What's new

What did you hone today?

Another day, another (Gold) Dollar

This has a thinned down spine to improve the bevel angle.
Two step convex coticule to black shadow.
A soft and fine jnat nagura was used. I finshed with ONR as lubrication.

View attachment 1831102
View attachment 1831103
Hey! Awesome pictures JPO. I recently got a black shadow and did a similar honing seccion like yours here but without the jnats just coticule to black shadow. Edge came out screaming sharp. Cheers my friend

Gotta make a new handle for an old copper hammer head i cleaned up. So, 2 spoke shave irons and a small shop knife. Shapton 1k, 4k finished on a semisoft nakayama kiita.

Attachments

• 20240425_170659.jpg
    20240425_170659.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240425_170645.jpg
    20240425_170645.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Helje frameback

My last jnat edge on this blade was a big disappointment, nowhere near sharp enough after it was too sharp off a Naniwa 12k. I took it to the SG 8k and then back to the same Jnat with very light slurry. Much better this time but could still be a touch sharper.
IMG_3950.jpeg

Tula razor chip repair and 10k finish.
The chip was removed with a small EE-fine dmt plate.
Just these two stone/plates was used.
Moving from a hard abrasive surface to a softer surface, combined with some pressure management produces some interesting results.
This is not a traditional compound bevel. One layer of tape was used for all the steps.
The diamonds also cuts deeper at the base then just behind the apex.
I have honed 4 different razor this way, and the results are quite consistent, and the shaves have been greate.
2024-04-27-10-31-13.png

10k edge after 15 strokes.
2024-04-27-11-02-49.png

20240427_110424.jpg

Filli DT 12 en una transexual vintage de 'hielo agrietado'. Piedra recién lapeada con grano 800 WD sobre una placa de superficie de granito. Pulido con aceite para máquinas de coser How was the edge with the Arkansas?

Filli DT 12 en una transexual vintage de 'hielo agrietado'. Piedra recién lapeada con grano 800 WD sobre una placa de superficie de granito. Pulido con aceite para máquinas de coser Singer.

View attachment 1824329

Did a brief touchup on this pretty Ark this morning. Well, less of a touchup and more just an edge change.
View attachment 1828184
Hello. How does the transparency end? Thank you

Tula razor chip repair and 10k finish.
The chip was removed with a small EE-fine dmt plate.
Just these two stone/plates was used.
Moving from a hard abrasive surface to a softer surface, combined with some pressure management produces some interesting results.
This is not a traditional compound bevel. One layer of tape was used for all the steps.
The diamonds also cuts deeper at the base then just behind the apex.
I have honed 4 different razor this way, and the results are quite consistent, and the shaves have been greate.

10k edge after 15 strokes.
I have been following your testing and honing on diamond plates. Night before last, in depths of my boredom I decided to test correcting with a diamond plate, something I have never been comfortable with. I took my gold monkey and slammed it on my desk 3 times and completely destroyed the edge. It was toast. I proceeded to to correcting it on a 320 then a 600 diamond plate. The work on the diamond plates was faster than I anticipated. The 1K work took a bit longer but that was expected. Last night I added a layer of tape and went to a Coti for Dilucot, I followed that with a shave. The shave was good and the the overall experiment was a positive experience. Those who read any of my posts know I am away from home 21 to 28 days at a time. The only synthetic I keep on me at work is a king 1/6, but I do travel with that 320/600 plate. I feel much better now about any serious corrections I need to make with my travel gear. Thanks for planting the seed JPO. Four more days before I go home, as you can see times are desperate, and sleep is in short supply. I will try to stay out of trouble 🤣.

I have been following your testing and honing on diamond plates. Night before last, in depths of my boredom I decided to test correcting with a diamond plate, something I have never been comfortable with. I took my gold monkey and slammed it on my desk 3 times and completely destroyed the edge. It was toast. I proceeded to to correcting it on a 320 then a 600 diamond plate. The work on the diamond plates was faster than I anticipated. The 1K work took a bit longer but that was expected. Last night I added a layer of tape and went to a Coti for Dilucot, I followed that with a shave. The shave was good and the the overall experiment was a positive experience. Those who read any of my posts know I am away from home 21 to 28 days at a time. The only synthetic I keep on me at work is a king 1/6, but I do travel with that 320/600 plate. I feel much better now about any serious corrections I need to make with my travel gear. Thanks for planting the seed JPO. Four more days before I go home, as you can see times are desperate, and sleep is in short supply. I will try to stay out of trouble 🤣.

Lately I’ve been using an Atoma 1200 then on to a Chosera 3K. Very quick and the results are very good.

Yeah, the blade is crooked, and I use electrical type to hone this blade. It's a bountiful blade but it's as crooked as an old politician. Either I live with it or reprofile the blade. I'm not going to risk it due to the Damascus layers. It's a top tier shaver but as many of you know. It comes to the territory with Thiers Issard sometimes.
How it shaves is the only measure that really matters

Top Bottom