What's new

What did you hone today?

Toyo Schoen Burg on my new #7 LPB Red Coticule Bout and Finished on my Oozuku Asagi.

These razors deserve all the praise they get. One of my best edges ever.

Late last night; a Kingbell 5/8"

I'm quite pleased with my performance here, from absolutely dull to a very comfortable and close shave today - nice :biggrin1:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Just finished a unicot on my Le Grelot. Will find out tomorrow morning how well it worked out. I'll have 3-day's scruff on then

(Almost) NOS Dorko 6/8, shoulderless. Atoma 1.2K bevelset > La Veinette push > Oozuku #1 (Meijira) > Oozuku #1 (Koma) > Oozuku #2 (the beast) > 100 on Ambrose Corto.

It's 'sticky'...

Yesterday I honed Gary's John Clarke and Son, Sheffield 13/16. He lent it to me so I could taste a coticule edge from an experience honer. I dulled it and rehoned it on my LGB bout and am sending it back to him so he can give me some feedback on how I did.

Thanks a lot Gary!

Yesterday was my Youth 13/16 Japanese Western 1/4 Hollow (the grind was a pleasant surprise) that I got for $20 shipped.

DMT 600 -> Les Latneuses -> Frankonian

Shave was a little below my standards and I'm taking it back to the coticule today with light slurry and progressing up again.

Nothing today, but yesterday a J.A. Hellberg 5/8 Wedge and Solingen Ringdove 5/8, both with Naniwa 1K/3K/8K finished on La Grise Coticule.

Yesterday was my Youth 13/16 Japanese Western 1/4 Hollow (the grind was a pleasant surprise) that I got for $20 shipped.

DMT 600 -> Les Latneuses -> Frankonian

Shave was a little below my standards and I'm taking it back to the coticule today with light slurry and progressing up again.

Here's something to try on that one (speaking from experience with it!):

Give it some time on light slurry on the hybrid side, doing dilutions and finishing on water. Then (optionally) go back to the creamy side and do some strokes on water if you like. You'll be pleasantly surprised (and may just forget about going to the Frankonian).

Give it some time on light slurry on the hybrid side, doing dilutions and finishing on water. Then (optionally) go back to the creamy side and do some strokes on water if you like. You'll be pleasantly surprised (and may just forget about going to the Frankonian).

As having owned several I agree with Jared.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A couple of licks on a coti was all my 6/8 (ha!) 3/4 grind Le Grelot required.

I haven't the faintest idea why that razor is so darned good. Everything I know tells me it's too big and heavy, with too thick a grind, but it shaves like a dream. It's the only razor I would consider getting a duplicate of.

Thanks Jared! Will give it a try tonight. Haven't really played much with the hybrid side yet, but that is just cause I have too many hones to play with at the moment.

A couple of licks on a coti was all my 6/8 (ha!) 3/4 grind Le Grelot required.

I haven't the faintest idea why that razor is so darned good. Everything I know tells me it's too big and heavy, with too thick a grind, but it shaves like a dream. It's the only razor I would consider getting a duplicate of.

I have one too and fully agree

Today I honed up an ooooold 6/8 Sheffield wedge with bone scales and a lovely silver inlay without using tape. It passed a HHT 2 off the Coticule, but after stropping went up to a 4. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. This blade has held it's edge for an extremely long time before needing a re-honing.

Thanks, I was wondering why I would want to go coti-BBW-coti :confused1

I do that sometimes. Coticule with slurry, set bevel, BBW with slightly heavier slurry diluted to a light slurry, then Coticule with water. It's sometimes easier for me to reach a higher keenness level doing this than with just Coticule alone.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Now you can try that too for a keener edge.

Yes, I read the article on honing with BBWs and will give it a go once I can get a consistently good edge from the yellow side of my combo. I was reading the comments as polish with coti on water, then a little bit of work with the BBW, then back to water on coti again.

This "rub blade on stone" thing sounds simple enough :001_tongu

I just finished honing job on Duble Duck Goldedge recived from Pelicano.
I did honing job on my Coticule and Naniwas. After all razor took very nice edge (HHT-4 after stropping) so tommorow I will make test shave.

Top Bottom