What's new

UEFA 2012, Champions league, etc.

I kind of forgot that the Champions League starts tonight. I will hastily put together a team in time for the games and I'll join the league.

Looks like I'll have to sit out this fantasy competition. I just cant sign in to pick a team at the moment and I wont have time to do it later.

I can log in to the Uefa site but every time I go to pick a team it tells me I'm not logged in (even though in the top corner it shows I am logged in). Then I try to log in on the pop up screen and it says my log in details are wrong (they're not)

Forgive me for asking a complete newbie question, I have certainly heard of the Champions League and saw Chelsea win last season's final over Bayern München. Over the last couple years, this has got a lot more play time on North American television. There is a North American analog as well that is kind of fun to watch.

However, I only recently stumbled upon a reference to another tournament called the Europa League. I saw a reference to it when I was reading about a match between an Austrian (Wien Rapid) and Norwegian team (Trondheim) that will be played with no fans, so called Geisterspiel, because of some earlier bad behavior.

Somebody care to explain the difference between the Europa League and the Champions League for a clueless American?

Forgive me for asking a complete newbie question, I have certainly heard of the Champions League and saw Chelsea win last season's final over Bayern München. Over the last couple years, this has got a lot more play time on North American television. There is a North American analog as well that is kind of fun to watch.

However, I only recently stumbled upon a reference to another tournament called the Europa League. I saw a reference to it when I was reading about a match between an Austrian (Wien Rapid) and Norwegian team (Trondheim) that will be played with no fans, so called Geisterspiel, because of some earlier bad behavior.

Somebody care to explain the difference between the Europa League and the Champions League for a clueless American?

The Europa League is the second tier of European Football. It is contested by teams that didn't qualify for the Champions League. In England it is generally the teams that finish in the top 4 of the Premier League that qualify for the Champions League. The teams finishing 5th/6th and the winner of the FA cup (I think this is right?) qualify for the Europa League.
To confuse things even more, the teams that finish 3rd in the group stages of the Champions League, join the Europa League halfway through the season - giving them a 2nd bite at European glory.

Top Bottom