What's new

What camera and photo gear do you use?

I wish I still had my Rollei 126 SLR. That thing was a hoot to shoot with. But finding someone to process 126 was difficult. I don't even think anyone makes 126 format film anymore. The printers were always confused because every frame overlapped. There were no clean frames.

I had a Mintolta 110 SLR kit as well. I think I had 3 lenses and the flash.

I graduated from the Washington School of Photography in 2009. I intended on becoming a portrait photographer, but the economy got so bad, I couldn't find work. Everyone with a cellphone thinks they are a professional photographer, and many volunteer their work for free. lol
But I still enjoy photography and love taking pictures if I find something worthy. I use a Canon EOS 60D camera and have multiple lenses and various other equipment. I was working on setting up a studio in my garage, but without being able to find any work, I couldn't justify spending any more money on just a hobby.

I graduated from the Washington School of Photography in 2009. I intended on becoming a portrait photographer, but the economy got so bad, I couldn't find work. Everyone with a cellphone thinks they are a professional photographer, and many volunteer their work for free. lol
But I still enjoy photography and love taking pictures if I find something worthy. I use a Canon EOS 60D camera and have multiple lenses and various other equipment. I was working on setting up a studio in my garage, but without being able to find any work, I couldn't justify spending any more money on just a hobby.

Welcome ColtJustice. Hopefully some day things will turn around and you can enjoy your chosen profession. Great to have you here.

Grabbed this moments ago with my Nikon P7000:

proxy.php

This was the best of about 6 images while the Mantis posed very thoughtfully as I struggled to get a good image :)

I'm not too many days away from taking a trip across the pond and planned to bring the P7000 with me. It's a 10MP camera that is about 7 years old in design. I couldn't get auto focus to lock on him so I was struggling to use the manual focus feature. I came in and after examining some of the images, almost pulled the trigger on a replacement for it, but I'm just too close to flying (this weekend) and don't want to risk a delivery hiccup causing me to depart without it.

Plus I have a bad habit of not thoroughly researching my options, jumping the gun and regretting it later. Today's contemporary equivalents of the year 2010, 10MP Nikon P7000 are up in the 20MP image range, but there are other considerations, including low light sharpness and low light focusing capability.

So I'll go ahead and make this trip packing the P7000. It will get me by until I have more time to devote to considering options in this class of camera :)

I have a lot of gear, but basically, I use Canon equipment. My main camera is a 60D, and I have several Canon lenses and various equipment.
Now I'm looking to start Videography, and am looking for a camera. My church has asked me to start videoing the services and classes taught. We're working out the logistics now.

I have a lot of gear, but basically, I use Canon equipment. My main camera is a 60D, and I have several Canon lenses and various equipment.
Now I'm looking to start Videography, and am looking for a camera. My church has asked me to start videoing the services and classes taught. We're working out the logistics now.

That's awesome. Hope everything works out for you on that. Video production is definitely interesting and a good creativity builder.

I'm a Nikon man. I keep my old bodies thinking of them as back-up or I'll use them where they might get dirty, but I never really swap out. Who doesn't use the best you have? I shoot with a D500 with a 50-300. 10 frames/second...sounds sooooo sexy.

Good gracious, I might be able to exercise all my hobbies at B&B!

G'day all. :)

I'm a Canon man. Holiday kit is an EOS M3 with 18-55mm and 22mm lenses. The real camera is a 5D mkIII, Sigma Art 50mm, Canon 24-70, 70-200 and 16-35. One day I'll get around to adding an 85mm again, the first one was stolen. Rounding out with a 430exII flash, Manfrotto tripod, Lowe Pro pack and Nikon hand strap.

I suppose it gets used for everything; kids, portraits, landscapes, art, sport and personal journalism. I've even shot a couple of engagements and small events.

Here's a snap of my son from a few years back with the missing 85mm f1.8 wide open. As you can see it certainly wasn't prepared; bad hair, no expression, but it's the most natural shot of his eyes I've ever taken because he normally wears lenses.
comp-3.jpg

I'm a Nikon man. I keep my old bodies thinking of them as back-up or I'll use them where they might get dirty, but I never really swap out. Who doesn't use the best you have? I shoot with a D500 with a 50-300. 10 frames/second...sounds sooooo sexy.

I miss all the old 35mm and 6x6/6x7cm SLRs and TLRs. Looking through those bright, contrasty viewfinders and twisting the focus ring to bring the subject into sharpness...every once in a while I have to break out my Nikon F and just look through it!

Good gracious, I might be able to exercise all my hobbies at B&B!

G'day all. :)

I'm a Canon man. Holiday kit is an EOS M3 with 18-55mm and 22mm lenses. The real camera is a 5D mkIII, Sigma Art 50mm, Canon 24-70, 70-200 and 16-35. One day I'll get around to adding an 85mm again, the first one was stolen. Rounding out with a 430exII flash, Manfrotto tripod, Lowe Pro pack and Nikon hand strap.

I suppose it gets used for everything; kids, portraits, landscapes, art, sport and personal journalism. I've even shot a couple of engagements and small events.

