What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

8.5 out of 10
20240419_121606_resizedc.jpg

Razor: Feather
Blade: Feather Sputtom
Brush: Rudy Vey 22mm Shavematic two band badger, bulb, Box Elder wood handle
Cream: Wm. Neumann & Co. Old-Fashioned Soda
Aftershave balm: Ethos Succes

Afternoon, last night's shave:

Razor: '28 Kirby
Blade: Vidyut Supermax (2)
Pre: Hot Water
Soap: Stirling Island Man
Brush: Omega Boar Pro
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

My favorite vintage, felt nearly identical to the shaves I get with the Lupo .58, which is a very good one for me.

9.5/10

Cheers

9/10
After illness, first shave after two days off. Usually, it’s very diffi for me to have through my beard at this point. However, gave my beard the hot towel treatment and turned the Fatboy up to 8 (been at seven). It sounded aggressive but my fave feels just fine.
IMG_0587.jpeg

So, I've been testing blades in my Emperor. One of the blades that was a reject was the Derby Extra. Last time I was trying the DE experience, I had a Maggard MR1 with I suspect the V3 standard head (no marks on the head). I remembered the Derby as being ok.
So, I pulled out the Maggard, and shaved with it this morning. Not as harsh as it is in the Emperor, but not as good as I thought I remembered it. With the Emperor, it was face moisturizer within a minute of the shave. With the Maggard it was mild irritation.

Well, the new Timeless arrived early and I couldn't resist giving it a spin after arriving back home after a week-long trip.

Pre: Nivea face wash
Razor: Timeless Ti 68 SB Matte
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: AP Shave 26mm SilkSmoke Synthetic Bulb
Bowl: Timeless plastic lather bowl
Aftershave: Burts Bees Witch Hazel & Aloe followed by Stirling unscented balm

Such a fantastic shave. It's my first run with this razor so I will resist gushing too much, but I was honestly blown away by how intuitive it was to find a good angle. The shave was extremely smooth, and the efficiency was much better than I expected (easily smoother than any razor I have used to date, with efficiency approximating and probably exceeding my GC .84 SB). I did a two-pass; WTG and XTG on the face, and WTG and ATG (because I was feeling bold) on my neck. The end result was DFS on both (and close to BBS on my face). I did have an issue which likely impacted the overall experience: I had a tough time building the lather I wanted with the AP brush and the Stirling SDM soap. The brush is new to me. My go-to is a RazoRock Plissoft with 24mm knot, and the AP SilkSmoke is a different beast. It's as soft as the RR but has noticeably more backbone. I don't have trouble building a good lather using the AP and Speick cream, but this is the first time I have tried it with a soap. I suspect that I just need to spend more time getting to know it. Good times.

Timeless 68 Shave.jpg

Well, the new Timeless arrived early and I couldn't resist giving it a spin after arriving back home after a week-long trip.

Pre: Nivea face wash
Razor: Timeless Ti 68 SB Matte
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: AP Shave 26mm SilkSmoke Synthetic Bulb
Bowl: Timeless plastic lather bowl
Aftershave: Burts Bees Witch Hazel & Aloe followed by Stirling unscented balm

Such a fantastic shave. It's my first run with this razor so I will resist gushing too much, but I was honestly blown away by how intuitive it was to find a good angle. The shave was extremely smooth, and the efficiency was much better than I expected (easily smoother than any razor I have used to date, with efficiency approximating and probably exceeding my GC .84 SB). I did a two-pass; WTG and XTG on the face, and WTG and ATG (because I was feeling bold) on my neck. The end result was DFS on both (and close to BBS on my face). I did have an issue which likely impacted the overall experience: I had a tough time building the lather I wanted with the AP brush and the Stirling SDM soap. The brush is new to me. My go-to is a RazoRock Plissoft with 24mm knot, and the AP SilkSmoke is a different beast. It's as soft as the RR but has noticeably more backbone. I don't have trouble building a good lather using the AP and Speick cream, but this is the first time I have tried it with a soap. I suspect that I just need to spend more time getting to know it. Good times.

View attachment 1832379
PS: In the pic I attached, the end tab is protruding because I did not tighten the handle properly before I took the photo. Rest assured that I remedied this situation before I actually shaved with it and the tolerances are predictably excellent.

9/10

Razor: Razorock GC 0.76 and 1.05
Blade: Derby Extra
Brush: Rudy Vey Custom with Shavemac 3 band knot
Soap and AS: Seaforth from Spearhead

First time taking my new GC with 0.76 and 1.05 plates for a spin, as well as my new Seaforth soap (I have all three others on the way, this just got here first, that little sample pack ended up costing me a lot because I love these scents!).
Used the Derby blade intentionally to try and handicap the razor and challenge myself coming from a Henson, PLUS I had hives/rashes all over my face so my skin was extra sensitive and bumpy, and it STILL delivered a better and much more efficient shave than I had been getting from the Henson. I'm starting to think that my fear of large gaps/carving my face up and any razors others have touted as aggressive is all in my head!

photo_2024-04-20_01-19-39.jpg

Another bright Saturday morning.

Fatip Grande Nichelato + Nacet blade
Yaqi Twist synthetic brush
Stirling Spice
Old Spice (current production red stopper) aftershave

Screenshot from 2024-04-20 09-07-50.png

The Grande seems to get on well with the Nacet, and the brush is great with Stirling soap. The odd shape seems to fit nicely in the hand, but I can't help wondering whether it would be less comfortable for someone who traditionally used their left hand to hold it (I tried, but holding the brush there felt weird anyway, so I couldn't really comment). Or do they do them with a left handed twist?

Stirling Spice + Old Spice. I wasn't going for original thought this morning.

All good stuff. Let's call it a "9".

20th April 2024

Razor: Feather AS-D2 stainless steel razor
Blade: Feather New Hi-Stainless, platinum coated (1)
Brush: Simpson M7 platinum fibre shaving brush (white pearl, 22mm)
Bowl: Captain's Choice original lather bowl (ceramic, gunmetal finish)
Soap: Noble Otter "Neon Sun" shaving soap
Post shave: Noble Otter "Neon Sun" aftershave splash, then Executive Shaving intensive moisturiser

Rating: 6.75/10

I decided to use some of my least favorite shave gear today! The AS-D2 and the M7 specifically. 😁

I've never really got on with the AS-D2.. I find it a bit too mild and too little blade exposure for my preference. I'm not going to knock it, mileage varies of course, but I've came to the conclusion that all considered it's probably just not for me. Yes, I can make it work but others work better for me, I prefer how they perform and ultimately I enjoy using them more.

As for the Simpson M7, I find it too stiff and difficult to splay for my liking. I soaked it in a shave bowl full of warm water prior to shaving this time, I think it helped a little bit. Same as with the AS-D2, yeah I can make the M7 work but I do prefer something like a Muhle STF or even one of the PAA brushes.

I like a relatively soft brush with decent loft, not over dense, with a bit of a floppiness that splays nicely.. honestly, the STF I find pretty much ideal. I have quite a few brushes but I find myself always going for my old trusty medium STF. I'll try persevering with the M7 now and again. I've heard they loosen up over time. Another upside of the Muhle STF. Those are perfect out of the box.

Not a bad shave overall, it certainly got the job done, but I probably would have preferred it with a different razor and brush. 😏

Top Bottom