What's new

Who rides a motorcycle?

The subject of wrecks is one that every single person that knows I ride continually brings up. My mother in particular. And I'm 41.
If there weren't people like that, I guess we'd all be on a bike, eh?

That's funny, my mom always wants to ride my bike whenever I'm home. She couldn't finish the MSF class, so she settles for hopping on the back while I'm driving. The look I get from all the other riders on the road while I've a 50+ y/o woman on my back decked out in pink harley gear is worth the price of admission. :scooter:

Question: How do bike riders prepare for the new danger on the roads called 'texting drivers'. The last 4 MC accidents I have worked (with one death) have all involved texting drivers.

I don't change anything. I ALWAYS ASSUME that NOBODY else on the road sees me at all. I ride like I am completely invisible.

2010 triumph speedmaster. got it new, and yes, got a bit adventurous before I knew what I was doing and the tires were broken in. Ended up on my side with a busted shoulder and 3 broken ribs. The bike, just a small scratch on the side if the tank on the triumph badge...can't be seen, but can be felt.

Just completed the MSF IRC last weekend, so should be legit in a few weeks.

That's awesome!
That's funny, my mom always wants to ride my bike whenever I'm home. She couldn't finish the MSF class, so she settles for hopping on the back while I'm driving. The look I get from all the other riders on the road while I've a 50+ y/o woman on my back decked out in pink harley gear is worth the price of admission. :scooter:

I've ridden motorcycles all my life (since I was 14 - a looooooong time ago!). Now I have an '06 Harley Sportster Custom 1200 - Here's my youngest taking it for a spin.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Question: How do bike riders prepare for the new danger on the roads called 'texting drivers'. The last 4 MC accidents I have worked (with one death) have all involved texting drivers. One driver even tried to lie about it until I found her phone in the floor board of her SUV with the unfinished written message on it. Another, kept insisting he wasn't texting until I subpoenaed his phone records and found that he was 'reading' a text at the time. He still defended himself to the judge saying "he wasn't texting".
Like Sawblade said, assume they all want to kill you. As to distracted drivers, we really need to start punishing people. Talk or text while driving- $200 fine plus the night in jail, minimum. Until we start locking idiots up, they will keep being idiots.

I've ridden motorcycles all my life (since I was 14 - a looooooong time ago!). Now I have an '06 Harley Sportster Custom 1200 - Here's my youngest taking it for a spin.

Yea brotha! Sportsters RULE.

Attachments

• $IMG_0491.jpg
    $IMG_0491.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 92

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yea brotha! Sportsters RULE.
Except when people tell me I have a nice Sportser (I don't, it is a Super Glide). Here's a hint, people- my chain is on the correct (left) side of the bike, and the engine does not share a case with the transmission. Note, this is not aimed at anyone here, just the general HD owner who wears nothing but HD clothing (including underoos, I suspect) and rides 20 miles a week. You know, the ones who buy a HD so they can have some butt jewelry, and invite the neighbors over so they can look at it in the garage. The Goldwing crowd is funner :001_smile

Question about the sportsters; I've heard a lot of guys change up their suspension a bit. Have you done any such tweaking?

Nope.

I don't mind the hard suspension and laughable 2 inches of travel, but I'm still in good shape. I would NOT want to ride my bike with any kind of back problem or neck issues.

But a lot of people do change their suspension. A great resource for questions like that is www.xlforum.com.

Except when people tell me I have a nice Sportser (I don't, it is a Super Glide). Here's a hint, people- my chain is on the correct (left) side of the bike, and the engine does not share a case with the transmission. Note, this pis not aimed at anyone here, just the general HD owner who wears nothing but HD clothing (including underoos, I suspect) and rides 20 miles a week. You know, the ones who buy a HD so they can have some butt jewelry, and invite the neighbors over so they can look at it in the garage. The Goldwing crowd is funner :001_smile

And that is part of the reason I bought a ducati, people see it and say nice ducati and they don't try to comment on what model it is, simply the fact that it's a ducati. Plus its kinda hard to lean at all on a Harley.

I drive a Vespa in my possession. A vespa pxe, 1984

$22062010.jpg
When there is any gathering, driving a rare wasp of my uncle
A Vespa super sprint 50 of 1968

$IMG_1283.jpg$IMG_1269.jpg$IMG_1273.jpg

ciao!

Yesterday a pickup truck was waiting to pull out into traffic. The guy saw me and started pulling out. I had to slam on my brakes. He made direct eye contact with me while I was braking and continued to pull out in front of me anyway. Why not? He's in a truck, I'm the one who will be hurt in an accident, he'll barely notice.

It was hard not to follow him to his destination and beat him with a wrench.

I haven't been riding lately, but I just put a new chain and sprockets on my '03 Kawasaki EX500 so I should be starting back up again. There'll be a dual-sport of some kind in my near future as well, not right now though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And that is part of the reason I bought a ducati, people see it and say nice ducati and they don't try to comment on what model it is, simply the fact that it's a ducati. Plus its kinda hard to lean at all on a Harley.
Maybe on a dresser, but not on my supergide (which has extraneous things like blinkers removed). As to Ducatis, I have always liked them

Superglides are very nice, I rented one for a trip to the beach once, girlfriend said it was way too comfortable to be bike. The half helmet thing was nice till we came upon some construction and got sand kicked up in our faces, after that it's back to the full face helmets for me. I'm looking into a new helmet and leaning towards an arai right now but still contemplating a shoei or nexx helmet. Any opinions from anyone on a full face helmet?

Top Bottom