with no gap.

20230708_234743.jpg

The tube on mine is pressed in and has no gap. The base plate bends slightly downward as shown in my picture. It is not straight across / flat. Thanks for your counsel and picture Pineapple. I will be contacting Yaqi to see about what can be done to remedy the issue / "feature". I also notice a clicking sometimes when I pick up the razor and this might be related to the problem. I went back to the Flexi today and smooth sailing with no redness.

On very close examination there is a chromed over dimple on both ends of the blade plate. Perhaps the tool that picked up or held the plate during manufacturing had a point sticking out on both sides. Strange that the tiny dimple is in about the same position on both ends of the razor. Ah well.

1688910452951.png

I think I figured out my quality of shave problem. The plate the blade rests on has been cast unevenly one one side and results in a gap between the blade and cap. On the other side of the razor the cap touches both sides of the bottom plate. The blade may not be fully clamped at times and that may be causing some of the poor cutting results I have been experiencing. If I rotate the cap the fit looks better.

View attachment 1683320
On very close examination there is a chromed over dimple on both ends of the blade plate. Perhaps the tool that picked up or held the plate during manufacturing had a point sticking out on both sides. Strange that the tiny dimple is in about the same position on both ends of the razor. Ah well.

View attachment 1683568

That's no bueno. :eek2:

Perhaps an email to customer service over at Yaqi with the pics you've shown here can convince them to send you a replacement? You have nothing to lose if Yaqi offers you the opportunity for an exchange/replacement. Perhaps just the cost of postage for returning the defective razor on your end. Just a suggestion unless you've already tried that route and it was unsuccessful.

Best of luck.....:thumbup1:

I bought through Ali and will be communicating respectfully through that conduit this evening (it will be Monday morning there). The pictures should tell the story if there is a way to post them on Ali or use email as you have suggested. Thanks for the information GlazedBoker.

I preferred to spend a few weeks evaluating so as not to have any opinion of excitement for the recent purchase.
Finally, it came true, the version of "The Final Cut" in its possible best form, stainless steel 316L.
I already have the brass version and it was precisely because of its quality that it was a decisive factor in wanting this SS 316L version as well.
As expected, great build quality. Ok, it is possible to witness some circular marks of the CNC process, but in the end we have the precision of adjustment and perfect alignments where it needs to be. And that's the essential in an adjustable razor!
The polished finish delivers a superior glide, it's true, but I found it too polished.
Because of this, numerical markings and other cable grooves were over-smoothed. This makes the handle at certain times slippery with a wet hand, something that never happened with the brass version.
It can end up being confused with the zamak version in its appearance. I believe that if the Yaqi used that "raw metal" finish like the Yaqi Bohemia it would give it more character. Maybe it cost more...
1689615685304.png

In the end, I still prefer the brass version.
In an ambiguous comparison the brass version would be like a vinyl while the SS version would be the CD version of the same album!
Yaqi was very accurate in leaving it with this golden/raw brass finish, which gave the device a unique personality, unlike the Pearl Flexi where it is clearly seen that it tries to imitate a Rex Ambassador in appearance.

I preferred to spend a few weeks evaluating so as not to have any opinion of excitement for the recent purchase.
Finally, it came true, the version of "The Final Cut" in its possible best form, stainless steel 316L.
I already have the brass version and it was precisely because of its quality that it was a decisive factor in wanting this SS 316L version as well.
As expected, great build quality. Ok, it is possible to witness some circular marks of the CNC process, but in the end we have the precision of adjustment and perfect alignments where it needs to be. And that's the essential in an adjustable razor!
The polished finish delivers a superior glide, it's true, but I found it too polished.
Because of this, numerical markings and other cable grooves were over-smoothed. This makes the handle at certain times slippery with a wet hand, something that never happened with the brass version.
It can end up being confused with the zamak version in its appearance. I believe that if the Yaqi used that "raw metal" finish like the Yaqi Bohemia it would give it more character. Maybe it cost more...
View attachment 1687768

In the end, I still prefer the brass version.
In an ambiguous comparison the brass version would be like a vinyl while the SS version would be the CD version of the same album!
Yaqi was very accurate in leaving it with this golden/raw brass finish, which gave the device a unique personality, unlike the Pearl Flexi where it is clearly seen that it tries to imitate a Rex Ambassador in appearance.

I have noticed that the SS version is (far) more aggressive than the brass one, does it also happen to you?

I have noticed that the SS version is (far) more aggressive than the brass one, does it also happen to you?
As far as I could see the geometry is identical in both models.
I really noticed that it was easier to get hurt with the SS version than the brass version, perhaps due to the certain drag present in the brass version, while in the SS there is more slip, so the blade's conduction in the brass version is less skittish. But at least I didn't notice (far) difference.

I received the replacement Yaqi Final Cut chrome/gunmetal razor. Great customer service. The fit between the top cap and blade plate is much much better and is now resulting in a good clamping between cap, blade and blade pate. The shave was smoother and produced a BBS at a setting just over 1.25. This razor is very efficient but quite aggressive in feel (YMMV). The profile of the zamak head does not produce the zen type shaves achieved by the Rex or Flexi but of course they are at higher price points. This Final Cut is still a keeper for any stable of razors.

Top Bottom