What's new

What's my upgrade path?

I think I'm going with a open 84.

Italian Barbers site is confusing me though. It says Head+Handle, is the base separate or included? Further down the base is listed separately and don't know if that's if you want to try aforementioned base with an existing setup or if it's a separate purchase

Thats
I think I'm going with a open 84.

Italian Barbers site is confusing me though. It says Head+Handle, is the base separate or included? Further down the base is listed separately and don't know if that's if you want to try aforementioned base with an existing setup or if it's a separate purchase
Hey Mate, so they give you options. The ones that mention head plus handle are for both and you can choose which handle you want like the head and Bulldog handle etc. But the head alone mentioned is only for that. There is a price difference. If you buy the head and then a handle separately then it will cost you more but if you buy head plus handle it works out much cheaper and is normally the way to go. The Razorock handles are grippy and very reliable except for the Halo which is kinda smooth.

I haven't used the GC .84 open but I do love their Gc .84 SB and the Lupo .95. Hope you have some great shaves with teh Razor you've chosen. Razorock are always top notch for quality and value.

Thats

Hey Mate, so they give you options. The ones that mention head plus handle are for both and you can choose which handle you want like the head and Bulldog handle etc. But the head alone mentioned is only for that. There is a price difference. If you buy the head and then a handle separately then it will cost you more but if you buy head plus handle it works out much cheaper and is normally the way to go. The Razorock handles are grippy and very reliable except for the Halo which is kinda smooth.

I haven't used the GC .84 open but I do love their Gc .84 SB and the Lupo .95. Hope you have some great shaves with teh Razor you've chosen. Razorock are always top notch for quality and value.
Thanks but to be clear, is the head considered the cap and base?

I'm still green when it comes to this world. Google images just shows the parts labeled individually

Thanks but to be clear, is the head considered the cap and base?

I'm still green when it comes to this world. Google images just shows the parts labeled individually
Full razor.png
The Above if you select any one will give you the full Razor with your choice of Handle.

Top Cap and Head.png

The second image will help you select only top cap and only base plate but as I can see, the top cap is out of stock.

My suggestion is just click on the head plus handle options and they will show you how the razor you selected looks. as well as the price for it. If you want a standard handle, choose the Bulldog or the HD, If you want it extra grippy then choose the Super knurled, If you want a Classic looking handle then choose the Barber Pole, If you want a funky handle then go in for the UFO. but yeah, go in for the head plus handle.

To answer your question again, Italian Barber sells the Premium Razorock Razors top cap and base plate separately, not together as a head and most often the top cap is out of stock. So get the whole Razor buddy.

Appreciate everyone's input and valuable opinions. In the end I was between the Lupo and GC.

Reached out to Italian Barber (got Michael the CEO, super friendly and responsive ) and some of his input. Ultimately I ended up choosing the SS Lupo 72 OC and will hopefully be here this week if not early next week.

Really looking forward to it.

Thanks again to all who joined in the thread.

I'd like to thank the Academy (B&B members who contributed in this thread) and the Director (Michael from Italian Barbershop).

I got the Lupo 72 Open Knurl earlier this week, super fast delivery and customer service. Today I got to finally try it out tonight.

First, IB's site says that there may be l imperfections, none that will affect the quality of shave and that they go for tolerance over visuals because it's a tool not a fashion accessory.
Mine doesn't have any apparent cosmetic issues but can absolutely attest to the quality. While my Merkur wasn't built bad, it's a Timex while the Lupo is a Rolex. There are no exposed blade sections for example. This thing is a beast though when it comes to weight. It weighs a chunk and a half.

Next there is the reputation that the GC 84 and Lupo 72 have. Maybe head shaving is drastically different from face but I can say with certainty, it's not as scary as people make it out to be, at least to me. I was careful but it didn't bite me even once. With aforementioned weight, just make sure you have your technique/glide down without pressing.

The shave is/was exceptional. I knew what Efficiency was but couldn't picture it until I used my Lupo. Single pass against is almost all that's needed. Incredibly close and smooth, it's what I expected all along. It glides nicely and doesn't catch. I can get super close without accidental knicks.
One definte difference is feedback. The Merkur had notable audible and tactile feedback but that may have been the lack of clean cuts/efficacy. So not a negative, just an observation.
Lather gathers nicely but doesn't clog and rinses nicely.

Ergonomics are hard to judge. (Let's the phallus jokes out now. WE GOOD?) Moving along. The handle is hard to tell I don't have a problem with it but it's fatter, heavier, and shorter than the Merkur. As mentioned it contours amazingly despite that. The cap is very steep(?)/shallow so you can get the perfect angle. The grip of the Knurl is super, didn't think it would slip once.

Result, my head is smooth as can be. No irritation (maybe less than even the Merkur). No cuts, bumps or bleeding. I couldn't be happier. My old Razor will have a nostalgic place in my heart but this is the new king.

A final note/possible observation. ItalianBarber and RazoRock are the same company. CEOs signature covers both companies. I don't know the behind the scenes logistics but both are run by the same guy.
Possible observation; These seem to be made in limited batches. A few I looked at were and had been sold out for weeks. I just so happened to come across the Lupo 72 Open Knurl, they had it in stock, I didn't hesitate. Order confirmed, was now out of stock. So if you see a model you want, I wouldn't wait too long.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer based on what I know. I'm only a 1.5month DE shaver, definitely not technique perfect but feel comfortable and confident in my work so far.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Your journey is just beginning! There might be no ascension at the end, but it will probably be fun.

Razorock/IB being run by the same people is not news, that some people find the GC .84 to be already too much while I still find it rather very mild, that is also known. It is even worse for razor blades, there are people who love to use blades I rank in the absolute garbage bin, while they absolutely detest the BICs I frequently use.

YMMV is absolutely a thing here.

The CEO of RazoRock also has quite some reports where he was quite the opposite. An Australian user got a razor with a very ugly huge scratch on the cap, he got no support and love. Because their razors aren't jewelry can go many ways.

Their razors are made in batches and if they run out, don't be triggered by FOMO too much. Even the Wunderbar got made again after it was phased out for the Superslant. Getting a stainless steel razor when one wants to buy a particular model is indeed not always guaranteed for most makers. Many operate with waitlists or let people wait for months.

I personally love the Super Knurl handle, but it is spiky, hold it tight and you experience martyrdom light. That would go well with your user pic! :)

The im company situation may be known here but top Google results don't give a definitive answer so I wanted to just document incase someone else runs into which Vendor they know.

As for the the razors, again, you might know but top results talk about them being aggressive. I don't think they(lupo, don't have a GC) is aggressive either but again it is documentation if anyone else comes across this thread.

YMMV seems to be the case. As mentioned I had an excellent experience. I don't know the story behind the Aussie so I can't comment, only my experience.

You're right about FOMO (I hate that abbreviation, don't know why) is valid but at the same time, you could be waiting months/forever depending on the model so I stand by pull the trigger if you know you want it.

Lastly about the super knurl, that again may be personal preference. I don't think it's spikey at all. Could be my batch, could be my hands. It's grippy, but not at all dangerous feeling. I'd say if one has a death grip on their, razor you aren't comfortable with your technique and shouldn't be using something like this in the first place, just my opinion.

But anyway, all that aside, I'm very happy with the razor. I'm starting to get that curiosity itch I've been reading about though. Might order a 95 or 120 base. Don't know why but Jimminy Cricket has left the building and isn't telling me not to.

Top Bottom