What's new

What did you hone today?

proxy.php

5/8 W&B that I rescaled in Cocobolo.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Le Grelot on a water only coti. This touchup is intented to ready the blade for its maiden voyage on my new strop from DM.
ie: Da Man

By my calculations, I am currently the owner of not only his last ever paddle strop (and no more will be made, from what I read) but also the very last latigo he produced*. Oh joy!

*I welcome the day when I can cheerfully hand over the title of owner of the newest TM strop to the next lucky guy in line. :thumbup1:

Last night; two Elmo 4/8" of a set of three.

I'm quite pleased, I had to hone out a chip in one of them, and it still gave a good shave this morning.

This morning I honed up a Wolfertz 5/8. Set the bevel on a DMT and finished up on a run through the Naniwas. Shave was comfortable but not as close as I'd like. I might go back to the 5k and go through again.

proxy.php

Honed my 6/8 GOTTA to take with me this week to San Francisco.

1.2K DMT
Nakayama Honyama
Shobudani Asagi
75 Laigo

Took this Heljestrand back to the Coti for a little more work, wasn't quite there after the initial honing on Saturday.
A few laps starting with a light slurry, finishing with ~100 laps on water only, result: First real success with the coti, and a fabulous shave :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Did a full honing of my 13/16 vintage Le Grelot on my 125x30mm La Petite Blanche. The result? Pure bliss. Definitely hands down the best shaving edge I have ever produced thanks (mostly) to the razor. Unfortunately this razor still has the original black plastic scales that are flimsy and loose, so I have to guide the blade in. I think TI blond horn are what I need to order...

Had to do a touch up on a Carl Rader 7/8. Did like 60 passes on a Naniwa 12K then to .25 diamond then stropped on latigo.

Back to as good as new :biggrin1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
6/8 Le Grelot on the BBW side of my combo coti. TPT seems to be better than my coti side (indicating my current lack of a refined technique). I'll see how the shave is in the morning.

6/8 Le Jaguar 1/4 hollow . Had honed it long ago and it was my initial test when I got my Oozuku Asagi for finishing. Remember the edge not being great and actually was thinking of selling this one.

Took it back to the hones. Reset the bevel on a Chosera 1K, LGJ coticule dilucot and finished on an escher. Wow! This seriously is one of the most impressive edges I've ever attained. I'm attributing this to the steel as I really didn't do anything different than I normally do in my honing regiment.

3 X Tosuke; Hanasama
Shapton Pro 2K and 5K, Akatsuki 8K, Spyderco UF; 0.3 diamond film, 0.5 chromium oxide

Friodur; Manaslu; King Pelican; Merkur; Diamond Hayashi
Spyderco UF; 0.3 diamond film

Set the bevel on a John Clarke & Son.

Used a DMT 325/600/1200 (taped spine) to remove some chips. No tape then set the bevel on DMT 1200.

That's it for the night, I'll finish it tomorrow.

E.A Berg ½ hollow
DMT 600 > Naniwa 2K >Naniwa 8K > Naniwa 10K > HA Diamond 0.5/ leather bench strop > Ha Diamond 0.25/leather bench strop

F.W Söderén 5/8 frameback
DMT 600 > Naniwa 2K >Naniwa 8K > Naniwa 10K > Vintage Swedish paste on suede bench strop(lovely stuff :tongue_sm)

"Finest India Steel" 5/8 wedge
Touch up w/ ~50 laps on coticule (La Grosse Blanche)

Eskilstuna Jernbolag 6/8 frameback
Touch up w/ ~50 laps on coticule (La Grosse Blanche)

Gerber Gator II folding knife
Touch up w/ Naniwa 3K

Smith&Wesson extreme ops folding knife
Touch up w/ Naniwa 1K > Naniwa 3K

Frosts carving knife
Touch up w/ King 6K

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Wapi w/Coti dilucot .... and got one of my best shaves with a straight yet.

I've oiled up and packed my TI Le Grelot hollow away for the time being as I have trouble getting a nice edge on it compared to my Wapi using either unicot or dilucot methods. I think it might be the TI steel being much harder that the Wapi (just a guess) and my current lack of consistent technique in honing (no guess there :blush:).

Either way, until I am able to get a consistently good edge on my Wapi, I think I need to stick with the exact same setup (razor, coti, dilucot) before moving on to my Le Grelot. And here I thought the full hollow would be easier to hone than the 1/4 Wapi. Oh well. Good thing I love my Wapi :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom