What's new

Two Times then Throw Em Away!

With Astras I vacillate between 2 and 3 shaves per blade. Similarly, with Feathers and Super Iridiums, it's 4 or 5 per blade.

2 or 3 shaves here. Although I just got my 12th shave out of a Personna 74 and it was better than the first. Going to run that one into the ground to see how far it goes.

I rarely get 3 shaves. But if I'm using a feather I'll get two shaves in my as d1 then put that blade in my r41 and get a couple more shaves out of it. I gots to be frugal with my blades. I ONLY have enough to last me 10 or 11 years.

Also 2 & out. Since I only shave every other day, it's easier to keep track and still only costs me about $10 a year.

Every other shave with feathers. I don't feel tug and pull, but I notice more burn on my skin if I use them beyond two.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
2 shaves with Shark SC for me and then into the blade bank.
proxy.php

attachment.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

I like the the Lord Platinums for a very inexpensive(less smooth but very consistent), and nice, blade that I chuck after 2 shaves.
I use the same edge of the blade for 2 shaves in a row as some blades really smooth out in the 2nd shave(but i prefer blades that are sweet from the start), then I'll use the other edge for the next 2 shaves. If 1 blade edge isn't good for 2 shaves then it is banished from my inventory.

"One and done" for me. I've rarely been able to get a good shave on the 2nd time, so I don't bother trying any more.

Most of my beard is gray now; if it were still mostly pigmented I'd probably be able to get two shaves from a blade.

If I use a DE blade more than once I always regret it. A single shave is enough to finish off a blade, but I have an extremely thick, coarse beard. I can generally get a second shave out of an injector or an SE, but never three.

With the Astra SP i get maybe 3 shaves. My beard isn't all that tough and sure I could get 4 or 5 shaves but I'm going for a great shave not a shave at any cost.
2 shaves and out would work well for me and I think I'll try it for a while....

Aside blade quality, I think the combinations of face prep ( soft beard and slick surface) & blade maintenance ( keeping them dry) extends the amount of shaves per blade. I get 2-4 shaves. That fifth isn't bad, but being frugal is no match for the risk of having my face cut.

Depends on the blade, but I think 2 or 3 shaves on average before I bin em.

That's 2 or 3 shaves of probably 4 passes, then a buff pass, and then a lot of fiddling around).

So, really, for a fair measure, we need a shave/pass conversion algorithm. I mean, if someone else is binning their blades after 2 "shaves" of 1 pass per shave, then, hey, I'm only just warming them up.

Another factor (and I am yet to studiously work through this) is whether the blade composition makes a difference (e.g. chromium, PTFE, super stainless v normal stainless, carbon steel, etc). Some blades seem to "settle" as I work them through the week (e.g. Rubie, Polsilver) and I can squeeze 5 or 6 shaves out of them. I just pushed a Super Thin to 3 shaves and that was too much <makes entry in Perp Note Book>.

Oh, and another possible factor - does anyone fine the blade duration varies if they shave every day or every second day, or it makes no difference?

I'm a 1 and done man myself. But I have just recently improved my technique by changing where I hold the handle and am getting much better shaves, so I might try a 2nd shave on the back of that. I'll only give it 1 attempt though, if it's not comfy I'll be back to 1 and done, not worth the discomfort for a few cents.

Some blades I can get two good shaves out of, but not quite make it to three, so they go after two. Others I can get 4 shaves out of.

Top Bottom