What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

It came in handy a few weeks back for trimming parachute cord to tie a gentleman's hood down, he'd run into a deer and the hood was just flapping about.

I NEED MORE COFFEE! :lol:

what I first read:

gentleman's hood (of his sweatshirt) down, he'd run (as in jogged/sprinted) into a deer

Yeah, I got it 2 seconds later but the image in my head is still a confusing picture:lol:

Don't worry, water's boiling....:thumbup:

Anyway, great story! Glad you had your knife to help out.

Ken

Because I just bought me a new pocket sword. A Strider SMF. It could possibly be too big to be called a pocket knife but it fits in my pocket....barley.

I carry a knife when I'm at work, as there's always a box that needs to be opened or broken down. I have a nice Benchmade folding knife that is more than suitable for my needs.

I have 4 Kershaws, but I carry a a different one with me daily while I'm out and about for work,play(fishing) and for piece of mind. I work in Stockton CA and it can be rough at times and in certain areas. Here's a quick stat pulled from a recently article on its rising murder rate(I think were at 60+)

"According to Neighborhoodscout, which tracks the crime rate of every city in the United States, Stockton recorded a Crime Index rate of 2 out of 100. The index is based on a percentage, and it details that Stockton is safer than just 2 percent of the cities in the United States."

I usually carry a leatherman (Gerber brand) and a Swiss Army knife while i'm at work. Multitools save me a lot of time when the Wheelhouse and Engine room are 6 or 7 stories apart. And it never fails once you get up there you realize you forgot a screwdriver, knife, etc.

My wife calls me a country bumpkin for carrying a pocket knife. Of course she asks for the knife when she needs to open a bag of chips, parcel, etc.. I guess this country bumpkin is not too dumb.

Because all my Grandpaws and Great Uncles, Uncles and my Dad had and carried one; and I saw them used every day. I have over 20 in all sizes and styles.

But don't carry a knife to a gun fight!

I always carry the small Swiss Army and literally not a day goes by that I don't use it for something..often multiple times a day.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I currently carry a Kershaw. It's like DE shaving....after a month doing it (carrying a pocket knife) you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. A few examples of when its came in handy for me: whittling fireside, any number of package opening, that pesky string hanging off my shirt, peeling an apple. Keep in mind your state laws tho. I know in IL a blade over 3" in some cases is against the law. And honestly you don't need to be Crocodile Dundee.

because they're incredibly functional. you can't always be at home, or in the office, or in the car - where scissors apparently are in constant abundance.

produce a helpful knife the next time you're in a jam in the field, and people will look at you like you're some kind of damn superhero.

in short, the knife is a critical part of any sensible EDC.

I always pack a Swiss Army Knife , and a good quality 3" locking folder . They get used all the time , and do repairs on the fly on all kinds of gear . I also tend to keep a Multitool in the briefcase/manbag .

Cgris

I don't seem to need it that often, unless I've forgotten it or I'm out of town by airline and had to leave it at home. Then a dozen things a day come up that it would have been handy for! A multi-tool is even more handy, if you don't mind carrying the bulk.

I'm a Southern boy. If someone asks, "Have you got a knife?" my reply is invariably "Am I naked? Do I look like I just stepped out of the shower?" If I got a pocket I'll have a knife. Which reminds me, anybody know where I can find a bath towel with pockets or do I need to see a tailor? I got Crikets, Cases, Queens, Bokers, Schrades, Gerbers, Swiss Victorinox and a couple of others I don't recall right away. Egad! I think I have PKAD. One of my favorites is a Queen commemerative copy of a S&M lock blake with a folding guard just like the one that went up Jack Nicholson's nose in 'Chinatown'. I carry one because I wear dentures and can't chew through things that need opening or cutting.

Last edited:
I carry a Leatherman Micro tool and a Buck Lite folding knife. I use the Micro Tool every day...scissors, screwdriver, file...the Buck knife....about once a week...there's always something that needs cutting.

If you've never carried a pocket knife on a daily basis, you'd likely not appreciate just how useful they can be.

+1​

Last edited:
because they're incredibly functional. you can't always be at home, or in the office, or in the car - where scissors apparently are in constant abundance.

produce a helpful knife the next time you're in a jam in the field, and people will look at you like you're some kind of damn superhero.

in short, the knife is a critical part of any sensible EDC.
This pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom