What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (SS)
BladeTreet Dura Sharp [5]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreThayer’s Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherCatie’s Bubbles ’95 Liquid Labels (Sample) [5]
PostClubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
-

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Tuesday, May 7th 2024

Razor : Yaqi 2n Gen Mellon head 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle. Mfg 2023>, mid range. Excellent machining and finish QC for my shaving needs. This little razor head has not let me down for performance and is one of the better razors I have ever owned. Why Mr Mellon never pushed this head up to this this aggression is beyond me back in the 1940's, he would of been a huge success story, he just wanted mild razors for what ever reason and did not offer more variant ranges of aggression.
Had a excellent close comfortable stellar shave once again.
Blade : Personna red(3) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity.
Soap : Speick stick, very enjoyable mild spicy scented hard soap with some of the best lather qualities i have used over the last 7 years. Excellence at its best and affordable also to most folks IMO.
Brush : Yaqi "Red stripped Zebra" 26mm snow leopard knot. Excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. Does not get much better for my shaving needs, 26mm synthetics rock!
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ach Brito Lavanda cologne aftershave splash + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning with my Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon head with a Personna red blade. (Does not much better for myself.)
SOTD May 7 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Tuesday Morning Whisker Mayhem

Rating: 9.75/10 Pretty Nice

Not bad for a two pass and some clean up. Took the hard puck to my face like a shave stick and then
the long handle Boar did the trick.

Valet AutoStrop VC1 Razor
GEM PTFE Blade (4X) - Modified
Abbate Y La Mantia Blue Tobacco Hard Soap
Long Handle Boar Brush
Citrus Musk Splash On

Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave

IMG_0561-compressed.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Henson + (Mild) V2
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Sandalwood
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Shaving Dish
Brush: Maggard's Dark Blue Handle AP Shave Co 24mm Titanium Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 A comfortable efficient 3 pass BBS shave with no touch ups, weepers, cuts or irritation. I noticed I was using pressure under my chin, so hit that area with an Alum Stick for prevention. A very good shave!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Hawkins & Brimble Face Wash
- Sukin Facial Scrub
- Truefitt & Hill Highgrove Pre-shave Oil
- TFS Mastro Miche 24-11 Shaving Soap

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Sukin Blemish Pore Perfecting Toner
- The Ordinary Skin Serum
- L'Occitane Eau des Baux After-Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Steve Woodhead Pottery Suribachi Lather Scuttle
- FaTip Piccolo Gentile
- Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (2)
- Omega Pro 108

Fragrance for the day
- Essens Beauty version of Creed Viking EDP

Rating: 8/10
My second shave with the Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade and I'm still leaning towards favouring the Indian version.

full

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: AP ShaveCo Ruby G5B knot
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: RazoRock Caribbean Holiday⛵🌴

Pre shave: Kyle's Routine, Stirling Coconut Lime stick 🌴🥥
Aftershave: RazoRock Caribbean Holiday⛵🌴

---
Excellent shave, not an issue to be had.
Pre shave, nice
Brush, outstanding
Lather, couldn't have been better
Razor/blade, excellent
AS, delightful

---
2.5 pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG
Rating: 10/10 BBS

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Pre-shave • King C. Gillette Face Wash

Soap • Proraso Green

Bowl • CaYuen (Large)

Brush • ESC Ultimate Handle with a Shavemac Two-band Silvertip, reknotted by Rudy Vey

Razor • 1955 Gillette Red Tip

Blade • Nacet (1)

*Warm Shower*

Aftershave • Thayers Unscented with Old Spice

Eye Gel • Neutrogena Hydro Boost

The '55 Red Tip/Nacet combo turned in another great performance this morning. No weepers or irritation. Thanks again to Kim @Phoenixkh for sending me this brush.

10/10.

I have a date this afternoon, so I'm glad this shave went well. ;)

Have a blessed day, friends.

Now Playing •

May 7, 2024 Tuesday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Soap: Razorock XXX
Brush: AP Shave Co. G5A
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

This was another stellar shave with the Overlander and Personna Lab Blue. No drama, no irritation.
Today was the first use of the Razorock XXX soap. It performs very well and was a bargain at $5 during the recent sale. Lovely soap!

11/10

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 05_07_24.jpg

20230731_090602.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze SB .38
Blade: Pol Silver Super Iridium
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Long Rifle Brown Bess Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten

Today's shave:
Razor:
Weishi 9306 Long Handle
Blade: Astra SP #3
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce 26mm plissoft
Soap: Razorock XXX Italian Soft Shaving Soap (new tub, first use)
Result: Excellent 2+ pass 10/10 shave. Shave was BBS

First shave with a new tub of Razorock (R.R.) XXX soft Italian shaving soap purchased for $4.99 U.S. (regular price $9.99) during Italian Barber's (IB) recent sale. One goal is to compare this soap to my R.R. P.160, purchased last fall and Classic Italian soft shaving soap also purchased during this sale.

I washed my face for pre-shave and then scooped roughly an almond sized amount of the XXX into my 4" stainless lathering bowl. Next the soap was then spread across the bottom of the bowl using a finger. Using a damp brush I proceeded to build lather adding small amounts of water multiple times. The XXX was nice and soft similar to the Classic Italian. These have an identical lot number indicating production in September of last year (My P.160 indicates the middle of 2022 so about a year older also in my earlier post regarding the Classic Italian I reported a July'23 date that was in error, it is a Sept.'23 date). As previously reported the P.160 has dried out a bit and has a fairly weak scent.

The main difference between the XXX and Classic Italian is the addition of tallow as the 6th ingredient and it's scent. The scent, to me a mix of citrus and earthy aromas, is a little sharp right out of the container. Unlike many soaps, where you can't sense the scent in the lather, this initial sharp aroma becomes a pleasantly mild scent in the lather that stays with you throughout the shave - nicely done IB.

The lather was nice and creamy, highly stable and very slick providing an excellent shave. While this has some tallow I could not detect any appreciable difference between this lather and that of my IB P.160 (no surprise, same base) and Classic Italian soaps. Same for my TFS "Red Bowl" that I've also compared this too. Overall these are all excellent soap with similar excellent core shaving performance. The main reason to choose the XXX over Classic Italian is for the scent. At $4.99 vs. $3.99 on sale it's well worth the extra dollar for this reason alone for those who enjoy it's aroma. Either of these soaps are excellent values.

Compared to my other soaps, like tallow based MFW, the lather is somewhat lighter though just as effective in providing slickness for a great shave. The key to all these soft Italian soaps is to ensure that you load enough product. I've found that scooping out a portion for each shave is the best way to do this. The softest/freshest of these soaps can be either bowl of face lathered (press scooped soap on your face or into the brush) while the harder P.160 has to be bowl lathered.

Overall this was an excellent shave. I look forward to using this soap as part of my rotation.

Link below to my thread comparing this to other soft Italian shaving soaps:

Last edited:
Top Bottom