What's new

Watches - Your all time best one.

I restore and collect vintage watches. Here's a few photos of some of the more unusual ones that one will likely never run across. The Moser is in a 14K case, made in Russia probably in the 1910s. The case and the movement both have the same serial number, unusual for these kinds of watches that were usually recased. The Bucherer is very hard to come across given that it is a very conservative Swiss watch manufacturer. I think it's ugly but also so unusual that it is kind of cool in its own way. I have several others that are very unusual and if folks have interest in this stuff I can take photos and post. The Timex is called a ColorFlix. As I recall (haven't looked at it in a while) the second hand is a plastic, transparent dial that has multiple colors overlaying the actual dial that also has different colors. As the second hand turns the colors change on the face of the watch.

Attachments

• $front.jpg
    $front.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 184
  • $mosermovement15J.jpg
    $mosermovement15J.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 185
  • $bucherer direct read.jpg
    $bucherer direct read.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 185
  • $Timex ColorFlix.jpg
    $Timex ColorFlix.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 180
  • $zodiac dial 1 (1 of 1).jpg
    $zodiac dial 1 (1 of 1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I had a rolex oyster, which I wore all of two times, because I was afraid of damaging it. I can't honestly comment on its quality or reliability, but it did come in a nice box, and had a hologram sticker on the back, which I never took off. Sold it, bought a Omega Seamaster Pro, which I wore to death. Literally. Had a cycling accident and messed it up badly, and it still sits unfixed in a box, due to the Aussie quote for repair.

That was my "best" watch. It was flawless until I murdered it.

Now... I have lots, but I kind of love my Vostok, and that gets the most wrist time. It's quirky, and if I kill it I will bury it in the yard and not keep its corpse, just in case I will one day have the funds to resurrect it. But I suspect it will be hard to kill.

Last edited:
$Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 10.51.24.jpg
I have several watches, but this is the only one I really need. It also has the most accurate automatic movement I have ever had my hands on, usually +/- a few seconds a month. I travel with it frequently, so the GMT feature is handy.
There are a lot of nice watches in this thread.

I had a couple of quite expensive automatic watches in my life but parted with all of them.

For two years I have had a Tissot PR 100 Titanium and I am very happy with it:

proxy.php

The two watches that mean the most to me are family heirloom watches. One a pocket watch, the other a wrist watch.

Waltham Model 1894 circa 1908 (I dated the movement by serial number) - Belonged to my maternal grandfather who passed away in 1959. It runs, but is not close to accurate. You know what? I don't care.

Hamilton Thin O Matic - late 1960's or early 1970's. Belonged to my paternal grandfather. It was a worn daily service award from the company he retired from. Runs great, but is so small (~33 mm) I don't wear it often. But I will every now and again.

But if I had to pick something that is something I would like, but wouldn't normally buy for myself? Not sure. Rolex? Omega? Brietling? A coworker just picked up a Davidoff with a 7750 Valjoux movement. Very cool watch. Not super expensive but not something you see every day either. One I wouldn't mind having. And can get for around $800. Not that I would ever spend that kind of money on a watch in real life.

Like a lot of guys here, I've got a couple nice heirloom time pieces. I'm also a fan of mechanical movements. So it is inexplicable that I have been considering pulling the trigger on this monstrosity.

$g-shock yellow.jpg

Watches are timepieces, nothing more or less. The difference between any two is the cost of materials, the mechanical uniqueness, artistry of the movement and availability. Timex and others make a great watch, and they do what they are built to do. Expensive timepieces are built, many times, by hand to show a different level of artistry. They still just tell time.

Just as all automobiles are transportation vehicles, there is a difference between brands. If you think that a Chevy is the same cost of goods and build time as a Ferrari, you are sadly mistaken. The same is true with watch brands.
Sadly, most of the higher-end watchmakers seem to ignore the notion of telling the time. If I search google images for "expensive watch", with 95% of them it's impossible to tell what time it is without studying it closely for a while. Just enough time to veer into oncoming traffic. How is that a positive feature?
It's like taking that Ferrari, and mounting oval wheels on it, because it looks cooler when parked in the driveway.

