What's new

Why do you carry a pocket knife?

Me, I carry a Doug Ritter every day. It is made by Benchmade but with a stonewashed blade. I use it nearly each day for work - boxes, mail, the usual stuff.

This thread is about pocket knives and I went through a bunch before I settled on mine. To have it clipped to my pocket is my preference, I didn’t care to have the size knife I needed inside my pocket. With it clipped on my pocket I don’t even know it is there, but it is.

Not NEARLY enough pictures in this thread - what ARE you all thinking???

proxy.php

Last edited:
I've carried a small Gerber for 35 years for work. Opening boxes and seed bags is a regular thing. But when I'm taking SWAMBO out for the evening I leave it at home. The cutlery at the restaurant is usually more than adequate.

Because I'd feel lost without it. I've carried a knife everyday for over 15 years now. I find a use for it practically every single day. Opening letters or packages is the bulk of it, but taking out a splinter, trimming a hangnail or other similar uses come to mind.

Same here. It's a rare day that goes by without me using my knife.

I have 7 or 8 in rotation. Folders under 4" and under 2.2 oz or so with no clips. I like them with thumb studs so I can open them one handed, and liner locks for the same reason, although a few are lockbacks. Between my pocketknife and my aaa fenix (or the like, although only 4 of them) people are always coming into my office to borrow one or the other.

Because a very small minority here have committed knife crimes, and now the rest of us are banned from carrying even the smallest Swiss army knife on our key chain. Self defence is not the issue. We can't even carry knives which are meant to be a tool, like Kirk said.

I don't feel like I need a knife for defence. I have two hands, and a fair bit of training, which should be more than adequate here in Australia, since our baddies don't usually have firearms. I just want a small blade for opening packages, cutting string, and other useful chores. Because of a handful of morons I am now not allowed to have even that.

That's ridiculous to not allow you guys to carry even small blades. That policy only hurts innocent people, because the criminals will carry a knife if they want to regardless of the law. So it just means you honest people are inconvenienced by not letting you have a useful tool like a knife with you. And hell, a knife could come in handy if a bad guy robs you.

Amen to the knife carriers. I have a small folding Buck that has been sharpened so much the blade shape is changing and getting narrower. It's been in my pocket for 25+ years.

Ive been carrying a knife for a couple of years now. I settled on this Trevor Ablett as my new EDC. It's awesome and a real conversation starter.

Attachments

• $IMG_0339.jpg
    $IMG_0339.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 171
"The properly dressed man always carries a knife, comb and handkerchief and wears a belt." - Grandpa ~1970 when I got my first knife.

My grandfather told me something similar when I was about 12. "A gentleman always carries a lighter, a knife and a handkerchief." I can't find a good place for the handkerchief, but I almost always have a knife and a Zippo lighter with me, even though I rarely smoke anymore. Both the knife and the Zippo come in handy more often than one might expect. Especially the knife. If I go a day without using it, that's an unusual day.

Edit: If anyone is interested, my usually work day knife is a Benchmade mini-griptillian with olive scales and my non-work day knife is a Benchmade full size Griptillian with black scales.

Last edited:
I have one of these...

View attachment 232963

I use it almost everyday... the knife to open and cut things, the screwdrivers for opening things, such as computers, etc. the saw when the blade isn't enough, the pliers are great to grab things, pry things, they also make excellent tweezers, and the flashlight is very useful of regular basis.

I feel naked and hate when I don't have it as I always end up needing a tool as some point throughout my day.

I also carry a flashlight with me everywhere. It's a Streamlight nano stream clipped to my back pocket next my wallet. I can't count the times that I have used it especially in antique stores with unlit cases.

How do you sharpen the blades?

Here in Denmark it is illegal to carry blades that lock, so they`re always quite wobbly when trying to sharpen them.

What kind of knife? I'm 66 years old and my dad gave me my first when I was 8, so have been carrying one for 56 years now. I currently have one of the Benchmade axis locking blade knives, but before it generally used a small Case stockman type where you just opened the blade and a spring in the back held the blade open , to close just push the blade, no real locking there and I never found them wobbly.

The chance that I forget to take my cell-phone with me is way bigger than to forget my pocket knife. I use it dozens and dozens of times a day and really hate it if I left it at home.

Dunno what happened to my pic of my Doug Ritter (above) but here it is again. I love the stone washed blade - pocket clip is on the other side. Takes a great edge after it dulls down.

proxy.php

When I was a mere boy one of my grandfathers taught me that a real man always has a (pocket) knife about his person. So ever since then I have, no matter whether in suit or shorts, in town or on the beach, at home or abroad. I have one in my rucksack, one in my car, I sometimes carry one on my belt or just in my trouser or waistcoat pocket. Opinel and Laguiole being my favourites. But those red Swiss army knives are good too, as is the trusted old Leatherman tool (not strictly a pocket knife - I know).

I have one of these...

View attachment 232963

I use it almost everyday... the knife to open and cut things, the screwdrivers for opening things, such as computers, etc. the saw when the blade isn't enough, the pliers are great to grab things, pry things, they also make excellent tweezers, and the flashlight is very useful of regular basis.

I feel naked and hate when I don't have it as I always end up needing a tool as some point throughout my day.

What's the name of this cool device?

Top Bottom