What's new

3 watch collection

What’s your opinion on the new Titanium Yachtmaster that came out 2023?
It's an interesting watch. While I own watches larger than 42mm, I'm not a big fan of Rolex's over 41mm, and the 42mm YM just doesn't have the poise and balance of it's 40mm brethren. I also think it was a miss for Rolex to go with Ti on the YM, instead of the Sub, where it makes more sense.

Ultimately what ruins it for me though, is the $. $14K for a titanium YM is a whopping 40% premium over the Sub, which is not justifiable - especially since Titanium scratches easier than steel, and that watch is going to show a lot of wear on the band/clasp. Rolex also makes another 42mm Titanium watch with a ceramic bezel under their Tudor line called the Pelagos for only $5K and it comes with a rubber strap as well. So 40% premium over the Sub, and a near 3X premium over the Pelagos just doesn't make any sense to me - I can't rationalize it.

The world of watches is weird - $14K can be both a fortune for a watch, and mere pocket change, but one cannot deny that if you're willing to part with $14k for a wrist watch, you have a ton of exceptional watches, especially on the pre-owned market. If I was dropping $14K, it certainly wouldn't be on that titanium YM. I'd rather have:

1. A Rolex Sub + a Grand Seiko or ultra-high end Citizen dress watch (I actually think the ultra-high end Citizens are nicer than the GS' in every subjective and objective manner)

2. A solid gold pre-owned simple three hand dress watch from Chopard, VC, Rolex, etc for around $8-10K, and then the $5K Pelagos.

3. A Casio MR-G (digital or Analog) plus a pre-owned solid gold dress watch. Of the three options, this one would be my preference.

My hypothetical three watch collection:

Daily: Rolex Explorer 124270
Dress: JLC Reverso Classic Monoface
Beater: Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro 300
Great list! I have tried to buy a JLC Reverso at least half a dozen times - and have never been able to follow through. I can't put my finger on why - but I always feel underwhelmed by them when they're on my wrist. Perhaps one day...

Great list! I have tried to buy a JLC Reverso at least half a dozen times - and have never been able to follow through. I can't put my finger on why - but I always feel underwhelmed by them when they're on my wrist. Perhaps one day...

Hopefully I get a chance to try one on...some day. In the meantime, I am happy with my (significantly) less expensive Lorier Zephyr.
zephyr.jpg

Hopefully I get a chance to try one on...some day. In the meantime, I am happy with my (significantly) less expensive Lorier Zephyr.
View attachment 1782155

I own and have owned an unhealthy number of premium watches and the one thing I can say without resolve is that more expensive watches don't necessarily result in greater enjoyment. In fact, my journey has been quite the opposite. A lot of the overly complicated watches I used to look at and drool over are terrible watches to live with, which you really don't experience until you actually own them, and more importantly wear them. I know a lot of guys with INSANE watch collections, and but they rarely wear any of their exotic pieces, and if they do, it's just for a few hours at an event or what have you.

For instance - I had two "high end" grail watches on my radar for quite some time - a Lange Zeitwerk and a Credor Eichi II. I bought both, and no longer own either. The Lange was way too thick/heavy and uncomfortable for frequent wear, and before the "digital" minute changes a few seconds before the "flip" the number "shudders" and effectively pre-stages, which looks kind of goofy, and if you look down at it when it's in that state, it looks like the number is crooked (they have apparently fixed this on newer models) - which for a watch the price of a well-equipped Mercedes Benz, that's not acceptable. It also was one of the least accurate mechanical watches I have owned, despite being serviced 2X during my ownership. The physical "digital" wheels are a massive power drain, so while the power reserve was acceptable, the amount of winding you had to do was annoying. Service also takes forever compared to say Rolex. The Credor Eichi II was immensely boring and while the finishing work on it was top notch, it got boring fast... and I mean in days, not weeks or months.

The only JLC i've owned (a Duometre) was a terrible *** and spent years being repaired, it was with JLC more than me.

Now adays - I'd much prefer a simple design that is dead nuts reliable and ideally accurate. I'm just as happy with a Casio MR-G on my wrist, as I am with one of my Rolex's, Lange's, etc.

It's an interesting watch. While I own watches larger than 42mm, I'm not a big fan of Rolex's over 41mm, and the 42mm YM just doesn't have the poise and balance of it's 40mm brethren. I also think it was a miss for Rolex to go with Ti on the YM, instead of the Sub, where it makes more sense.

Ultimately what ruins it for me though, is the $. $14K for a titanium YM is a whopping 40% premium over the Sub, which is not justifiable - especially since Titanium scratches easier than steel, and that watch is going to show a lot of wear on the band/clasp. Rolex also makes another 42mm Titanium watch with a ceramic bezel under their Tudor line called the Pelagos for only $5K and it comes with a rubber strap as well. So 40% premium over the Sub, and a near 3X premium over the Pelagos just doesn't make any sense to me - I can't rationalize it.

