What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

From what I've heard, Burma Shave soap is/was (they may still be making it, or at least they were until recently) pretty bad, and I haven't heard anything about it having been reformulated since it was introduced. The brush too supposedly is quite bad, it's got clipped bristles. That mug is pretty though!

Hi,

I find it ironic that anyone would put 'Brush' and 'Burma Shave' in the same sentence!

The first Burma Shave rhyme went:

Shaving Brushes
You'll Soon See 'Em
Way Down East
In Some
Museum
Burma-Shave

In later years they put the same rhyme up again, changing 'East' into 'South'.

Stan

Hi,

I find it ironic that anyone would put 'Brush' and 'Burma Shave' in the same sentence!

The first Burma Shave rhyme went:

Shaving Brushes
You'll Soon See 'Em
Way Down East
In Some
Museum
Burma-Shave

In later years they put the same rhyme up again, changing 'East' into 'South'.

Stan

I agree, it is ironic.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Today flea market find, eight pucks of tallow goodness.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Here is a peak at my vintage soap drawer, there are another dozen or so in another drawer and a handful in my rotation.

$E5172839.jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I received my grandfathers shaving mug but I have no idea how it is suppose to be used any help would be greatly appreciated. It is made in England and is numbered 495 on the bottom.
Regards Dave L.
View attachment 699779View attachment 699781

Very nice old school scuttle. The soap goes on the top indentation and you fill with hot water though the "side hole". Your brush soaks in that opening as well. This was designed when folks did not have running water, and was used for face lathering rather than building lather in as is done in today's scuttles.

If it helps, here's a pic of mine in action ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thanks for that so you put a cake of shaving soap in top hot water in the bottom and off you go. Now to get some shaving soap.
Thanks DaveL

Hoping to find some vintage Musgo Real in Portugal next summer. That has to be one of the greatest vintage soap find in this thread!

Top Bottom