What's new

Pocket clip, yes or no?

For me, the snswer is no. Since I live in the UK, all the knives I carry are non-locking folders with a main or only blade under 3in long. That means they sit at the bottom of a pocket until needed, and a pocket clip just adds to their bulk and tends to catch on other stuff in that pocket. I suspect a lot of UK edc knife owners feel the same, as possibly do many in the US, yet manufacturers often include a clip on even their smallest knives. Sometimes these can be easily removed, but often not. Quite a few knives I was otherwise impressed by I've not bought because they had a clip firmly attached.
So, am I in a tiny minority, or do others find pocket clips rather annoying?

All my knives have clips: I hate the idea of them just floating around in the bottom of my pocket, and jutting uncomfortably when I sit. With the knife clipped to the back side of the pocket, I know exactly where it is, can easily access it, and when I don't need it remains completely out of the way.

Having said that, the clip must be a deep carry one. :)

For me, the snswer is no. Since I live in the UK, all the knives I carry are non-locking folders with a main or only blade under 3in long. That means they sit at the bottom of a pocket until needed, and a pocket clip just adds to their bulk and tends to catch on other stuff in that pocket. I suspect a lot of UK edc knife owners feel the same, as possibly do many in the US, yet manufacturers often include a clip on even their smallest knives. Sometimes these can be easily removed, but often not. Quite a few knives I was otherwise impressed by I've not bought because they had a clip firmly attached.
So, am I in a tiny minority, or do others find pocket clips rather annoying?
I don't usually use the pocket clip on my knives either even if it has one. This may sound silly but it wears out my pants much more quickly where the clip goes. Most of the time it lives at the bottom of my pocket.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
100% yes. I spend most of my life in athletic clothing, but even when I am not, I carry folders inside the waistband of my pants at 4:00. I've been doing this since shortly after I switched to carrying my wallet in my front pocket. Even larger profile knifes like the Manix 2 (lightweight) are tucked out of the way.

I hate having to dig for my knife when I need it, so a pocket clip is a must for me. It's easy to get at even while sitting.

For me, generally no. I remove most clips. I grew up with traditional folders and swiss army knives in my pockets nearly every waking moment.

I'm more likely to use a lanyard than a clip, but not many lanyards for me either.

Sheaths work when I need really handy access. And they are typically more secure than clips.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Small physician's knife, one blade, no ring, very small, no problem sitting along the seam at the bottom of my pocket.

My EDC is a Swiss Army Knife. Always has been, always will be. Anything I've generally carried in addition to that (multitool, flashlight, fixed blade) has generally came with a sheath or pouch, and goes on my belt. As such, I haven't really messed with pocket clips, and it's not a priority for anything I purchase.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
For many years, I used a Swiss Army knife on a custom length lanyard. The lanyard looped around my belt and held the knife inside my pocket but suspended off the bottom of my pocket so it didn’t wear my pockets out.

I have a robust number of pocket knives, many with pocket clips.

After a few trials, I have never used a clip.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't have one set preference.

While I do have several other choices, unceremoniously tucked away in a shoebox, here's what's currently living in my pocket tool drawer, alongside a few multitools, torches, etc.

Traditionals:

IMG_20231110_215541.jpg

Now I have a more sedate lifestyle, these get more use than they used to. I'm perfectly happy with one of these in my trouser pocket. If I'm away from home, there's also a Victorinox Manager on my keys.

Swiss knives:

IMG_20231110_215314.jpg

If I'm leaving the house with one of these, the Deluxe Tinker on a lanyard is the most often with me. A heavie5pocket tool like this, might be more likely to scrape the pocket when sat down (depending on the pocket style), so it's nice to have a fall arrest system on it. The Cybertool 34 is probably the most frequently pocketed at home. I find the Voyages Lite useful for overnight stays, as the light is just enough to find light switches or my way to the loo in an unfamiliar space.

Others:

IMG_20231110_215025.jpg

When I had a more active lifestyle, knives like this were carried far more often. I do still occasionally carry and use these though. They're all non-locking under 3" blade. You'll notice there are three which are one hand opening on a clip, one that is single hand opening without a clip, and a traditional style with a clip. These days, I tend to mainly use a clipped knife if I'm wearing chinos shorts. They do seem to have a habit of vomiting out pocket knives. I'll occasionally wear one with jeans or hiking trousers too.

I tend to hold onto things like knives and pens. I have carried the same two Kershaw knives, a Leek or a Blur 1670T Blkst. I have always used the clip as I don’t like to fish a knife out of my pocket. The one time I lost a knife was on vacation. We were going out to a restaurant and I didn’t want to have a knife visible. Somewhere during the evening the Leek slipped out of my pocket. I made the decision to always carry with a clip from that day on. I recently replaced the Leek.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Yes for me. I have one knife that I carry everyday. It’s clipped to rear of my front pocket, right side. I’ve been carrying knives in that same spot for over 30yrs, I can find it EVERY time I need it without even thinking. Kind of like a piece of gear on a duty belt, when you really need something you don’t want to be digging around looking for it.

Last year I started carry a number of more traditional knives, which mostly have no clip. If they come with a belt pouch, like the Buck 110, I use that. For the others I have purchased small, medium and large open-topped belt sheaths. It's almost as handy as a belt clip and doesn't cover those beautiful scales.
20231004_100145.jpg

Top Bottom