Here's a snap of my son from a few years back with the missing 85mm f1.8 wide open. As you can see it certainly wasn't prepared; bad hair, no expression, but it's the most natural shot of his eyes I've ever taken because he normally wears lenses.
View attachment 818925

Outstanding KMan, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

That's awesome. Hope everything works out for you on that. Video production is definitely interesting and a good creativity builder.

Thanks. I got a diploma from the Washington School of Photography, so I understand the photography part, but it's the video part that is a new animal for me. But understanding basic lighting, exposure and composition will help me a lot with video. Now I just have to learn the software for editing video. I've downloaded a freeware program called Shotcut, which is fairly easy to understand. I've learned some basics of the editing process, but still a beginner at it.

I've had Nikon for years, since I got my FE around 1983. But I also have others:

- Nikon FE w/50 mm 1.8 Nikon, 70-210 Series E and motordrive
- Hasselblad 500 cm with 80 mm
- Bronica SQA (2) with 80 mm and 150 mm
- Nikon D70
- Nikon D200
- Nikon D300
- Nikon D700
- Nikon D750
- many Nikkor lenses: 500 mm 4, 300 mm 2.8, 70-200 mm 2.8, 85 mm 1.4, 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, two variations of 70-300, 105 mm 2.8 macro and some others
- Nikon SB800 (2) speedlights
- Nikon SB26 speedlight
- Carbon fiber tripods
- Many bags

Recently I felt I needed a lighter kit for travel, so now I have:

- Fuji X100T
- Fuji X-T2 with battery grip
- Fuji 18-135 mm
- may get Fuji 16 mm 1.4

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Leica M6. This is a silly idea since I don't shoot my existing film cameras.

I REGRET selling my Rolleiflex TLR during the early 1990s to fund the purchase of the Hasselblad.

Last edited:
Thanks. I got a diploma from the Washington School of Photography, so I understand the photography part, but it's the video part that is a new animal for me. But understanding basic lighting, exposure and composition will help me a lot with video. Now I just have to learn the software for editing video. I've downloaded a freeware program called Shotcut, which is fairly easy to understand. I've learned some basics of the editing process, but still a beginner at it.

Very cool ColtJustice. I have used Adobe Premiere Elements for years in various version numbers (think I'm at 14 now). It's not horribly expensive and I don't think I paid quite $100 for the version I'm using now. It is considered advanced-amateur/hobbyist level editor but packs powerful editing capability and many native special effects. You're going to enjoy the heck out of this new opportunity.

I've had Nikon for years, since I got my FE around 1983. But I also have others:

- Nikon FE w/50 mm 1.8 Nikon, 70-210 Series E and motordrive
- Hasselblad 500 cm with 80 mm
- Bronica SQA (2) with 80 mm and 150 mm
- Nikon D70
- Nikon D200
- Nikon D300
- Nikon D700
- Nikon D750
- many Nikkor lenses: 500 mm 4, 300 mm 2.8, 70-200 mm 2.8, 85 mm 1.4, 50 mm 1.8 and 1.4, two variations of 70-300, 105 mm 2.8 macro and some others
- Nikon SB800 (2) speedlights
- Nikon SB26 speedlight
- Carbon fiber tripods
- Many bags

Recently I felt I needed a lighter kit for travel, so now I have:

- Fuji X100T
- Fuji X-T2 with battery grip
- Fuji 18-135 mm
- may get Fuji 16 mm 1.4

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Leica M6. This is a silly idea since I don't shoot my existing film cameras.

I REGRET selling my Rolleiflex TLR during the early 1990s to fund the purchase of the Hasselblad.

Great tools! I was a Nikon FM2n shooter for years. If the world hadn't gone AF/digital on me I'd still be using that old warhorse.

Very cool ColtJustice. I have used Adobe Premiere Elements for years in various version numbers (think I'm at 14 now). It's not horribly expensive and I don't think I paid quite $100 for the version I'm using now. It is considered advanced-amateur/hobbyist level editor but packs powerful editing capability and many native special effects. You're going to enjoy the heck out of this new opportunity.
Thanks. I can downloaded a free version of Shotcut that seems to be decent and fairly beginner-user friendly. I may look into Premier Elements. I like, and am familiar with Adobe products. The learning curve should be a little easier with that. I'm already enjoying this opportunity immensely!

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I started with a Nikon EM in 1982 with the 50mm 1.2 Nikkor, then added the motor drive and the 105mm 2.8 Nikkor and a speed light. I used that 105mm a lot. It was a fantastic general purpose outdoor lens and was fast enough for most light conditions. I did need to push the 100 iso Kodak film to 400 now and then though. It got too grainy past 400 for me.

In mid 1983 I think, I went right to the F3HP/MD4 and added a Sigma 70-210 f4-5.6 and another speed light, then another F3HP/MD4 and one body always had the 105mm on it, the other usually the Sigma which was a very good lens even though not the fastest.

I sold all my film gear in the mid 1990's and now I just have a little Canon SD1200 10MP which actually takes very good pictures, but I do miss the Bulb setting sometimes. I use Adobe CS6 and the Google Nik filter pack, which is a free add on to all versions of Adobe CS I think and is a very powerful set of tools.

Google Nik Collection

Top Bottom