What's new

Which do you prefer, an aggressive or a mild razor?

Either work for me and to be honest from the razors I have its hard for me to tell the difference. I get a closer shave with the supposed to be "mild" Schick Krona then the supposed to be "aggressive" Schick Injector Type E.

For me, what I'm looking for in a razor is a 3-pass BBS with no or minimal irritation. The best combo for me for that has been a Slim set on 2 with a Feather blade. I've tried more aggressive razors, and with them I still need 3 passes but get more weepers and irritation. No question, mild for me. My most aggro razor now is a fat handle Tech.

So more exposure = more aggressive. Is it because of how the blade flexes with more exposure?

Not exactly. I'm no expert but on a mild razor the guard only allows a little blade to protrude so it is more difficult to cut yourself or cut whiskers. You have to hold it at a precise angle. With more blade sticking out you can cut deeper.
This is not to say you can't get a close efficient shave from a mild razor. I get some very nice close shaves from a Merkur Open Comb like the model 15c which many guys feel is the mildest razor around. That's why you have to try a razor to know how it will cut for you.

I prefer aggressive over mild razors. I use open comb razors for the most part. Old Types and NEWs. That being said, tomorrow I will probably use a Gillette Tech to clean up after my second attempt at using a straight razor. I guess I like all kinds of razors and like the variety. But if I had to choose, aggressive open combs it is.

Slightly aggressive (R41 or slant) when I have the time. But if I'm in a hurry... like most weekday mornings, something mild (Edwin Jagger). Although my Rockwell 6s has been the only razor I reach for recently. A 6 plate with a Feather is (for me) just as close as a R41, but with none of the nicks or rawness afterwards.

Top Bottom