What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Thursday, April 25, 2024

Hardware
RazorRazoRock Game Changer 0.68P
BladeDerby Extra [6]
BrushOmega 10049

Software
PreThayer's Lavender
Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherClubman Shave Soap [10]
PostGabel's Bay Rum

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
Gabel's Bay Rum is quite nice — easy application and a light, clean bay scent. I find many bay rums to be overly aggressive (on alcohol, bay oil or a combination of the two), but that's not at all the case with Gabel's. Definitely a keeper.

Thursday’s shave……
Gillette made in England red tip
Omega Jade boar
HWF lanolin soap
7 OC yellow blade
I’m re running a few of my Vintage April shaves over the next few days to pick an overall winner. It could well be this .
A fantastic 2 passes only leaving me smooth as can be. No nicks , weepers or irritation. This razor and blade pairing is quite exceptional IMO. 10/10
IMG_7028.jpeg

My morning shave started off with a wash using Dead Sea Mud soap as usual. The specific brand I love is no longer available - I have one unopened bar left. Thankfully it is very hard soap and lasts a long, long time.
1714058125458.png

Lathered up some A&E Amber Rose with my ancient Kent BK8 SilverTip badger brush and had a wonderful shave with the Nodachi OC - Thank you so much @T Bone for the OC plate! This is shave #7 on the Russian King C Gillette blade and the blade shows no signs of slowing down. Sad that these Russian KCG blades are now made in China.

Post shave moisturize with HA serum and seal it in with Emu Oil! It soaks in quickly and doesn't leave any greasy feeling at all, just really healthy feeling skin! Topped it off with the Amber Rose splash and I'm off to a great start to the day!
1714057939754.png

April 25, 2024 Thursday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, aluminum :001_wub:
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Soap: Razorock New York
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Nor'easter

All the items listed above worked synergistically to produce a fabulous shave.
Super close, super smooth. No weepers, etc. and no irritation. The second use of the Lab Blue was excellent.
It doesn't get any better than this!

10/10

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 04_25_24.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20240422
Razor: Israeli Pleese Amcor (Shield Polished Ti Handle)
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (5 shaves, 18 passes)

Tuesday 20240423
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (6 shaves, 20 passes)

Wednesday 20240424
Blade: Personna Israeli Platinum Red (7 shaves, 22 passes)
20240421_184449~2.jpg
20240421_183956~2.jpg

Brush: AP Shave Co Jade (AP Shave Co 26mm Synbad Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Rustic Blackbeard
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Special Reserve

Excellent 2-pass shaves.

Additional notes are in My Journal.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, April 25th 2024

Razor : Yaqi "Top aggressive slant"- Mfg 2019>, upper mid to aggressive range or lots of blade feel. I always like to use this razor to test my hand technique, I like to use a steep angle(riding the bar) with a short handle seems to work the best with this slant.
I also try not to plunk it down at the start of a stroke(it will bite if careless), the razor is not perfect but it's a excellent razor once it is mastered. Fresh blade with a shim underneath and it will sing & deliver some stellar excellent shaving. Had a close shave this morning with no issues.
Blade : Gillette Perma-sharp (3) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap :TOBS Sandalwood cream, rich herbal sandalwood scented soap with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Coat tails" 24 mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, pillow cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. For a Synthetic it feels close to a 2band badger IMO.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso red sandalwood with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi TGA slant razor with a Gillette Perma-sharp blade.
SOTD April 25 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Brush Shavemac silvertip two band Beagle
Soap Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge made by Valobra
Razor Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / Alpha Shave Works Super Leggero 14 mm x 80 mm @ 20 grams custom handle
Blade Gillette Super Stainless The Spoiler F4 Unsure of the date 1985 maybe made in the USA (11)
splash Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
Frag Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

DFS+ 9.7 a couple weepers on my neck from being over zealous with my XTG pass on the whorls. Otherwise great shave with nominal drama. The Beagle surprised me a bit. It was unlike either my 2020 RV Shaving Shavemac two band silvertip Contributors Brush or my new Shavemac DO1 two band silvertip a bit scritchy. Not bad, just surprising. I'm sure it will settle down with time. I love Oxford & Cambridge and my lather today was spectacular. Best I have had with that soap. It helps that I now have the full size thanks to @TheLegalRazor for his generous PIF. I had it before, but, in the annoying travel size. I was thankful for it as the three pack was from my very first PIF in 2017. I ended up purchasing the travel container since the individual soaps were so small. That did help and I have always loved the scent. None the less the full size soap in a apothecary mug is much better, and, less messy. The spoiler4 is still going strog at 11. The only other time I used a spoiler I changed it out not because of lack of sharpness or degradation, but, because I dropped it on the floor. I haven't done any of my usual flipping flippery. In fact today is the first time I took it out of the razor because I want to save the Super Leggero for my ATT X1. Both my GTB from Doug and my WR2 are filmy with hard water and soap. I usually post pics from when items were new from embarrassment.

Date25.04.2024
366 daily shaves
116/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW ImprovedKCG China (6)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (98)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small redness)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS-)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Much better shave than yesterday with all favourite gear. I could shave daily with this one and be perfectly happy.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Razor: 61 Fatboy G3
Blade: Perma-Sharp
Brush: Chisel & Hound
Soap: Summer Break Trouble Maker
Splash: Summer Break Trouble Maker

This Fatboy is the one that sent me down the vintage rabbit hole and is the 3rd razor I owned. I figured the soap and splash were perfect for the trouble making this razor has made my bank account!

Rate 9/10
IMG_0492.jpeg

Top Bottom