What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Anyone ever combine Family Dollar Spice and Avon Spicy?
Not yet. I'd just be afraid of waisting my Avon Spicy on the experiment, lol. But I've smelled the Family Dollar version, prefer it to the Old Spice of today, by far. No idea about it's longevity though.

Not yet. I'd just be afraid of waisting my Avon Spicy on the experiment, lol. But I've smelled the Family Dollar version, prefer it to the Old Spice of today, by far. No idea about it's longevity though.

I have 7oz of Spicy, so a little experiment won't dent my supply too much. It's definitely one Avon to hoard! (ok I want to hoard them all but that's another thread..)

The Family Dollar Spice smells very good and is indeed more spicy than the current "Classic OS" is lacking in longevity. If anyone hasn't tried it yet, I'd suggest one of those 1 oz. bottles of English Leather Spiced that are floating around now. It says "Mem" on the bottle (the company that sold English Leather to Dana) but it's hard to believe so many bottles are available since Mem was sold to Renaissance Cosmetics in 1996 (parent company of New Dana Perfumes).

If you want to read an interesting history of how a company started: History of New Dana Perfumes Company – FundingUniverse

proxy.php

FarmerTan

I have 7oz of Spicy, so a little experiment won't dent my supply too much. It's definitely one Avon to hoard! (ok I want to hoard them all but that's another thread..)
I know about the hoarding, lol. Every time I sing the praises of vintage Avon I think someone will be converted and buy up the stuff before I get the chance!

FarmerTan

The Family Dollar Spice smells very good and is indeed more spicy than the current "Classic OS" is lacking in longevity. If anyone hasn't tried it yet, I'd suggest one of those 1 oz. bottles of English Leather Spiced that are floating around now. It says "Mem" on the bottle (the company that sold English Leather to Dana) but it's hard to believe so many bottles are available since Mem was sold to Renaissance Cosmetics in 1996 (parent company of New Dana Perfumes).

If you want to read an interesting history of how a company started: History of New Dana Perfumes Company – FundingUniverse

proxy.php
Is this stuff good? Is it still available, or only as new old stock? Sorry if the questions are stupid, but this stuff has me intrigued...

Is this stuff good? Is it still available, or only as new old stock? Sorry if the questions are stupid, but this stuff has me intrigued...

English Leather Spiced For Men

English Leather Spiced by Dana Cologne 1 oz Unboxed | eBay

There's usually 35% off coupon floating around the net if using their main site but unless you build up an order, the shipping charge would make the Ebay order more feasible for just one bottle. At that price, you can just take a chance. To my shnoz, it's pretty good although I can't vouch as to whether it's really the original Mem bottles.

From P&G's website description of their classic aftershave:

With a buoy-shaped bottle and distinctive scent, Old Spice After Shave is as American as a man on a motorcycle jumping over a baseball stadium while singing the national anthem. And the only thing despots hate more than decentralized government and free speech is the smell of Old Spice After Shave. So punch totalitarianism in the piehole by splashing on some Old Spice After Shave.

The Indian version might be jumping over a cricket stadium but still punch totalitarianism in the piehole.

Someone probably posted this earlier in the thread somewhere, but I just splashed on some Indian OS and it doesn't smell much different from what you can get in Walmart. I get a much more floral scent from these Old Spices (Indian and P&G)than I got from the old stuff. This really smells like carnations, I think.

Someone probably posted this earlier in the thread somewhere, but I just splashed on some Indian OS and it doesn't smell much different from what you can get in Walmart. I get a much more floral scent from these Old Spices (Indian and P&G)than I got from the old stuff. This really smells like carnations, I think.

I think most people say that the Indian stuff is closer to vintage than P&G. It's supposedly the Shulton formula. I've never tried it. Have enough vintage to last a couple lifetimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most people say that the Indian stuff is closer to vintage than P&G. It's supposedly the Shulton formula. I've never tried it. Have enough vintage to last a couple lifetimes.

Thanks. I've had it on for over an hour now, and its not at all unpleasant, but it isn't what I remember. You don't get a carnation scent from OS, do you?

FarmerTan

There is something weird about the smell to me as well. May as well call it carnations, I guess, lol.

A couple of months ago, I picked up some Old Spice in an antique shop. It was a 4.25 oz milk glass bottle, with the racing yacht on it. On the back, it said distributed by P&G, but it was still made by Shulton, and had a date of 1993. The bottle was about half full, and I tried it this morning for the first time, after shaving with Chiseled Face Tradewinds soap.

Very nice! It doesn't smell like it has castor oil in it. Compared to CVS/ViJon Spice AS, this is "spicier" while the ViJon smells "sweeter" to me. It's morphed a bit after drying down for a couple of hours, but it still smells like OS, and it's terrific! While I still love the ViJon Spice AS, I wouldn't mind finding some more of this, so I could use it a little more frequently. Right now, with my limited supply, I'll have to use it sparingly and not quite so frequently.

FarmerTan

A couple of months ago, I picked up some Old Spice in an antique shop. It was a 4.25 oz milk glass bottle, with the racing yacht on it. On the back, it said distributed by P&G, but it was still made by Shulton, and had a date of 1993. The bottle was about half full, and I tried it this morning for the first time, after shaving with Chiseled Face Tradewinds soap.

Very nice! It doesn't smell like it has castor oil in it. Compared to CVS/ViJon Spice AS, this is "spicier" while the ViJon smells "sweeter" to me. It's morphed a bit after drying down for a couple of hours, but it still smells like OS, and it's terrific! While I still love the ViJon Spice AS, I wouldn't mind finding some more of this, so I could use it a little more frequently. Right now, with my limited supply, I'll have to use it sparingly and not quite so frequently.
Have you tried some vintage Avon Spicy? I actually prefer it to ANY of the Old Spice. But stay away from it unless you don't mind another aquisition disorder, lol.

Have you tried some vintage Avon Spicy? I actually prefer it to ANY of the Old Spice. But stay away from it unless you don't mind another aquisition disorder, lol.
I'm pretty sure I've checked it out at at least one antique store, but I don't think I was ready to start collecting Avon decanters yet. Maybe if I find some in a smaller container I'll give it a shot.

FarmerTan

I've got a bunch of old Avon stuff I need to rebottle. Those decanters are SOOOOO not groovy to store....

Who wouldn't fall in love with this bottle? :001_rolle

IMG_5885.JPG

I'm discovering that the market for old empty Avon bottles isn't big. Many folks can't give their bottles away for $1-2. Even shipped from out of state isn't bad - just shipping weight.
I paid $2 for this little keeper. Filled it from my stash once it was cleaned.

I'm pretty sure I've checked it out at at least one antique store, but I don't think I was ready to start collecting Avon decanters yet. Maybe if I find some in a smaller container I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, but if you haven't tried Avon Spicy, you should try it. It's a dead ringer for vintage Old Spice.

Top Bottom