What's new

Which do you prefer, an aggressive or a mild razor?

A lot of guys prefer their razors to be on the aggressive side like the Muhle R41 and still a lot of guys prefer their razors to be on the mild side like the Edwin Jagger DE89. Which type do you prefer and why?

I prefer it on the aggressive side. I don’t have a heavy beard but I just like the feel of the blade moving across my face.

I like mid range razors as their a happy medium between mild and aggressive. Mild are not enough and aggressive are too much.

I like the Edwin Jagger DE89 have used it for over 4 yrs. So I would say less aggressive. this year i have been testing vintage Gillette's like the 1953 40s Style Super Speed, 1957 Flare Tip Super Speed, 1955 Toggle and my face is not liking the testing of new razors.

Last edited:
I like the mildest razor that will give me a great shave. I don't feel that I need to be tougher on my skin than necessary..

Feather with Feather blade. Mild as can be. One pass wth minor touch ups is bbs/dfs for me. Zero irritation.

I've never quite understood folks wanting more aggressive razors. I just put it down as a YMMV thing. I've fooled with cranking up my Gillette Slim, but it takes multiple passes to get as good a shave as I get with one pass of the Feather.

Mild, very efficient, works for me.

Mark

This may sound egotistical, but my technique is good enough that I can appreciate either aggressive or mild. I enjoy a Timeless with a 95mm blade gap, a Wunderbar, or a Feather AS D2. This has taken a decade of shaving with safety razors and straights, but that is where it is at right now. I pick the one that I'm in the mood for on a given day and seems the past year or two there are only great shaves.

IMG_0190.JPG
Feather Popular or SS razor? and Feather Black or yellow blades? Thanks

There's no difference between the colors other than region they are marketed to, and number of blades per pack. There's actually a blue package for South America.

The razor is a Feather No.1, from probably the 1950's. Got it from a member in Japan. eBay research shows they moved to designations of No.100-1, No.100-2 in early 1960's. I do want to get an as-d2 someday to see how they compare.

Mark

I seem to like both and everything in between. It just depends on my mood as to which I want to use on a given day.

I like a mild razor - EJ de86 - with sharp blades like Nacet, Personna med preps, & Polsilver. The forgiving nature of the razor doesn't allow for much angle adjustment without the blade coming off your skin so you don't have as much chance of hacking yourself. Paired with a sharp blade it's a great way to a smooth, close, and comfortable shave.

Don't know where to put it, but my 1948 Gillette Aristocrat (TTO) can't be beat. I guess it's mid-range. I load it with either a Wilki (German) or Gillette Platinum Plus and just let it perform! Also like my EJ Long Handle (3 piece) and I classify that as pretty mild and gives a great shave. My 1960 Gillette Super Slim Flare (TTO) seems mid also. I guess I'm saying I do NOT like aggressive.

Mikey

Perhaps it's because my technique needs improvement, but I just cannot get a close shave without an aggressive razor. I can't get a good shave with any vintage Gillette, including Old Styles, News, Red Tips or Slims set at 9. The vintage Le Coq cage comb gives me a good shave, as well as several modern DEs, including the Charcoal Level 3, PAA DOC Evolution stainless, Muhle R41 2011 and Ikon Shavecraft Tech, as well as a few others. My goal is a very close, long-lasting shave, and aggressives are the only answer for me.

I use both and like both
My most aggressive razors are my Wizamet W-11 Adjustable, Ideal Adjustable (Gillette Super clone), Rapira 3-Piece (Gillette Tech clone) and believe it or not my Micro Touch One
I can use any of these razors very easily with a mild blade like a Shark or with caution with a more aggressive blade like a Bic Chrome Platinum.

My medium/mildest razors are my Windrose D-9 Chunky and SP-4 Handles with Generic Scalloped Safety Bar Heads, Acevivi Dual Comb, Saiver Compact Travel and Weishi 9306CEL
These are at their best with an aggressive blade like a Bic Chrome Platinum, and very docile, yet efficient with a Shark blade

I can use any of my razors with any of my blades - the different characteristics of each combination is half the fun of DE shaving, but my favourite is still on the medium side - my D-9 Chunky with a brand new Zaza Supreme Stainless blade

Top Bottom