The exposed works on many of them are just an affectation that hinders their "proper" function. In college I learned that for all successful designs, "form ever follows function". When given the seeming counter-example of aerodynamically streamlined toasters, our instructor would then point out the notion of the social function as opposed to the mechanical function (of toasting bread safely). The outlandishly unreadable watches are clearly not intended to be mere timepieces, but ornaments and status symbols, which are their social functions. That's fine, if you want it, but don't claim that they "still just tell time."

Personally, when I look for a watch, I only care about the mechanical functions, and that means a round white face with all 12 bold black numbers and black fat hands. Oh, and Indiglo for the dark, and some water-resistance. Digital watches are right out.

This is the one I wear most.

It has a good heft, the dial is extremely easy to read and I don't have to worry about jumping in the pool or ocean with it. Quartz watches keep better time, but as an engineer I enjoy the idea of all of the gears, levers and springs on my wrist.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is the one I wear most.

It has a good heft, the dial is extremely easy to read and I don't have to worry about jumping in the pool or ocean with it. Quartz watches keep better time, but as an engineer I enjoy the idea of all of the gears, levers and springs on my wrist.

Ah, so that is the watch that inspired the Invicta homage (sounds much nicer than blatant rip off) that is currently on my wrist (sorry, I can't afford Rolex's right now). Note- my bezel position may drive OCD people crazy. At work, once a sim has been down for one hour we have to send out a sim down email. So, when I receive a call, the first thing I do is set the watch. I never return it to zero. It is so much easier than having to remember what time they called, or to set a stop watch.

Attachments

• $invicta.jpg
    $invicta.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 103
I have owned some very nice watches, a white dial Longines Admiral, a Champagne dial Oris BC3, a blue dial Breitling Repetition Minutes and a silver dial oblong Hamilton Automatic - and ended up selling them all !!

Now the only watches I own are 060, 090, 100 and 710 Vostok Amphibias - less than €55 each, reliable automatic movements, WR to 200m,shock protected and built like tanks
I modded all 4, and I like all 4, but to decide which one is the best ?
Easy - my favourite out of the 4, which I also consider to be my best watch of all time..............

The 090, modded with the bezel off the 100 and a Generic 22mm shark mesh bracelet (although I've ordered a Generic 22mm Ploprof style shark mesh bracelet which is currently en route from China to Spain)
I love the retro 1960s style blue dial with the Arabic numerals and the heavy, solid case
I walk using crutches, so watches getting dinged up is just something else that I had to learn to put up with - it makes the watch look more badass and gives it character
The acrylic crystal comes up like new and the dings on the case look less obvious with a drop of toothpaste on a piece of toilet paper or cotton wool and a bit of elbow grease
Fair to say, all 4 Amphibias take some knocks - and all are still fit for purpose
I doubt if my old watches that I sold would have fared quite so well

One badass watch !!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

@adamchur- that band isn't a hair grabber, is it?
It's not too bad, but unless you've got a Dremmel (which I don't), I found out the hard way it's a royal pain in the a** to cut it to size using wire cutters !!
Another disadvantage is that some of the links can be needle sharp, but for less than €10 shipped it's still fit for purpose

Although IMHO the Generic "Ploprof" that I'm waiting for delivery on is well worth paying the extra €7 for
http://www.ebay.es/itm/291816212985?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
proxy.php

The two watches that mean the most to me are family heirloom watches. One a pocket watch, the other a wrist watch.

Waltham Model 1894 circa 1908 (I dated the movement by serial number) - Belonged to my maternal grandfather who passed away in 1959. It runs, but is not close to accurate. You know what? I don't care.

Hamilton Thin O Matic - late 1960's or early 1970's. Belonged to my paternal grandfather. It was a worn daily service award from the company he retired from. Runs great, but is so small (~33 mm) I don't wear it often. But I will every now and again.

But if I had to pick something that is something I would like, but wouldn't normally buy for myself? Not sure. Rolex? Omega? Brietling? A coworker just picked up a Davidoff with a 7750 Valjoux movement. Very cool watch. Not super expensive but not something you see every day either. One I wouldn't mind having. And can get for around $800. Not that I would ever spend that kind of money on a watch in real life.

Hamilton Thin O Matic

Waltham Model 1894

back: (engraved with CWT-my grandpa's initials)

Top Bottom