What's new

"Wedge" SE Razors?

I'm really wanting to add one in my arsenal, and am currently browsing various selling sites, but am having hard time to come across different models, and decided to ask for your help.

I'm talking about the SE razors that have honeable "wedge" blade (i'm using quotations here since most - if not all - are not actually wedges, but still many refer to them as such) as opposed to the use'm-and-lose'm replaceable blades like most SE's use.

Here's the brands of razors i've come up with so far that fall into this category:
Wilkinson, Star, Heljestrand, Rolls, Kampfe and Henkels. Any others i could try to find?

As far as i can tell, some of the razors came with a honing/stropping handle, and some did not. I'd imagine that the handle makes things a lot easier when it comes to honing?

The Wilkinson seems to be quite easy to find, but something about it doesn't speak to me. Maybe it's the look, or that it seems to be somewhat a PITA to hone according to some threads i found on the subject - probably because there's no handle for it. Could one make such handle say from a metal tube, or take one from another razor - or would that play havoc with the blades dimensions (mainly the angle of the edge)?

Anyone tried different wedge SE's and care to comment on the differences?

All info about this type of razors is welcome, as i practically know nothing about these.

OK, so i just pulled the trigger on a Rolls Razor for my worst cravings, so i can take my time and do the proper background work for the next one. :laugh:

I have done some comparisons with the razors you mention on this recent thread..:thumbup1:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/477145-Can-we-start-a-forum-on-SE-wedge-razors
There is also this Recent Thread..Slasher McCoy is very Knowledgeable in this Area..:001_rolle
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/480792-Let-s-Hear-It-For-Wedge-Blade-Safety-Razors!
And Another recent excellent thread with a lot of Intel...:001_cool:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/477145-SE-wedge-razor-users-say-hello

Billy

Last edited:
The links Billy provided should keep you busy for a while.

In additon to the brands you mentioned, early Gem razors used wedge blades. Also, the Henkels razor was actually a copy of the Ernst Scharff Rapide. There were also numerous obscure brands that usually were copies of a major brand.

The term "wedge" has become context-specific, meaning one thing if we are talking safety razors and something entirely different if we are talking straight razors. In the context of safety razors "hollow ground wedge blade" is not an oxymoron.

Most wedge razors came with a stropping/honing handle, although over the years they often get separated from the razors.

The Wilkinson is an exception. The manufacturer never intended for the blades to be honed by the user. They were to be stropped using the stropping mechanism in the razor and replaced when stropping no longer produced an acceptable edge. Because of this they are made of unusually hard steel which along with their small size makes them more difficult to hone.

No handle? No worries. Electrical tape can be used to provide "handles" for flipping the blade.

$tapeblade.JPG

Multiple layers of tape can be used to get the desired bevel angle. A Rolls blade is pictured above, but the method can be used with any blade.

BTW, the blade are same size (or at least close enough to be interchangeable) for most of the razors, with the Rolls and Wilkinson being the main exceptions.

You mentioned that you just acquired a Rolls - congratulations!

Over at the Clubs & Associations sub-forum you will find the definitive Rolls thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...iety-of-Ancient*-Rolls-Razor-Shavers-(SOARRS)

If I were forced to pick one type of SE as my favorite, the wedge blade razors would be it. There is the history, the mystique, and the fact that one of these razors with a properly honed and stropped blade can provide a closer and more comfortable shave than just about anything.

--Bob

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am a straight shaver but lately I have really gotten into wedge SE and injector razors. You could do far worse than to pick up an old Star lather catcher, even without the blade. I have been experimenting with making blades for these out of Gold Dollar #66 straights. If you have a belt sander and a dremel you can turn one out in about 45 minutes. Another hour to hone it to perfection and bobs yer uncle.

I am a straight shaver but lately I have really gotten into wedge SE and injector razors. You could do far worse than to pick up an old Star lather catcher, even without the blade. I have been experimenting with making blades for these out of Gold Dollar #66 straights. If you have a belt sander and a dremel you can turn one out in about 45 minutes. Another hour to hone it to perfection and bobs yer uncle.

I like your idea of re-purposing a straight. What would be the best way to cut out the "wedge" blade? A normal hack saw seems kind of brutish and a cut off wheel (dremel sized) might generate too much heat at the edge?

-jim

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like your idea of re-purposing a straight. What would be the best way to cut out the "wedge" blade? A normal hack saw seems kind of brutish and a cut off wheel (dremel sized) might generate too much heat at the edge?

-jim

You can't cut that with a hacksaw. Not an ordinary blade, anyway. I use a dremel and cutoff wheel. Just go a couple of seconds at a time while near the edge. You can go 30 seconds or so at a time at the spine. Vary as needed. It should never get too hot to hold comfortably. I have never seen BSOD (Blue Stain Of Death) on a blade I have cut this way. If you do, it will only be at the very corner. No biggie, just be more careful with the next one. Cut slightly over length and sand to length. Or don't. Whatever blows your skirt up. The bevel is what is important. Speaking of which, you need to thin the spine, for best results. If you take it down to about .210" thick or a bit less you are in the ballpark. If you will use a stropping handle for honing, you need to go a good bit thinner. About .185" should work. You can thin on a coarse diamond plate or on 60 grit paper on glass, but I use a belt sander upside down in a bench vise for the bulk of the steel removal, then go to hand sanding. You can push the hollowgrind up into the spine and reduce the spine bevel width, if desired, but for a first attempt I wouldn't do that. Just cut it and thin it and hone it, strop and shave.

For a "better" razor as donor steel, it might not be necessary to thin the spine. A GD is very thick and the shave will be underwhelming with the stock bevel angle. But a GD66 is cheap. You can't use much less than a 6/8 blade and I dont think you can use more than a 7/8 but I havent tried. Of course a wider blade can simply be honed until it fits...

Thank you all for those great posts!

I've been mainly shaving with a straight, but occasionally use my Gillette's too (got a Fat Boy, Super Speed, long handled Black Beauty and a Ball End Tech). Just recently started dabbling with SE's, and so far got the OCMM witch i took apart in another thread, and a Gem Junior lather catcher on the way, and found the wedge types very intriguing, as they seem to be the "missing link" between straights and SE's, and i can put my preferred straight hone finishes to those blades as well!

I got a Dremel, but no belt sander (out of the question according to my SWMBO), and even tho i restore quite few razors in my spare time i think making my own SE wedges is not for me. Might give it a try at some point with a Dremel and a diamond plate, as i already got those, but i'd still feel a lot more comfortable doing that if i got an original blade to compare it with..

BTW. got one of those Wilkinson 7 day sets also on the way, might be two tomorrow.

And some people say i have a problem with my RAD. :lol:

Last edited:
With any luck you have one or two you can work with..I have only ever got one set that had a Hollow ground blade that was ever useable with the exception of Rolls Sets..I hope you are Lucky here..:001_cool:

Billy

Can the Gem Junior take a wedge blade? Thinking about getting one.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes they Do..They are Hens Teeth though because they are Smaller than the Usual Hollow Grounds as you can see..This is an Original Gem Blade..I haven't got round to Honing this One yet..I was Lucky to get this One..I am using a Cru Steel Blade at the Moment & they provide an Excellent Shave with these as Well..:001_cool:

Billy

I got another on the way, even tho none of the priors has arrived yet. :laugh: So far i got the Rolls, Wilkinson and now this "L'essor CCSF" incoming.

proxy.php

Anyone have any info on this one?

Edit. Yes, it's missing the honing/stropping handle, witch is a bummer, but other than that i think it looks good. Just have to hope the blades are usable.

Waits has this to say about L'Essor in his Safety Razor Compendium ..:tongue_sm
proxy.php

- The logo "CSF"/CDSF on the box is not L'Essor-specific as it stands for "Chamber Syndicale Des Couteliers Detaillants Francais"

Its hard to date them but they were probably made around the 1920s..These French Hoe Types were pretty much all the same design..I just sold mine recently because I have a French Louis Hoe which shaves pretty much the same..A lot of these French Hoe Razors were sold under different brand names as well...Lovely smooth & forgiving shavers with a Hollow Ground Blade..:w00t:

Billy

Top Bottom