What's new

Who rides a motorcycle?

Superglides are very nice, I rented one for a trip to the beach once, girlfriend said it was way too comfortable to be bike. The half helmet thing was nice till we came upon some construction and got sand kicked up in our faces, after that it's back to the full face helmets for me. I'm looking into a new helmet and leaning towards an arai right now but still contemplating a shoei or nexx helmet. Any opinions from anyone on a full face helmet?

I've had several Arai's, a Suomy,Bell's and my current OGK FF5. of all of those I like the OGK best, it's the lightest and fits my head the best. It's a tad expensive but I love how much air flows through this helmet. I've read some good things about the latest from HJC. Alot of people like them and they cost no where near what the OGK, the Arai, etc. due.

Chris

I'd say it depends on your noggin. Arai andd Bell helmets fit differently, but hard to top either one. HJC's and Bell's fit people with big round heads (like me). Arai are more slender inho.

most people I encounter don't know sportster from electraglide anyway, and they think anything that isn't covered in plastic fairing is a harley anyhow.

most people I encounter don't know sportster from electraglide anyway, and they think anything that isn't covered in plastic fairing is a harley anyhow.

I once had a guy with a 'luggage-covered' Honda 750 tell me he thought my "little motorcycle" (Sportster 1200) was "cute". I just smiled and rode away.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Superglides are very nice, I rented one for a trip to the beach once, girlfriend said it was way too comfortable to be bike. The half helmet thing was nice till we came upon some construction and got sand kicked up in our faces, after that it's back to the full face helmets for me. I'm looking into a new helmet and leaning towards an arai right now but still contemplating a shoei or nexx helmet. Any opinions from anyone on a full face helmet?
I cannot do full face helmets. I will put one on, and even before I strap it up I have to take it off. Were I to buy one, however, I would pay a little extra and get a carbon fiber one. The reduced weight will be easier on your neck.

I ride a 2004 Hayabusa, I have a ‘02 also, but it is in several boxes in the garage thanks to a ’04 Mustang and a 22 year old college student. And much like Paco and his ZX14 don’t let them tell you the Busa won’t handle either, even with a fat guy on them, they’ll get the job done. $Turn 9 at Puttnam.jpg

Any opinions from anyone on a full face helmet?

I wear a shoei. An RF1100 in safety orange. I was wearing a shoei when I crashed and hit the pavement with my face two years ago. I rode home with no injuries, just a two day headache. I'm pretty loyal to shoei, and the rf-1100 I wear now is pretty nice, though all I've ever had were this and my previous helmet, both shoeis, for what it's worth.

I have managed to land on and or skid across a couple Shoei’s, and managed to come away with nothing more than a miner headache, and a need for a new helmet. I had a RF- 900 on when I took the trip over the hood and A-Pillar of the Mustang, the helmet suffered a bit of damage, the back of my head was the first part of me to hit the pavement. And I was wearing a RF-1000 when I low sided the “Bus Stop” (turn 7) at Putnam Park, that helmet was ground down on probably 60 or 70% of its surface. So it’s safe to say that on at least 2 occasions Shoei has saved my head and face, if not life, so I’m a little partial to them also.

Now these are SWEET! i've wanted to get my hands on one of these!

the first is put back on the market by Piaggio or by LML with similar model...
the second model is very scarce.
the vespa super sprint 50(red) was only sold outside Italy for the traffic laws
the vespa super sprint 90(blue) was sold in 5309 copies and has been the icon of an entire generation of super sports scooter

I cannot do full face helmets. I will put one on, and even before I strap it up I have to take it off. Were I to buy one, however, I would pay a little extra and get a carbon fiber one. The reduced weight will be easier on your neck.

As far as I know, only Arai offers a genuine carbon fiber helment, and it's loud and not "a little extra", it's $4,000 :blink:

See inset for picture. I ride a 1996 HD 883 Hugger (Sportster). Still looks good. Always garaged and only 13k miles on it.

I currently have an HJC AC-12 carbon but I'm looking more and more into the shoei x12 with the neon yellow design or the ducati arai helmets. Both fit my head perfectly so it's a matter of styling deferences now.

Meet Black Bess, my 2005 Triumph Thruxton:
$Thruxton.jpg

(No, that's not my house in the background!)

This was back in Corsica in October 2010, waiting in Bastia to board the ferry back to Marseille:
$Bastia.JPG

And here's a photo I took a month ago for my blog:
$DSC_0197.jpg

Don't be fooled by the bike's weatherbeaten air: she's a good 'un! It's just that it's my only vehicle and it gets used every day. Almost eight years old and 115,000 km on the clock. And anyway, all the bumps, dents and scratches tell a story; and I'm always a bit wary of a bike that's too clean and shiny after eight years of ownership...

For those interested, heres a list of modifications:
ASV brake and clutch levers
Headlamp protector grille (can eventually be used as an emergency one-man barbecue)
Triumph "TOR" carb kit
Norman Hyde exhausts
Seat unit from a '70s "Norvil Racer" Norton Commando
Nology spark plug leads
Scottoiler
Passenger footpeg eliminator kit

Top Bottom