The world of watches is weird - $14K can be both a fortune for a watch, and mere pocket change, but one cannot deny that if you're willing to part with $14k for a wrist watch, you have a ton of exceptional watches, especially on the pre-owned market. If I was dropping $14K, it certainly wouldn't be on that titanium YM. I'd rather have:

1. A Rolex Sub + a Grand Seiko or ultra-high end Citizen dress watch (I actually think the ultra-high end Citizens are nicer than the GS' in every subjective and objective manner)

2. A solid gold pre-owned simple three hand dress watch from Chopard, VC, Rolex, etc for around $8-10K, and then the $5K Pelagos.

3. A Casio MR-G (digital or Analog) plus a pre-owned solid gold dress watch. Of the three options, this one would be my preference.
That mirrors my own thoughts (YM precious metal/Sub Toolwatch) although the 39mm Pelagos is currently my favorite over the 42mm version :)

I own and have owned an unhealthy number of premium watches and the one thing I can say without resolve is that more expensive watches don't necessarily result in greater enjoyment. In fact, my journey has been quite the opposite. A lot of the overly complicated watches I used to look at and drool over are terrible watches to live with, which you really don't experience until you actually own them, and more importantly wear them. I know a lot of guys with INSANE watch collections, and but they rarely wear any of their exotic pieces, and if they do, it's just for a few hours at an event or what have you.

For instance - I had two "high end" grail watches on my radar for quite some time - a Lange Zeitwerk and a Credor Eichi II. I bought both, and no longer own either. The Lange was way too thick/heavy and uncomfortable for frequent wear, and before the "digital" minute changes a few seconds before the "flip" the number "shudders" and effectively pre-stages, which looks kind of goofy, and if you look down at it when it's in that state, it looks like the number is crooked (they have apparently fixed this on newer models) - which for a watch the price of a well-equipped Mercedes Benz, that's not acceptable. It also was one of the least accurate mechanical watches I have owned, despite being serviced 2X during my ownership. The physical "digital" wheels are a massive power drain, so while the power reserve was acceptable, the amount of winding you had to do was annoying. Service also takes forever compared to say Rolex. The Credor Eichi II was immensely boring and while the finishing work on it was top notch, it got boring fast... and I mean in days, not weeks or months.

The only JLC i've owned (a Duometre) was a terrible *** and spent years being repaired, it was with JLC more than me.

Now adays - I'd much prefer a simple design that is dead nuts reliable and ideally accurate. I'm just as happy with a Casio MR-G on my wrist, as I am with one of my Rolex's, Lange's, etc.
That's why I always shied away from more complicate/haute horlogerie watches. Thinking about resetting a full calendar or other fancy stuff makes me shudder. Acquisition and maintenance costs add to that pain.

Up until now I kept it fairly simple and definitely sub 10k/piece over the last 25 years. Still I'm in the progress of a major reshuffle and thinning of the herd.

First new one in 2024 will be a 126713GRNR that will cover a lot of bases as a crossover casual/office piece.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
When I retired, I no longer wore my “dress” watches and sold them off. Becoming more health conscious as I age, I wear pretty much exclusively smart watches. I have a Garmin Fenix 7X Sapphire that is my daily driver, a basic Apple Watch for working out and lounging/sleeping, an Apple stainless steel with the Milanese band for dress, and an Apple Ultra that is reserved for weekends/casual events. To get down to three, I’d sell the Ultra.

No smart watches though. I don't want to be connected most times. The only reason I would add one is for safety. I trail run alone (with my dog) in a large forest, side trails, off the main paths, so if I ever fell or got lost, I would want someone to be able to find me.
For safety i would not rely on a smartwatch. Better options are a sat phone or an alarm transmitter (or what ever they are called), GPS'r and a compass

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Casio G-Shock MR-G Square.

Is this still available? To my grossly untrained eye, this looks like something that was made and discontinued a couple decades ago, much to the chagrin of guys who love it.

Rolex Yachmaster in rose gold on an Oysterflex bracelet. ... I didn’t take it off when I did rough/physical activities.

Is it a true "diver" watch, waterproof to halfway to the Titanic? Or is it just designed to withstand splashing around at the surface?

[Edit: I don't mind either way, just curious. Some guys actually dive and need the functionality of waterproof at depth, but lots more guys ... like me ... just love the look and won't do anything more strenuous than plain old swimming with it.)

Lange 1815 in white gold. This watch can easily be dressed up ... Due to how thin this watch is

A great, "simple and elegant" dress watch. Thinness is a key attribute of a good dress watch, so often overlooked in today's modern wrist-plates and Flav-a-flave homage timepieces.

and I generally like to fly under the radar

Amen!

I own and have owned an unhealthy number of premium watches and the one thing I can say without resolve is that more expensive watches don't necessarily result in greater enjoyment.

