What's new

Vintage Ambrose strop...

Hey guys,

I have a vintage strop ny ambrose in thr mail as we speak. I'm not sure exactly the guy of leather he used but i'm trying to find some
Comments or review on it.... Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jf

Hey guys,

I have a vintage strop ny ambrose in thr mail as we speak. I'm not sure exactly the guy of leather he used but i'm trying to find some
Comments or review on it.... Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jf

'Round here, an Ambrose strop is a strop made "today" by a forum member who goes by Ambrose. They're well-loved to be sure.

Unless he's been making strops a lot longer than he'd admit, "Vintage" isn't one of the many superlatives you'd see attached to one of those.

Got any pics? If it's a closed eBay auction, you're welcome to link it.

haha! It's not actually a "Vintage" as in old. He (Ambrose) described it as a vintage like strop. He said that the feedback and feel is very similar to some of the old vintage strops.

Yeah! Do you guys know where I could read some reviews or anything about it?

Thanks!

JF

Yeah! Do you guys know where I could read some reviews or anything about it?

Thanks!

JF

It's still rather new; there's a good bit of posts lying about regarding Ambrose strops in general, though. Just search around a bit.

They're awesome.

I have a few of ambrose's strops (Spanish Horsehide, Hard Compressed horsehide, Cordovan, And a soft-finishing horsehide in the mail...) The only one I don't have is the Shell Mimic, and I'll be getting that soon.

His strops are minimalistic, stylish and excellent performers. What more can you ask for :)

And Jose (ambrose) is fantastic to work with

Technically 5... Spanish Horsehide (Discontinued for now, hopefully returning) Cordovan Shell (Horse butt, IIRC), Hard compressed horsehide, Smooth-finishing Soft Compressed horsehide and Shell Mimic horsehide.

And I'll soon have all 5.

Jose said that he's only made two of the one I'm getting! can't wait to get it! Go USPS and Canada Post!

MAn, it looks like I'm rather behind in the Ambrose strops. Only have the spanish leather and cordovan. Might have to pick up some of these others...

Technically 5... Spanish Horsehide (Discontinued for now, hopefully returning) Cordovan Shell (Horse butt, IIRC), Hard compressed horsehide, Smooth-finishing Soft Compressed horsehide and Shell Mimic horsehide.

And I'll soon have all 5.

What do you mean by horse butt? Is his "Cordovan" Shell leather or horse butt strip? There is a difference, with Shell leather being more premium.

It's Shell, but I was of the impression that shell leather was the horse's butt...

Isn't Shell cordovan the butt section?

The terms can be kind of confusing. The shell leather is actually not a hide so to speak, but a layer under the horses rear cheeks. Horse butt strip is a strip of leather that lies above the rear cheeks, and, to my knowledge, is actually a hide. Horse butt strip is also referred to as "North of Cordovan." Normally, when people say horse butt, they are referring to horse butt strip, which is not Shell leather. Most strops today are made from horse butt strip. For people seeking a shell strop, it is imperative that it is clear that the leather is actually Shell leather because not many people source it for making their strops.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The terms can be kind of confusing. The shell leather is actually not a hide so to speak, but a layer under the horses rear cheeks. Horse butt strip is a strip of leather that lies above the rear cheeks, and, to my knowledge, is actually a hide. Horse butt strip is also referred to as "North of Cordovan." Normally, when people say horse butt, they are referring to horse butt strip, which is not Shell leather. Most strops today are made from horse butt strip. For people seeking a shell strop, it is imperative that it is clear that the leather is actually Shell leather because not many people source it for making their strops.

Exactly!

Tony

The shell leather strops are the ones Ambrose labeled as cordovan. I had a few shells myself and got to play around with them. Definitely different from the horse butt strip when you have them side by side

Yeah, they have the "Horween Cordovan" stamp still on the back if you get the right strop (by "the right strop" I mean a strop from where the stamp was on the hide, not the right material)

Top Bottom