What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

A Ramapo Company razor made circa 1854 well before the Civil War. Who know who it shaved back then. A soldier, a farmer, a statesman, .. only "it" knows.

proxy.php

I have shaved with it and got a great shave with it.

Nice razor! I love the unknown history of these old guys. Who knows what and who they've seen?

My oldest razor so far, a Bengall ~ 6/8 with original horn scales from around 1820's from what I've been told.

I was amazed of how nice this old blade shaved, very smooth and comfortable.

proxy.php

My oldest razor so far, a Bengall ~ 6/8 with original horn scales from around 1820's from what I've been told.

I was amazed of how nice this old blade shaved, very smooth and comfortable.

proxy.php

Great razor! It's amazing how well these guys shave.

Legion

Staff member
I can finally post a razor in this section and have it close to being a contender! :w00t:

A full wedge made by R.H & Sons in, I'm assuming, Sheffield, although it does not say. From the style and the tail I'd be guessing around 1800 - 1820ish?

I just shaved with it and it worked like a champ. I'm very pleased, it was a royal pain to hone.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very cool razors! Here's my Wade & Butcher. I believe it's from the 1820's.

Attachments

• $WADE1.jpg
    $WADE1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 714
  • $WADE3.jpg
    $WADE3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 714
Very nice. Thanks.

For my first B&B post, I thought I'd share something I composed regarding my preference for the vintage steel.

A hair's breadth from mortality

Before '67;
Before Lady Candace took the Drive of Dahlias;
Before Betty met Jack,
Or Leo, Lillian,
Before theirs became" the greatest;"
Before the Dust Bowl or Black Tuesday or the 20s started roaring;
Before Versailles ended all wars;
The first man took up the Wm Elliott & Co,
Ran the etched blade
Lightly and swiftly along the leather strop
Then slowly across his wet face and
Scraped away the passage of time.

Tonight I grasped his hand,
And with the aid of badger and Taylor
Passed that same #286 hollow ground
German carbon steel
Over my own throat--
A hair's breadth from mortality--
Listening to it sing
Until I set it down again
With one of the finest shaves in perhaps a hundred years.

Joseph Lavy, 3/26/2011©

Better late than never!

Clark & Hall "Warranted" Razor, Horn scales, full smiling wedge.

CLARK & HALL, Sheffield, 1797-1823 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

As said prior maybe not the oldest, but absolutely my oldest! This blade, which I hesitated honing at first, is am amazing shaver! Didya catch that glint off the bevel in the first pic? Smooth, sharp, quiet (= less feedback), and probably my favorite blade. Period.

The shape and tail methinks places this earlier in their production. At this point in time....

Attachments

• $Clark & Hall 1.jpg
    $Clark & Hall 1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 711
  • $Clark & Hall 2.jpg
    $Clark & Hall 2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 700
  • $Clark & Hall 3.jpg
    $Clark & Hall 3.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 695
  • $Clark & Hall 4.jpg
    $Clark & Hall 4.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Great looking wedge!
It's interesting to note in this thread and others like it on the net, that most of the oldest razors seem to be from the very late 1700's or early 1800's. Even many of the companies manufacturing razors were started in the late 1790's. I wonder if blades older than this are very rare because lots of people didn't own one before this time. It would figure that if everyone was shaving with a razor in the mid 1700's, they'd be floating around with their early 1800's brethren. The 1700's doesn't appear to be a time of rampant razor ownership or manufacture. Besides their age, anybody know why or the social conditions influencing razor manufacturing in the 1700's?

Wow, this sounds like an essay question for "Shaving 101" :)

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
That is the start of the industrial revolution. My guess is that the improved steam engine,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_engine invented by and patented in 1775 by James Watt, had a lot to do with it. Now cutlery makers, and steel foundries, were not dependant on being next to water to drive their machines. So you would have seen a big rise in manufacturers, which would have bought the price down to a point where razors were affordable to the common man.

I'm guessing up until then they were only owned by barbers and the rich.

That's my guess, anyway.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Better late than never!

Clark & Hall "Warranted" Razor, Horn scales.

My Clark & Hall "near pair" are definately my most Historic razors now left in my den. I should sell them but I'm hesitant as I would like to shave with them at least for awhile...

Attachments

• $clarkhall1.jpg
    $clarkhall1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 690
  • $clarkhall2.jpg
    $clarkhall2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 689
  • $clarkhall3.jpg
    $clarkhall3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 690
My Clark & Hall "near pair" are definately my most Historic razors now left in my den. I should sell them but I'm hesitant as I would like to shave with them at least for awhile...

Well, those look pretty messed up; sounds like you want to get rid of them, and although I don't really want them, I would step up and buy them from you. You know, to help out. Because I'm a giver. :drool:

ps. Did I mention they're really crappy shavers? Painful. Actually quite useless...

pps. Seriously a beautiful pair--thanks for sharing the pics!

Last edited:
My Greaves and Sons Warranted and my Greaves and Sons American Razor. Both are wedges and heavy. Warrented is c.1820's and the American Razor is c.1820's-1850's.

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's a beautiful Greaves. They are my favorites to buy, I like them cause they aren't as plentiful as others.

Found in the northern part of the country, in a ancient long forgotten village, in an ancient long forgotten house..I have not cleaned it or even washed it.. it still looks kinda living and new and want to tells its story. the condition is mint, everything is original and untouched.I picked it up, and dammit it was easily shaving the hairs from arm! Can it still be shave ready... I am a small man with a small face, this one scares me.. do I dare to try a real shave to see if its till shave ready? Can somebode help me to identify and date it? Looks like sheffield V.R 1830 something.. maybe it should go to a real collector instead of my small modern collection that only has Eskilstuna razors. I am not so much into Sheffields even if they are very nice and important piece of history.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Also help me to ID this one, it was found in the same spot. Pressed horn handles and metal inlay in scales. Very nice blade that needs a cleaning. This one is not shave ready :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
If they were mine you have to pry them from my cold, dead and very stiff fingers.

Jim

My oldies: I had to build new scales for the Sheppard and it shaves nicely for what it is. The black handled John barber has a small section missing on the back scale at the wedge end, split at pin and is missing about a 1/4". The Blonde horn/tortoise John Barber had to be unpinned and extensive damage repair on rear scale using CA with multiple applications. Most folks would have pitched the scales, but I just couldn't. They're stable and very useable now. I shaved with it yesterday, man it was NOT comfortable but it did shave and was able to do a second pass with my Red Imp for a nice shave. Of course there's the Wade and Butcher I redid and a Wostenholm I cleaned up and put in bone scales. Th little Torrey is an awesome little thing. Box is in very good condition as is the razor itself and the comb attachment.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Here's my oldest razor, it's a stubtail circa 1800.
This is the only pic I have handy - it showcases the scenery better than the razor, but you get the idea...

Attachments

• $old_stubtail.jpg
    $old_stubtail.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 488
Top Bottom