What's new

What did you hone today?

I tried a little of experiment this evening on these two coticules on some of my stainless-steel blades. On the larger stone I used soap and water and finished on the smaller Old Rock Coti with running water until the blade started to stick. These blades were cutting hanging hair though the length of both blades. I will use razors though the rest of the week. I'm still trying figure out the larger stone and it feels as smooth as the smaller Old Rock but cuts a little faster.
IMG_20240404_214153405.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I decided to torcher myself today. I dinged my Thiers Issard while looking at edge and slightly glancing a stone. I love this razor but sometimes I think I just look at it and it chips. Well, I took it down to a 6k " the pink synthetic stone" and took my time to erase the small chip. Then I did something I never done. I used my Asaigi whetstone as a Tomo on my super hard Karasu. The results was almost mirrored polished edge, followed after a good linen and leather stropping. The edge is one of the best edges I've personally produced. I guess a curse that became a blessing. Well, I've found my tomo to match this Karasu base stone 🤣
IMG_20240405_213701125.jpg
IMG_20240405_213713253.jpg

Sometimes you just need to remove a little more steel to get to new, solid steel. The old Hart’s were like that and chippy until a bit of edge was removed.

If you reprofile the heel the razor will sit flatter on the stone and be much easier to hone fully. Looks like the heel bevel is narrower and the heel corner is not fully polished, (on the stone).

Nice razor and stones.

IMG_20240405_213713253.jpg

Sometimes you just need to remove a little more steel to get to new, solid steel. The old Hart’s were like that and chippy until a bit of edge was removed.

If you reprofile the heel the razor will sit flatter on the stone and be much easier to hone fully. Looks like the heel bevel is narrower and the heel corner is not fully polished, (on the stone).

Nice razor and stones.

View attachment 1824609
Yeah, the blade is crooked, and I use electrical type to hone this blade. It's a bountiful blade but it's as crooked as an old politician. Either I live with it or reprofile the blade. I'm not going to risk it due to the Damascus layers. It's a top tier shaver but as many of you know. It comes to the territory with Thiers Issard sometimes.

Last edited:
No not regrind, just correct/reprofile the heel and move the heel corner away from the stabilizer. You are having to grind the stabilizer in order to hone the heel half of the bevel/edge. The stabilizer is keeping half of the razor off the stone.

It is a 5-minute fix that will allow the razor to sit fully flat on the hone.

HEEL CORRECTION – REPROFILING Made easy.,Thanks for the tip but its not that simple. The blade has warp/curves in 3 spots unfortunately. I know how it may look in the picture but the stabilizer is more cosmetic deception. I wish it was that simple. To truly correct this issue is a regrind. I'm not do that.

Had a bit of time before the yard work starts. Decided to re-hone this Parion 380 razor. Went with a Atoma 1200 just to see how it did with setting a bevel. It did fairly well actually but still went back to the Chosera 1K>Chosera 3K>Chosera5K>Fugi 8K>Naniwa 12K.

Then to the Shapton .44. The edge tested pretty good but for the chits and giggles I broke out the Norton HM8. Such a nice stone to hone on.

IMG_2252.jpeg

IMG_2255.jpeg
IMG_2253.jpeg

Part two of rubbing two Jnats together. The results are unexpected. The edge on the Iwasaki kami is cutting hanging like it's not even there. I'm going to lap both stones to make sure I didn't create unevenness by rubbing the stones together. I can already see the Asaigi is only wearing only in the middle of the stone. Otherwise I'm very pleasantly surprised on this experiment.

IMG_20240405_222925073.jpg
IMG_20240405_223001598.jpg
IMG_20240405_222948187.jpg

Top Bottom