What's new

Old Type Comparison

Hello, I'm new to collecting Gillette Old Type Razors. I was wondering if there is a difference in the model 100 vs 102 single or double rings in the way that they shave? Earlier years vs the later years up to say 1921. I have a 1913 year and was wondering if it is similar to say an earlier double ring. For some reason I have become obsessed the these old types and would like to learn as much as I can about them. Thanks

lasta

Blade Biter
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the model names so much as general varieties.

Consensus is that there are 2 types of OTs, thin cap (early) and thick cap. I'd wager there is a third extra thick (cap + baseplate) ie Big Fellow version, although not everyone distinguishes.

The thinner versions are more blade forward, thicker variants a bit smoother, thought medium+ aggressive in their own right.

Thanks, I noticed that the earlier models have a thinner cap and baseplate than the later models. So essentially all the earlier models with the thin cap and baseplate pretty much shave the same?

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks, I noticed that the earlier models have a thinner cap and baseplate than the later models. So essentially all the earlier models with the thin cap and baseplate pretty much shave the same?
Generally yes, though keep in mind turn of the century production consistency is not exactly peak.

Top Bottom