What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

From what I've heard, Burma Shave soap is/was (they may still be making it, or at least they were until recently) pretty bad, and I haven't heard anything about it having been reformulated since it was introduced. The brush too supposedly is quite bad, it's got clipped bristles. That mug is pretty though!

There have been at least 2 formulations. I have 3 cakes in my vintage stock that list sodium tallowate as the first ingredient. Recently on The Bay I saw some for sale that is sodium palmate based. My boxes do not list metric weights, so they probably date to the early 90's or 80's.

I have not shaved with Burma Shave soap since the 90's, and I recall liking it. A Burma Shave brush, soap, and cup set was my first wet-shaving buy after breifly using shaving gels in college. I have no idea if the stuff I used was the talow or palm oil based. The brush was not good, but it got the job done. I used to just lather it on the puck with a wet brush, the way my father taught me. That thing would probably have made me bleed if I had tried to face lather.

Used my vintage Royal London a few shaves ago. What a wonderful vintage soap that is pretty much unheard of. Was lucky enough to find a tin in a antique store, it comes in a unique black plastic screw top tub with small ridges at the bottom for drying. the scent is gone but the performance is top notch, one of the best vintage soaps I have tried (Yardley Stick being 2nd place).

I purchased a puck of Vintage Old Spice in the mug never used in the B&B BST. It should be here today. I am excited to use it!

An eBay score that just got marked as shipped:
ebay_williams.jpg

EBay is the easiest, but they routinely go for over $40 there, so you just gotta watch and hope to get lucky when someone lists, say, a mug and soap combo for a $20 buy it now.

I finally scored a mug of vintage Old Spice soap. $16 for the mug with soap and a vintage brush.

The puck looked pretty new. Before I scrubbed all the discolored crud off the pick it still had the ship logo stamped on it.

It has a light powder/soap scent. No specific Old Spice scent.

I tried test lathering in my hand a couple times. Once with a boar and once with a synthetic. I'm going to try a shave with it later this morning.

IMG_4377.JPG

So I stopped at an antique mall this morning to see if there was anything worthwhile. I found a Victorian era scuttle that I liked. I'm sure it will mostly sit on the shelf. I was weighing whether or not to get it for the $10 price tag. Turns out the seller was there and she said, "It does come with one of these old shaving soaps. It will make a nice display." I said, "I suppose I'll take it." Can't wait to try the Williams Tonsorial.

IMG_1043.jpg

Top Bottom