What's new

Will the real "Old Spice" please stand up

At the risk of being banned from B&B, I will risk it for the sake of being honest: I really prefer the smell of vintage Avon Spicy over that of any Old Spice.....sorry.....it was nice being welcomed here while it lasted....sniff...

Nah, it's cool. You only risk getting banned if you were to say the P&G version is better. :001_tt2:

My SO and my kids all say that Avon Spicy smells identical to vintage Old Spice,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My SO and my kids all say that Avon Spicy smells identical to vintage Old Spice,

My wife prefers the Spicy. I honestly have no idea why I prefer it, and I am lousy at descriptions, but Spicy is just less in your face to me. I think?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried the CVS Spice Scent aftershave today for the first time, and WOW!

I tried the P&G Old Spice a few months ago, and I couldn't stand it - I used it before we went to a cookout, and I couldn't wait to get home and take a shower. It just had a bitter chemical smell that really disagreed with me. I used it that one time, and after a couple of weeks, I decided that I wasn't going to use it again, and tossed it. $8 thrown away.

After reading on here, about how the CVS/Family Dollar/Vi-Jon OS knock-off was more like the original, and way better than the new stuff, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a bottle. I used it after shaving with CFG Tradewinds, and have been amazed at how it smells and has evolved throughout the day. The only thing I don't like is the plastic bottle, so now, I'll be on the hunt for a Vintage OS bottle when my wife and I go antiquing.

Thanks, B&B'ers!!

Good for you Tipster. For me, the Vijon scent is very similar to P&G but doesn't last anywhere near as long.

Good for you Tipster. For me, the Vijon scent is very similar to P&G but doesn't last anywhere near as long.

Yeah, longevity is the downfall of the Vi-Jon version.

Hmm...I have to admit I was kinda pleased with the hang time. Are the Family Dollar version and the CVS version exactly the same? Or is the FD version way more diluted than the CVS product?? That could explain the huge price difference.

I have both, and always thought they behave the same. Never did a side by side on them though.

I always just attributed it to CVS being more expensive as it is.

Sent from my Spider-Phone

I mix the Vijon with the P&G Old Spice and get something pretty close to the Sulton OS and it last for hours on my skin.

Just received some P&G Indian made OS fresh lime. Whoa! It seems to have a fairly stout fragrance body.

I never really used OS even back in the day and vividly remember a female co-worker in the 1980's say this comment about people who wear it, "They smell like a wino" (serious, that was the actual comment).

Regardless, this is a new day and age. For you who used OS "back in the day" and have compared it to what is available today, do you feel they are approximately the same or not?

FarmerTan

Just received some P&G Indian made OS fresh lime. Whoa! It seems to have a fairly stout fragrance body.

I never really used OS even back in the day and vividly remember a female co-worker in the 1980's say this comment about people who wear it, "They smell like a wino" (serious, that was the actual comment).

Regardless, this is a new day and age. For you who used OS "back in the day" and have compared it to what is available today, do you feel they are approximately the same or not?
Glad you posted this. I too have been wanting to try this exact scent. Tell us: do you like it? You may save my marriage, so answer carefully, lol. It seems the War Dept doesn't appreciate my penchant for allocating funds on scents.....

Glad you posted this. I too have been wanting to try this exact scent. Tell us: do you like it? You may save my marriage, so answer carefully, lol. It seems the War Dept doesn't appreciate my penchant for allocating funds on scents.....

Hey Dave,

LOL, yep I know what you mean about funds allocation. I'm probably going to be trying it tomorrow morning out the door to work. Just pulling the cap and smelling it the jury is still out. It doesn't resemble anything I've ever used before. I'm not even sure if it actually smells like lime! But who knows once it's been applied.

FarmerTan

Hey Dave,

LOL, yep I know what you mean about funds allocation. I'm probably going to be trying it tomorrow morning out the door to work. Just pulling the cap and smelling it the jury is still out. It doesn't resemble anything I've ever used before. I'm not even sure if it actually smells like lime! But who knows once it's been applied.
Thanks! Keep me posted...

Ha, I just posted about my Family Dollar haul, and my new experience w/ ViJon Spice!
To me, the new Proctor and Gamble Old Spice is good, not great, and fairly cheap at eight bucks. I bought a bottle quite a while ago and have been taking a splash here and there. Rather Un-excitedly, I must say.
Tonight, under advisement of what I've read on this board, I picked up a two buck bottle of ViJon Spice, and it is amazing. I can't speak to longevity yet, but there's something about it that is amazingly better to my nose than the P&G version. It took me right back to my parent's medicine cabinet as a child. Great stuff. And hahaha, two dollars, c'mon man, that's ridiculous.

FarmerTan

Ha, I just posted about my Family Dollar haul, and my new experience w/ ViJon Spice!
To me, the new Proctor and Gamble Old Spice is good, not great, and fairly cheap at eight bucks. I bought a bottle quite a while ago and have been taking a splash here and there. Rather Un-excitedly, I must say.
Tonight, under advisement of what I've read on this board, I picked up a two buck bottle of ViJon Spice, and it is amazing. I can't speak to longevity yet, but there's something about it that is amazingly better to my nose than the P&G version. It took me right back to my parent's medicine cabinet as a child. Great stuff. And hahaha, two dollars, c'mon man, that's ridiculous.
Ok. Now you've gone and done it. I can see I will be spending 2 bucks tomorrow....

I liked it also, but I mixed it 50/50 with Avon Spicy, even better.

Thanks! Keep me posted...

Wellllll....I put it on after this a.m. shave. Ummm....a little "pungent" (not sure how else to describe it). Now I like Florida Water, the Fine AS line, Skin Bracer and Speick. This stuff went on very similar to Pinaud Clubman in all honest. The only problem was it didn't wear as long.

If I ever used the original Old Spice it would have been in the 70's (my dad had it in the bathroom constantly) and I just don't remember anything about it. But based on today's wear I'm going to say the "new stuff" is not going to be a scent in my regular rotation.

That's just me though and the next guy might find it to be entirely different!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Odd that I never found this thread before. I only recently ran out of my Indian Old Spice I bought in Dubai, and I don't care for the current P&G Old Spice. Actually I don't care for P&G, either, but I am talking about the aftershave.

I think P&G just wanted to silently and gradually kill the brand when they bought it, and doesn't care a bit if it smells one way or the other. They just wanted to stifle the competition.

Top Bottom