What's new

***WINNER**Grudge Match: Old vs Old; Thin vs Thick

but I still prefer shaving with my Bulldog. It will always be my favorite OT.

There aren't many razors that I still want to buy but a vintage Bulldog OT is definitely at the top of the list. I figure one day I'll be in the right place at the right time and be lucky enough to snag one without mortgaging the house.

Apr 6: Grudge Match: Round 1: Old Type thin vs thick cap

Lather: Vitos (Susan Darnell) Tabacco Crema di Barba
Brush: Vie-Long 12705 brown horse-hair (24mm/50mm)
Razor: Gillette Old Type (1918)
Second Razor: Gillette Old Type (1921-29)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum [1]
Splash: RazoRock The Stallion

Tobacco and Brown Horse Thursday - It's the Law

I am not happy.

It's no surprise that the Gillette Old Type thick cap is not only my favorite Old Type, it's also one of my top 2 or 3 DE razors period. I know exactly how this is going to end, but I'm only doing this challenge to try to get the thick cap to win ;-)

Both razors used the same blade being swapped between razors. To shake things up a little, I used a new Astra Superior Platinum, a blade I have never used before. The thin cap shaved the right side of my face (I'm right handed) and the thick cap shaved the left.

Efficiency: Tied. Like a hot butter knife through room temperature butter.

Smoothness: This surprised me. Tied on all 3 passes. The shaves were indistinguishable from each other. I even skipped WTG and went straight to ATG and same result. They felt exactly the same.

Ease of Shave: Tied

Overall Experience: I was not expecting this ... dead even. I have done this grudge match many times before, but always with a blade that had between 20 and 80 shaves on it, and the thick cap was noticeable smoother. With this new blade, they're even.

Winner of Round 1: I'd like to say Old Type thick cap, but in reality, it was a dead tie. I'm not happy ;-)

proxy.php

Yes I would. I originally liked one of these, and after honestly testing them against each other I found that I liked the other one better. I acknowledge a proven winner without hesitation. If you use an OLD, any OLD, you're the winner! :thumbsup:

Right! That's what I meant!

:thumbup::wink2:

Shave #2

I switched sides of my face, this time using the single/thin cap on the right side and the ball end/thick cap on the left side of my face. Same prep and set up as Shave #1.

Efficiency: This time it was a tie. Both sides feel the same and not quite as good as the thin cap was able to achieve on Shave #1.

Smoothness: This too was very close and I call it a tie. Unlike the first shave, the single ring/thin cap provided me with a smooth shave as the razor moved across my face.

Ease of the Shave: This time around both felt good. I was not bothered by the lower weight of the single ring. I'll call this a tie as well.

Overall Experience: Much like the previous shave, I did get several weepers from the thin cap and only one from the thick cap. I give this to the thick cap.

Winner: Since the end result was the same yet more weepers were derived from the thin cap, I'm declaring the thick cap the winner of this one.

I was little rushed for this shave so for the third and final shave I'm going to slow it down, take my time and really pay attention to technique, angle and pressure. I think the third shave should decide it for me which of the two I prefer......

Round 2
Both Ball End razors loaded with Astra SPs
Head shave and beard line cleanup

Efficiency: Draw Yesterday I thought the thin took this one, but today they seemed dead even.

Smoothness: Draw Both razors provided a very close irritation free shave.

Ease of the shave (grip, stroke and angle....): Thick If I have a complaint about the OLD, It's the ball end handle is weighted towards the wrong end making it too handle heavy. The thick cap help balance it out still a little off but feels better in my hand.

Overall experience: Draw

Winner of round 2: Thick It pains me to give it to the thick. I almost always use a thin over a thick, but side by side the thick just feels better in my hand.

"It's no surprise that the Gillette Old Type thick cap is not only my favorite Old Type, it's also one of my top 2 or 3 DE razors period. I know exactly how this is going to end, but I'm only doing this challenge to try to get the thick cap to win ;-)"

I'll admit, my bias is also in favor of the old thick cap. Trying to be as honest as possible however, as I'm trying to settle this for myself.

I've since used each of these razors for a complete shave after the first round. Yesterday I used my Fatip to reset to zero.

Round Two:
Not much variety in equipment, two Gillettes loaded with Feather blades, MWF puck.

I must be compensating for each razor's quirks, because the differences seemed almost to have disappeared. The thick-cap Ball-End seemed smoother, the Single Ring was more efficient than before, but at the expense of smoothness. Very similar shaves tonight.

I distinctly remember the Single-Ring having some trouble with a two pass shave. Perhaps it was loaded with Astras that time, and the Feather blades make a difference. I really do like an Astra in this type of razor. I'm tempted to load Astras for the final round.

Efficiency: Draw, maybe, maybe the thick-cap.
Smoothness: Draw
Ease of the shave: Draw
Overall experience: It's really a toss-up, but I'm going to give this round to the Single-Ring (thin cap) just because it's a nicer looking razor.

Last edited:
Great reading! I figured that this would be a tough battle.

We have:

1. @troy
Round 1= Thin Round 2= Thick Round 3=

2. @emwolf,
Round 1= Thin Round 2= Round 3=

3. @Useless shaver,
Round 1=Thin Round 2=Thin Round 3= Thin

4. @romsitsa,
Round 1= Thin Round 2= Round 3=

5. @chongo gordo,
Round 1= Thick Round 2= Thin Round 3=

6. @DrAwkward,