What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

Here's another from my personal collection. This one's not as old, more like early-mid 1800s, but it's a beauty!

Attachments

• $hepburn_prince.jpg
    $hepburn_prince.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 623
Those old razors are terrible. They remove hair more like an epilady, they tear it out You guys should get rid of them immediately. Its much more fashionable to shave with a Fusion anyway. If you want to throw them out, I will take them to make sure they are disposed of properly.Lol

Any news reports of burglary at the v&a are unrelated to the contents of this thread :biggrin:

That pic of yours was the reason I snuffled this one up! It's in crazy nice condition for a ~300 year old pice of steel, silver and tortoise

I stole it from some poor schmuck selling it on ebay... it didnt go cheap, but I was sure it was going to go for much, much more.

That is gorgeous. Who's the maker?

Cherrs mate! I like yours!!

As for the maker, I'm not sure! The stamp says la oor, but it looks like it may have been stamped poorly and some is lost? So it might be ????la ????oor? Anyone have any ideas?

Mike, where are you, you know all these old makers?!
Greybeard, this one is a challenge for you!!

My Greaves and Sons Warranted and my Greaves and Sons American Razor. Both are wedges and heavy. Warrented is c.1820's and the American Razor is c.1820's-1850's.

proxy.php

My brother just sent me pictures last night of that exact same Sheaf-Works razor...his only straight. It belonged to his grandfather. The only difference is that the W. Greaves & Sons is no longer visible and the blade appears closer to a 4/8 or 5/8 than yours (due to use and honing, I assume).

The bottom Greaves is a 6/8 I am sure they made them in different sizes but it could be due to honing too.

Top Bottom