I don't mind how other guys spend their disposable cash, even on stuff that I personally wouldn't really want to buy ... but when it's my turn to explain the fate of my disposable cash, I'm usually talking about dependable, fly-under-the-radar, bang-for-buck, inexpensive stuff. Occasionally expensive, but almost never the really expensive stuff. But that's just me.

Yep, me too. Simple design, great accuracy, great reliability. And if I can get it for $500 instead of $5,000 ... great. And if I can get it for $50 instead ... now we're talking!

My "daily driver" at the moment is a Seiko Solar field watch in blue ... $99 from Jomashop years ago so dunno the price now.

1707937243652.png

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I happen to be a three watch person already. I have a very simple, wind-up stainless steel watch that has a second hand and is waterproof. I wear it with nylon straps in various colors. For dressier occasions, I have a thin, gold watch with Roman numerals. It has a black leather band and just hour and minute hands. It, too, requires winding. Lastly I have a gold pocket watch, also requiring winding, that I can drop in my pocket or golf bag. This is a terrific trio for me. I tried a sports watch and found fiddling with it to be a bother. I do not need a date or moon phase feature. I learn the date when I read the news and remember it all day. I look at the moon from time to time and note the phase. It is also on the weather site I check daily. If I owned anything more ostentatious, even a Patek, I would be embarrassed to wear it. My three, the newest of which was acquired in the 1970s, and the oldest of which dates to the early 1900s, have been quite reliable, but the periodic servicing and maintenance has gotten awfully pricy. I would avoid winding watches unless you just love antiquity. I have winding watches because two were important gifts, one from my parents and one from my wife, and one was inherited from my great grandfather.

Is this still available? To my grossly untrained eye, this looks like something that was made and discontinued a couple decades ago, much to the chagrin of guys who love it.

Is it a true "diver" watch, waterproof to halfway to the Titanic? Or is it just designed to withstand splashing around at the surface?

[Edit: I don't mind either way, just curious. Some guys actually dive and need the functionality of waterproof at depth, but lots more guys ... like me ... just love the look and won't do anything more strenuous than plain old swimming with it.)

A great, "simple and elegant" dress watch. Thinness is a key attribute of a good dress watch, so often overlooked in today's modern wrist-plates and Flav-a-flave homage timepieces.

Amen!

I don't mind how other guys spend their disposable cash, even on stuff that I personally wouldn't really want to buy ... but when it's my turn to explain the fate of my disposable cash, I'm usually talking about dependable, fly-under-the-radar, bang-for-buck, inexpensive stuff. Occasionally expensive, but almost never the really expensive stuff. But that's just me.

Yep, me too. Simple design, great accuracy, great reliability. And if I can get it for $500 instead of $5,000 ... great. And if I can get it for $50 instead ... now we're talking!

My "daily driver" at the moment is a Seiko Solar field watch in blue ... $99 from Jomashop years ago so dunno the price now.

View attachment 1796267
The B5000D-1 Casio MR-G is absolutely still made. The MR-G squares haven‘t been out long, maybe a year and a half or so? It was Casio’s first foray into high end digital watches. They are not cheap, but there’s no watches I’ve held/owned at that price range that are built as well, nor are nearly as tough and durable. I’ve smashed one with full force (on accident) into a metal pole and it left a bruise on my wrist (under the watch) but the watch didn’t have so much as a scratch. The testing on these is remarkable.

The Yachmaster has a 200m water resistance rating, however it has the same tri-lock crown the 300M rated sub has, so I think they rate it at 200m not to step on the Sub’s toes - but I’d bet it would test/certify at 300m without issue. That said, I am an avid scuba diver - and any watch over 100m water resistance is superfluous, as only VERY skilled, highly trained divers are going deeper than 40m. Furthermore, no serious diver is wearing a basic mechanical watch to dive with, they‘re using a wrist mounted dive computer the size of a watch, or an Apple Watch Ultra (which I’ve used on dozens of dives and is exceptional). Using a mechanical watch as a dive watch instead of a dive computer (that tracks your depth, ascent/decent speed to make sure you don’t pass out, nitrogen tissue saturation, interval time and nitrogen offload, water temp, heart rate, altitude when you’re done diving to make sure you don’t go up a mountain or fly on a plane too soon and get the bends, etc) is like using a horse instead of a car.

Although I have other watches, the one that I've been wearing pretty continuously since I bought it is the blue dial Seiko Dress KX. Removing the dive bezel and slimming the proportions down from the dive watch really turn it into an almost perfect GADA watch. Mine is the JDM version with the Kanji date wheel and the alignment on everything is great. Right after I bought it, the first thing I did was take it all apart to replace the Hardlex crystal with a blue AR double-domed piece of sapphire. I also replaced the display caseback with a solid steel extra slim caseback. Those two mods really put the watch on a different level, considering the $300 price tag.

Dress KX blue.png

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Just two for me. Most days it's the Apple watch which also doubles as my golf gps. On the rare days I get dressed up these days it's the Omega Seamaster w/titanium band.

Top Bottom