What's new

Two Times then Throw Em Away!

It depends on what blade I'm using. I started with Derbys and I was able to get 4 shaves out of them. However, I have found myself falling in love with the sharper blades and for the last month I've been shaving almost exclusively with Feathers which I find I have to toss after 2 shaves. My experience has been that the first two shaves are smooth and irritation free whilst the third leaves me feeling a little sore and a fourth shave is absolute agony. For me, the low cost of blades just isn't worth the pain of using a dull blade so I just toss them after two uses.

Use only Astras here. My Futur gets a new blade every Monday and Friday. Just got into the routine which takes the guess work out of when to change the blade.

So far I am very surprised at these responses. I figured that a blade worth its weight is good for at least 3 shaves --- I can get 4 our of an SI (basically a week). I suppose if you are using cheaper blades that tossing after 2 wouldnt be a bad idea.

And give up on the "save the money" idea. ;)

i do four shaves (4passes) per blade and toss, but i primarily shave with five blades that would likely give me more than 4 shaves (iridiums, personna meds, gillette blueu extras and gillette silver blues). the other blades i throw in i don't have a rule for. once it goes it goes and this could be in mid-shave. feathers can only go 2 shaves for me so i'm in the process of using them/giving them away.

If I get two shaves out of a blade, I am content, but I will not go beyond three shaves. Using a new blade gives me a feeling of hygene. I am paranoid about a blade getting dirty or rusting, so even if it could last me 5 or 6 shaves, I am not really interested. Blades are cheap enough to change after a couple of shaves. I keep a big stash of all the Supermax range which are dirt cheap, bought in bulk. This suits me perfectly.

If I get two shaves out of a blade, I am content, but I will not go beyond three shaves. Using a new blade gives me a feeling of hygene. I am paranoid about a blade getting dirty or rusting, so even if it could last me 5 or 6 shaves, I am not really interested. Blades are cheap enough to change after a couple of shaves. I keep a big stash of all the Supermax range which are dirt cheap, bought in bulk. This suits me perfectly.

Interesting observation. The hygiene issues raised by re-using blades over and over is something we tend not to think about. Professional barbers don't keep disinfectants around for nothing. After shaves probably don't contain alcohol by accident.

Top Bottom