What's new

Why are you using DE?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
For me, I believe member 'John' summed it up best by stating in his on-line exposé "The Zen of Shaving: How a Double-edge Razor Can Change Your Life";

"If I told you a way you could improve your health, save money, help the environment, and feel better about yourself by doing something you already do every day, would you be interested? View attachment 203132

As a reader of Zen Habits with values of simplicity and efficiency … I thought so. What’s surprising is this method has been around for over a hundred years. I’m talking about a traditional wet shave using a shaving brush, shaving soaps/creams, and a double edge razor. Before you scoff at this idea, let’s take a look at the benefits.

1. Improve Your Health. By far, the predominant reason men find traditional wet shaving is the promise of healthier skin. Fed up with razor burn, ingrown hairs, redness and bumps, many are searching for alternate methods to achieve a smooth face. Not only can wet shaving help with shaving problems, your face will thank you for the extra attention. Whereas the normal canned goo and aftershaves are made with chemicals and low cost ingredients, traditional products are full of nutrients and skin-friendly moisturizers. Your face will look better and feel healthier.

2. Save Money. I was drawn to wet shaving for the economical benefits after being increasingly frustrated with the multi-blade cartridge racket. Outside of the $100 initial investment, the daily consumables cost pennies a day. For instance, where a marketing driven cartridge razor can cost over $3 a piece, a typical double edge blade costs a quarter, a savings of over $140 per year on blades alone.

3. Reduce Your Environmental Impact. With traditional wet shaving, the only waste is the lather you wash down the drain and a simple metal blade, which is easily recycled. Shaving soap bowls can easily be reused if you buy refills. Even the lather down the drain is friendlier to the environment as it’s just soap rather than chemical ridden goop. Try a straight razor (yes, they’re still used) if you want to reduce your footprint even more.

4. Improve Your Wellbeing. It is well known that when you look your best, you feel better. Starting the morning off with an excellent shave, followed up by a quality aftershave leaves you feeling clean, professional, and smelling good. It consistently amazes me how good my day starts when I take a few minutes to treat myself to a good shave. I feel awake, more energy, and confident to tackle the day.

5. It’s fun! I had to add one more reason. It may be surprising, but for the reasons above, you may even find shaving to be fun. Scrubbing your face with a badger haired shaving brush with nice smelling lather is luxurious every time. You may also find yourself proud of learning to use traditional shaving items, which do require some skill to use correctly. You may even venture into the world of straight razor shaving and learn to shave the way your great-grandfather shaved, bringing to your life a sense of tradition and connection to years past".

http://zenhabits.net/the-zen-of-shaving-how-a-double-edge-razor-can-change-your-life/

View attachment 203126"A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Author Unknown

Last edited:
Because it pleases me.

I use both cartridge and DE razors and enjoy both. Learning how to shave properly with them went a really long way to changing shaving from a pain in the *** to an enjoyable experience. I have normal skin that doesn't melt like the Nazis at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" if I walk past a Fusion display. Cost isn't really an issue. Cartridges last me forever and I don't buy the cheapest DE blades I can find. Yeah, all these guys with shave dens full of more cosmetics than their wife has are saving a bundle, aren't they? When I use a DE it's simply because I enjoy shaving with it.

cause I'm too slow with a st8 and get better shaves, I started using my st8 due to getting tired of using my fusion past dull due to the cost of replacements.

Last edited:
Cause it's interesting and the razors are cool. I can't say it shaves any better, because for some reason the cartridges work great for me too.

Hi to all,

I have a simple question:

- why are you using DE?

My reply is because the blades are economic.

I don't have another motivation

This don't wash! Lol! I do it for the enormously closer shave. I've never had such a close, comfortable shave in all my life 'till I started DE shaving.

the only cartridge that gave me a good shave was the M3. The fusion was just too large to move around my face. I hated having to buy 4-5 carts for 20 bucks a pop and although the shave was pretty good it wasn't "fun". DE shaving is fun and cheaper if you can resist spending money on quality items..

I originally started DE shaving to reduce cost since money was/is tight. After perfecting my technique I realized that I get a much closer shave than my multi-blade cart. It's also a lot less irritating on my sensitive skin so I am able to shave more frequently. Also, I'd be lying if I said that the "green" factor didn't play a role.

I came back to DE (started shaving with them, then switched to carts), because I was tired of shaves that never felt right. I have continued with DE because:
1. Better results;
2. Cost of blades-v-carts;
3. The fact that I have not had one ingrown since coming back to DE that was a monthly occurrence with carts;
4. The "retro" factor of using an older but great technology;
5. Memories of growing up.

I really like Mach3, it's a good one for my skin. Thus far my average result with Mach3 is probably better than with DE razors. Although it will probably change: I am getting better and better. So it's not about being dissapointed with other options. I just love the looks of a good razor and the weight of it in my hand. I love the sound when I shave with my new feather blade. I love my shaving soaps and creams to death. I obviously know one could use all the wet shave essentials but instead of DE shave with for example Mach3, which I do sometimes. But with slow and methodological shave with DE you'll get the whole package. Also, the feeling of achieving something when there is zero nicks or cuts and no razor burn is great too.

I agree with everything said on here, except the "saving money" statement !! Holy Moly.....I've never bought so much stuff, 7 razors, 6 brushes, countless creams and soaps, alum block, skin food, aftershaves.....

but I still love shaving with a DE, better shaves, better skin...job done!

I couldn't imagine shaving any other way now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom