What's new

"Wedge" SE Razors?

The original Rapide was the Ernst Scharff Rapide. Scharff patented the design in 1891 (US patent in 1892) and the razor was produced at his plant in Frankfurt, Germany.

View attachment 652630

Scharff's patent on the Rapide expired in 1911 and several manufacturers were quick to produce their own Rapides, the best known being J. A. Henckels. There were also several French manufacturers.

The Henckels Rapide has a head that is virtually identical to the last version of the Scharff Rapide. They added a larger knurled handle, and of course it came with Henckels blades made of Solingen steel - some of the finest steel in the world.

View attachment 652631

You are very fortunate to have a Henckels Rapide 7 day set, especially if all the blades look as good as the one pictured. Those blades can be honed to an unbelievably wicked crazy sharp edge.

--Bob
Thanks Bob. They are all pretty close to the one pictured. One has slightly more oxidation, but still in good condition.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I totally forgot to do my duty.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I think I had my eye on that one... just a little too rich for my current financial straits. Nice set!

IMO the Rapide also does a hell of a good shaving job with a standard Personna Gem stainless steel single edge blade too.

The original Rapide was the Ernst Scharff Rapide. Scharff patented the design in 1891 (US patent in 1892) and the razor was produced at his plant in Frankfurt, Germany.

View attachment 652630

Scharff's patent on the Rapide expired in 1911 and several manufacturers were quick to produce their own Rapides, the best known being J. A. Henckels. There were also several French manufacturers.

The Henckels Rapide has a head that is virtually identical to the last version of the Scharff Rapide. They added a larger knurled handle, and of course it came with Henckels blades made of Solingen steel - some of the finest steel in the world.

View attachment 652631

You are very fortunate to have a Henckels Rapide 7 day set, especially if all the blades look as good as the one pictured. Those blades can be honed to an unbelievably wicked crazy sharp edge.

--Bob

Henckels may have produced some razors for Scharf based on one I have. The razor is an early no blade stops version marked Scharf Rapide on the handle and the two piece sliding tin case it came in is marked Rapide but also has the Henckels twins logo on it, which I presume indicates manufacturing origin. I also have a early blade stops version with the skinny handle in a very similar tin case with Henckels clearly marked on the case along with multiple twins logos. No marks at all on the razor though. Be interesting to know the business relationship between Scharf and Henckels as I have also seen photos of the same tin case marked Scharf Rapide but without the Henckels twins logo.

Top Bottom